Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Historical Bank Records

• 15-02-2012 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone if Irish Bank Records older than 15 years are kept anywhere? Are they available from the central bank?

If they exist does anyone know how I may get access to them?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

fits wrote: »
    Does anyone if Irish Bank Records older than 15 years are kept anywhere? Are they available from the central bank?

If they exist does anyone know how I may get access to them?

Thanks in advance

I believe that accounts left dormant for 15 years or more are sent to the NTMA. The Bank has to make attempts to inform the acount holder but if they cannot be reached, then the account will be so transferred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

This enquiry is not in relation to a dormant account.

Rather I am looking for evidence of a number of transactions which occurred around 1980. It was a payment to an american bank account so would have involved checking of exchange rate etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The bank may still hold the record, either in microfiche or computer format. Finding the data would attract a search fee, but I don't know how much.

There are various databases that retain exchange rates, although they would be mid-rate, not the actual rate used.

The branch holding the account say they have no records beyond 7 years. However I did hear that the central bank held records on microfiche, but I'm having no joy in my search so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

fits wrote: »
    The branch holding the account say they have no records beyond 7 years. However I did hear that the central bank held records on microfiche, but I'm having no joy in my search so far.
    What makes you think that the Central Bank (which is a completely different organisation) even know you exist, never mind that you made a transaction 30 years ago?

Your bank may have a limited amount of information held in a warehouse somewhere.

The Central Bank will know the mid-market rate, but nothing of the actual rate that was paid.

• Advertisement

Nothing only the fact that a friend of mine's parents gained access to records in a similar legal case some years ago. I have enquired with both bank of Ireland and central bank but nobody seems to be able to tell me if they are kept or how to get at them if they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 d4head77

Banks are only obliged to keep records for 6 years. With the best will in the world, 1980 records are well gone, unfortunately. With staffing shortages, and storage in typical branches, these tike periods tend nowadays to be adhered to.

Meant to add,only in Jan this year I asked the Ulster Bank in Dublin about a query some eight or ten years ago. They weren't able to assist me at all, though they were very sympathetic about it. Luckily, by sheer chance, i came across the answer elsewhere!

Third post in as many seconds - the Central Bank have nothing whatsoever to do with record-keeping of mainstream public banks. Beyond 6 years, it's pot luck. If a local branxch simply hasn't had a clear-out for some time, it's possible that by accident something beyond 6 yeaqrs still exists, but exceptionally unlikely.

Many thanks :) I think we've found what we needed by other means.

• Advertisement
Advertisement