Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abercrombie opening confirmed!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

bb1234567 wrote: »
    The old habitat building in college green.

Great! I'll get to hang around outside looking like I'm one of the cool kids when I'm actually waiting for the 40 bus to Ballyfermot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Terrible news. If hollister and Abercrombie are both available in Ireland how will people know I HAVE BEEN TO AMERICA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Are the rejects from Tallafornia going to be working here? :shudder:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

@marketty.
    Haha, I like this comment. Thou I would think a $90 top in their US stores will probably cost €160 here. That's if their other European stores are anything to go by, eg London. In saying that there's nearly always a large queue there and a&f sales are well up last quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

@marketty.
    Haha, I like this comment. Thou I would think a $90 top in their US stores will probably cost €160 here. That's if their other European stores are anything to go by, eg London. In saying that there's nearly always a large queue there and a&f sales are well up last quarter.

If there is that much of a price difference it would be cheaper to fly to America than buy a few items in the shop here.is it a big brand in the US?I was in one in New York and it wasn't busy nor did I see many people wearing their clothes while I was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

bb1234567 wrote: »
    brambo wrote: »
    I was thinking the same but according to this, up to 300 jobs could be created.

''It is likely that the store will be opening during the Christmas 2012 Abercrombie & Fitch season'':eek:
    Is that a joke?? It was meant to open this xmas but they just got a little delayed, but now there nearly kitted the store out but theyre waiting nearly another entire year to open in xmas 2012?!?

I think the xmas period means sept october. Thats the business quarter. Still, id have hoped they could have opened it in the summer but we shouldnt complain about 300 jobs, even if we have to wait until october. :-)

@yabadabado
    Abercrombie & Fitch is popular with wealthy college kids in some states but not at all in others. It's still expensive even over there, $90 hoodie when you can get a hoodie in Target for say 10 bucks. They got some bad press over the yrs for basically only recruiting 'models' as floor staff n their brand is favoured by gay guys so this put some conservative guys off the brand(thou I think this may have passed over now) American eagle has become very popular.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Polygon_window

i despise this brand!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

They make some good quality stuff which represents great value at the USD price especially if you catch the sale prices. I've a great brown fur lined winter coat from Abercrombie that I got on sale @ $60. Really is fantastic value.

But at the prices they charge in Dundrum and in London? No thank you.

cson wrote: »
    They make some good quality stuff which represents great value at the USD price especially if you catch the sale prices. I've a great brown fur lined winter coat from Abercrombie that I got on sale @ $60. Really is fantastic value.

But at the prices they charge in Dundrum and in London? No thank you.

Can't complain about the quality that's for sure it wears n washes well. I got a heavy hoodie on sale in Dallas for $13, fantastic value. But full price even in the US is high. Great their coming to Dublin, least the option is there for ppl n the employment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

work being done today on college green
    the space inside looks amazing!
    no logos yet tho.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

where exactly is going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

I kinda like the jeans but they'll be mad expensive here I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

is going ex-habitat building, ex boi circa 1970s
    HabitatCG1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

HabitatCG1.jpg

Reduce the brightness on your monitor to its lowest setting and you'll get a fair idea of how it will look once it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Aren't A&F always in the news for treating their employees badly? Or they only hire models or something?

Anyway I'm sure it'll do well, everyone needs an overpriced hoodie with a big logo on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

British firm, pyramid interiors doing the shop fit. Was talking to a few of them there. Nice number, flights, accom and living expenses on top of wages for the duration.
    Seems silly to pay out extra when there's chippies going a begging already here. I guess a&f have used them before so the devil you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

HabitatCG1.jpg

Not be pedantic, but it was a BOI branch even into the 2000s.

Don't worry about finding it, just follow the smell of aftershave and that will lead you to it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 blondielocks

Works being done to the front of the Habitat Store today too! Regardless of how many jobs it may or may not create, it's nice to see that building finally being occupied again, and at least Abercrombie will decorate it well and maintain it. Though the prices for A&F are extortionate outside the States, it's certainly got the market to buy here, DD is always shrouded with flocks of teens lurking around Hollister, and leaving with plenty of bags in tow. I'm not a frenzied fanatic of them, but their stuff washes and wears well, they've got some good jeans and fragrances. I'm wearing a hoodie I bought in there 4 years ago and it's still perfect! They'll do well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Nevore wrote: »
    British firm, pyramid interiors doing the shop fit. Was talking to a few of them there. Nice number, flights, accom and living expenses on top of wages for the duration.
    Seems silly to pay out extra when there's chippies going a begging already here. I guess a&f have used them before so the devil you know.

This American owned business will probably be employing a few locals, many on the minimum wage or less. Probably a few good looking Poles too. And the profits, if any, will leave the country. The shareholders are abroad, and you can bet your bottom dollar the clothes are made in low cost countries where living standards are minimal and people there are lucky to have clothes at all.
    If this new shop is successful, our locally owned clothes shops will not sell as much and will let people go. Overall, I would not get overly excited about a new shop opening in Ireland. Big deal. There are thousands of clothes shops in the country already struggling.
    I am not fooled by the hype of their pr company, but good luck to any business opening all the same in these times.
    stovelid wrote: »
    The site will have more twat per square-foot than The Coombe.
    +1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 eefmcd

lovely company with great hiring practices http://jezebel.com/5479980/american-beauty-a-brief-history-of-abercrombies-hiring-practices clothes so overpriced it is ridiculous, just means more clones on the streets

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

eefmcd wrote: »
    lovely company with great hiring practices http://jezebel.com/5479980/american-beauty-a-brief-history-of-abercrombies-hiring-practices clothes so overpriced it is ridiculous, just means more clones on the streets

Nauseating.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

Hmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

phasers wrote: »
    Aren't A&F always in the news for treating their employees badly? Or they only hire models or something?

I used to live in the US and they were notoriously **** to work for. The reason they'll employ hundreds of workers is because they only give 90% of their staff one shift a week. Basically the idea is to make sure customers never see the same staff two days in a row-keep the employees looking "fresh". Furthermore the pay was absolutely crap compared to other clothing shops. In the mall near me Abercrombie paid $7.25 an hour while Pac Sun (similar teen/twenties demographic) located next door paid $12 an hour for identical work. All the other shops in the place were similar except for Hollister suprise, suprise. Now I can't say whether this was a regional thing or US wide but I suspect the former since even friends from states as far apart as Minnesota and California warned me off working there.

I've heard similar stories emitting from people who used to work in Hollister Dundrum, they get paid more elsewhere for the same work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Don't know why people want to buy clothes with other people's name on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Cianos wrote: »
    Don't know why people want to buy clothes with other people's name on them.

I don't know why people care either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

XXXXXXOMG NRLY THERE!!!!!XXXXX

Advertisement