Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abercrombie opening confirmed!

Options
  • 15-02-2012 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Great news for jobs and retail in the city. Abercrombie have confirmed the opening of the college green store for this year. Should be a fair amount of jobs for this, and a boost to the city as shoppers descend from all over the country :-) love it or loathe it, its good news for the local economy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭bb1234567

liffeylite wrote: »
    Great news for jobs and retail in the city. Abercrombie have confirmed the opening of the college green store for this year. Should be a fair amount of jobs for this, and a boost to the city as shoppers descend from all over the country :-) love it or loathe it, its good news for the local economy.

Ha thats weird I just came onto boards to post a thread asking if anyone knew when abercrombie was opening:p Thanks anyway great news!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Hopefully won't have an adverse effect on the ques outside Hollister in Dundrum!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Do you have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

Which building will they be operating out of?

Which building will they be operating out of?

The old habitat building in college green.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

i heard they are renting out the ground floor of the central bank

Wow, it'll be a big one then. And with a Starbucks across the road. It'll be the spoiled teenager epicentre of Ireland. Great news for Dublin though

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ugh, well at least it'll be funny to laugh at the lemmings queuing outside.

conno16 wrote: »
    i heard they are renting out the ground floor of the central bank

Occupy Dame Street would be thrilled

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

spoiled teenager epicentre

Great news for Dublin though

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Do shops like that really create jobs though? Do other similar stores not suffer and have to let go of staff in these straitened times? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious whether stores like that are that much of a benefit for anyone other than their shareholders and senior management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

soon everyone will wear the A&F and/or hollister uniform..
    this evil plan is about to conquer ireland, its latest victim

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

irishguy wrote: »

Do you have a link?

If you google abercrombie results feb 15th 2012 you will find a press release. Its in there. They are opening in hong kong munich dublin and 2 other cities.

I would say its a very real creator of jobs. I dont think other companies particularly will suffer as it will be offset by the extra footfall of customers the store will bring.

That area of dublin will be busier and the shops around will benefit i am sure :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The site will have more twat per square-foot than The Coombe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Do shops like that really create jobs though? Do other similar stores not suffer and have to let go of staff in these straitened times? I'm not being snarky, I'm genuinely curious whether stores like that are that much of a benefit for anyone other than their shareholders and senior management.

I'm generally sceptical when companies claim things like that in pressers but in this case I think they might be true. If its seen as a 'destination shop' (for want of a better term) then it'll encourage foot traffic and usually help shops in that vicinity. I think the Disney shop has helped Grafton Street for example.

Even if a large US brand opening here gives the appearance of vibrancy in the city centre, it might help the all hallowed 'customer sentiment'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

A shop opening in dublin city centre is hardly amazing news for jobs. It's like having a thread because a new burger king is opening. And a quick google, this was news almost a year ago at least. link
    Woo hoo, posh kids now just don't talk like preppy rich american kids, they can dress like them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Paparazzo wrote: »
    A shop opening in dublin city centre is hardly amazing news for jobs. It's like having a thread because a new burger king is opening. And a quick google, this was news almost a year ago at least. link
    Woo hoo, posh kids now just don't talk like preppy rich american kids, they can dress like them too.

Regardless of your views on this shop, comparing it the opening of a burger king is completely off

Surely you see that even on this thread some are excited by it. Doesn't that tel its own story?

And I say that as some one who thinks its a horrendous shop. But each to their own...

Paparazzo wrote: »

I'd say it could actually create a lot of jobs and will increase footfall down in that area hugely. I remember reading an article about hollister opening in dundrum and it said over 250 people would be employed full and part time by the store. And bear in mind hollister dd is fairly small, and this abercrombie store will be considerably larger and spread over a few floors so I'm guessing this new store could employ anywhere up to 400 full and partime jobs maybe more. No matter what way you look at it, this is good for the economy.

The difference between how many people could/would be employed is usually a lot greater than the amount of people that actually get employed.

Not saying it's a bad thing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

If it's anything like Hollister, I'd expect sales of night vision goggles to go through the roof!

Cannot believe the queues of A&F drones outside these stores. Marketing is indeed a powerful tool.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

now every single person's going to be wearing Abercrombie , snapping!!! i have the fragrance feirce and when every single girl smells it ,they love it, cause they are not use to smelling it in Ireland so its a new one :P when this opens , every single bloke will be wearing this day in day out and it wont be as special :P:D

i see people wearing holister all the time, i remember you would only see a few select people wearing it cause they just got back from the states

and it will be a "d4" dream , triners , then Abercrombie and starbucks across the way. . . . . i know where ill be avoiding :P

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Dodge wrote: »
    Regardless of your views on this shop, comparing it the opening of a burger king is completely off

Surely you see that even on this thread some are excited by it. Doesn't that tel its own story?

And I say that as some one who thinks its a horrendous shop. But each to their own...

I'd be much more excited by a burger king opening....

Have you seen the gobsh*tes queing, that's right QUEING, outside Holister in Dundrum! The women that work in there are great though (think it's a prerequisite to getting the job that you have to be gorgeous?) so it's not all bad news for this opening :D Might even pop in for a gander...

and whoever said this could create 400 jobs.... can I buy some drugs from you?

leggit wrote: »
    Some hotel was opening down in Tipp somewhere, it was supposed to create 300 jobs and it actually created 14 jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭joeperry

I think it's good news for Dublin,sure wont there be country folk coming from far and wide to visit the shop? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Seen some twat I know write on hollister wall a while back 'your about 4 years too late' got loads of likes, 4 years late for what? I don't know if he meant as in that he knew it was a fad or if he was unaware of this but now had jumped on jack willis bandwagon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

stovelid wrote: »
    The site will have more twat per square-foot than The Coombe.

Too fat to fit into their clothes? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Too fat to fit into their clothes? :p

Too non-cunty.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 brambo

I was thinking the same but according to this, up to 300 jobs could be created.

I'd be much more excited by a burger king opening....

Have you seen the gobsh*tes queing, that's right QUEING, outside Holister in Dundrum! The women that work in there are great though (think it's a prerequisite to getting the job that you have to be gorgeous?) so it's not all bad news for this opening :D Might even pop in for a gander...

Ye thats was me who said that and theres nothing wrong with that, hollister dundrum apparently employs 250 people full and part time so this abercrombie store which will be considerably larger and housed over 3 floors I think could well employ about 350 people full and part time.( 400 was a little over the top)

• Advertisement

brambo wrote: »
    I was thinking the same but according to this, up to 300 jobs could be created.

''It is likely that the store will be opening during the Christmas 2012 Abercrombie & Fitch season'':eek:
    Is that a joke?? It was meant to open this xmas but they just got a little delayed, but now there nearly kitted the store out but theyre waiting nearly another entire year to open in xmas 2012?!?

Advertisement