Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cards when abroad ....

• 15-02-2012 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm just wondering if someone can clarify something before I head off on my Holidays.

I'm heading off to Australia in a few weeks and I've saved all my spending money but obviously I don't want to bring it all in cash. Now I have a Visa debit card and a Mastercard Credit card that I clear every month. Which one of these would be the best to put the cash into or are they both the same ??

Thanks in advance

A

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Which bank are you with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Be VERY careful about front-loading a credit card, often it breeches the terms of use of the card and you can find that you no longer have protection in the event of fraud!!

If you're going to Australia for a short time, you should just use your Irish bank cards as normal. Any Irish bank ATM card will work in Australian ATMs, provided that it has a Cirrus or Plus facility on it.

Laser Card, with Maestro co-branding will also work. In some cases you may be able to use this in store with chip and PIN too, although most retailers are confused by it as it's mainly branded Laser.

Visa Debit works anywhere that will take Visa, so if you have a PTSB or UlsterBank debit card it works no problem.

The best way to use your credit card is to setup internet banking. Use your credit card as normal, and clear it every month from your current account.

Personally, I think if you're abroad, it's often a bit safer to use a credit card as it acts as a buffer between your current account and the outside world. In the event of fraud, you're only losing the bank's money! Where as if your card's skimmed and your current account's cleared out you're seriously stuck.

For anyone else reading the thread who might be going to be moving to Australia permanently, you might want to have a word with your bank and find out how you can transfer funds to an Australian bank account.

Australia and NZ do not use the European IBAN/BIC code system. So, it may be more difficult to setup automated bank transfers. You might have to do things the old fashioned way.

If you're with AIB, make sure that you get a code generator / card reader from them. This will allow you to do all sorts of transactions on the internet and authorise them securely.

If you're with Bank of Ireland, make sure that you setup your mobile phone on their online banking. This allows you to authorise online payments and setup new payments by sending a code to your mobile phone which you have to confirm with the site.

Advertisement