Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

urban market spencer dock

Options
  • 15-02-2012 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when this opens? I believe it was meant to be this month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bb1234567

liffeylite wrote: »
    Anyone know when this opens? I believe it was meant to be this month?

Never heard of it before now, looked it up and it looks really cool. Great idea, seems similar to theenglish market in cork:) Might visit sometime..oh ye sorry i dunno when itll open:p

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Brillaint idea, and a great building too.. Needs a bar or two though, just like the one in Budapest

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Brillaint idea, and a great building too.. Needs a bar or two though, just like the one in Budapest
    Ye its an excellent idea, and a stunning building too.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

bb1234567 wrote: »
    A Disgrace wrote: »
    Ye its an excellent idea, and a stunning building too.

Totall agree. I think there is to be a bar/cafe going in. It was definatley due open in feb...

It will be good for the docklands, and with the imax and cinema opening in 4 weeks in the point village, a real boost to the area.

Totall agree. I think there is to be a bar/cafe going in. It was definatley due open in feb...

It will be good for the docklands, and with the imax and cinema opening in 4 weeks in the point village, a real boost to the area.

I heard that big cinema and the shopping centre and also that big building called the ''watchtower'' in point village were all cancelled for the foreseeable future due to the financial crisis? Or are all 3 things opening or just the cinema by itself?Good news nonetheless even if its just the cinema part, if they really want to successfully move ''town''from grafton/henry/oconnel street area to the docklands theyll need stuff like this market,cinema and shopping centre to actually attract people to this area and make it popular and profitable.Other projects the ddda have done such as the convention centre,grand canal square and theatre and the 02 are all great but they wont keep people in the area ,theyll either only live there or just come for the show/concert then leave as theres nothing else nearby to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

bb1234567 wrote: »

I heard that big cinema and the shopping centre and also that big building called the ''watchtower'' in point village were all cancelled for the foreseeable future due to the financial crisis? Or are all 3 things opening or just the cinema by itself?Good news nonetheless even if its just the cinema part, if they really want to successfully move ''town''from grafton/henry/oconnel street area to the docklands theyll need stuff like this market,cinema and shopping centre to actually attract people to this area and make it popular and profitable.Other projects the ddda have done such as the convention centre,grand canal square and theatre and the 02 are all great but they wont keep people in the area ,theyll either only live there or just come for the show/concert then leave as theres nothing else nearby to do.

The cinema is opening seperatley to the other parts of the point village. The watchtower is postponed yes, but they are still trying to open the shopping centre. I think dunnes is signed as the anchor tenant but i dont think there is an opening date at the moment.

The fact the cinema has an imax screen should really help it bring in people day and night. But youre right, there still needs to be more facilities to make it busy all the time.

Its a start though :-) hopefully it will help the chq building and spencer dock area too.

The cinema is opening seperatley to the other parts of the point village. The watchtower is postponed yes, but they are still trying to open the shopping centre. I think dunnes is signed as the anchor tenant but i dont think there is an opening date at the moment.

The fact the cinema has an imax screen should really help it bring in people day and night. But youre right, there still needs to be more facilities to make it busy all the time.

Its a start though :-) hopefully it will help the chq building and spencer dock area too.

What is IMAX exactly, is it much different to the usual cinema screens say in blanchardstown or dundrum?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It needs all the help it can get imo, but I think that this may be too little too late. Over half of the retail units in the chq building are sitting empty. The Meadows & Byrne store and the clothes shop beside it both closed after Xmas. I imagine it won't be long before the rest of the shops there close too. The likes of Starbucks and O'Briens will always be able to make money off the multitude of office workers at lunch time. Home furnishing stores and wine merchants and clothing shops won't be so lucky. The area is like a ghost town on weekends. There are a decent amount of restaurants and pubs in the area, especially around the Mayor Sq Luas stops if area residents or O2 show goers want to eat and drink locally. But for real shopping and entertainment, town is the only real option. I can't really see a Dunnes or a cinema changing that when town is a 10 minute walk or a 3 minute LUAS ride away.

Advertisement