Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 1 (PC)

Options
  • 15-02-2012 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭

Is this game still worth getting?

I played ME2 on the PS3 and going to get ME3 on the PC.
    Never played ME1 so wondering if I am missing anything? Will it even work on a Windows 7 PC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Mass Effect 1 is still fantastic and definitely worth picking up. While combat isn't as fluid as the sequels, it has stronger RPG elements so offers a slightly different experience overall.

It will work perfectly on Windows 7. It's still using the Unreal Engine 3 after all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It works for me on Windows 7 64-bit. So short answer, yes - well worth getting.

Longer answer:
    I tried, unsuccessfully, three times to get into Mass Effect 1. I never managed to get past Noveria, not once. That was after a few hours of game time.

Then I played Mass Effect 2 all the way through - first time too. And thoroughly enjoyed it. Even though I enjoyed it, I felt I was missing something with the history Shepherd has with the previous game's characters, so I went back and gave Mass Effect another go. Success! Not only did I play through it, I then took that character through ME2 and then started ME1 again.

Mass Effect 1 has a better story and RPG-wise... it's a lot deeper. The combat is a good bit better in ME2, but they complement each other quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,848 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya it's a great game but I preferred ME2. Def recommend it to round off the series. I remember ME 2 was being released on PS3 so I picked up ME 1 on my crappy PC, all low settings, and I just ran through the main missions to clear it. The I used the interactive comic on ME 2 with mimic the decisions I made in 1.

I'd say a lot of stuff in ME 1 will be referenced or make an appearance in ME 3 so worth it for that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GT_Dublin

Works fine on Win 7, I played it on Win 7 64-bit via Steam with no issues.

I loved the game, still haven't found the time to play ME2 though, must get around to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

If you give ME1 time its a great game, no point rushing through it as you're losing out on half the experience. The story is far more epic and wipes the floor with ME2 and although there are few annoying things and weaker combat I easily preferred it overall to the sequel.

Probably won't have the same effect when you already know all about the reapers but still well worth playing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm playing through it at the moment, for what must be the 10th time. It's still an excellent game, with some great moments. Definitely worth playing, and continuing on to the 2nd and soon to be released 3rd games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Playing at the moment, it was on sale last week on origin and was €3.

Here's a code for Brining down the Sky, you used to need to register the game to get it (cost for a while on 360 at least) but since EA and origin took over that bioware link no longer works. The code below is unlimited uses and is linked to in the Bioware forums as well as given to me by Origin support.

Download the link (direct from Bioware) and when asked enter code( i tried to enter the serial into origin and then had to get onto EA help and they then sent the code listed in the forums that i already had ;) )

http://files.bioware.com/masseffect/dlc/MassEffect_BDtS_ES_a.exe

3FLL-43UU-JTN8-W8EX-25J3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Playing ME2 before ME1 would ruin it in my opinion. I never enjoyed ME1 for it's gameplay but for it's awesome story and wanting to know what the hell reapers were, although playing ME1 for when you get to talk to a reaper and just what the happened to the Prothean's is worth it, even though you could just youtube those scenes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

KilOit wrote: »
    Playing ME2 before ME1 would ruin it in my opinion. I never enjoyed ME1 for it's gameplay but for it's awesome story and wanting to know what the hell reapers were, although playing ME1 for when you get to talk to a reaper and just what the happened to the Prothean's is worth it, even though you could just youtube those scenes

The above is my worry, that it has been ruined storywise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Not really a spoiler but best stick tags on to be safe..
    The main story basically revolves around finding out what the story is with the Reapers and Protheans, obviously you already know by the second game so that'll undoubtedly lessen the experience somewhat. The Reapers are built up as a mysterious race and it was probably one of my favourite gaming moments finding out the truth in that conversation towards the end.

Its a great game and if you're willing to take your time and immerse yourself instead of powering through it then I'd say still well worth playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

It's my preferred Mass Effect game. It's a pretty good RPG. Shooting mechanics are not as enjoyable as ME2 but personally I feel it's a better game than ME2.
    Also, it can be added to Origin as well if you like that sort of thing (although I did have to get onto origin support to actually get it to register as there seemed to be a bug with my cd-key.)

For €5 I may as well get it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's well worth the buy imo. It's also well ported and works well on integrated Intel HD laptops/desktops.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's well worth the buy imo. It's also well ported and works well on integrated Intel HD laptops/desktops.

Hmm, interesting...i'm going to be stuck in Heathrow for 2 days with my work laptop, which has the above card. Maybe i'll have something to do all day afterall.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Imo it's the best of the series.. (That could change March 9th ;)).. i find that ME1 is more open than 2.. i felt 2 was more restricting (decision wise) than the previous one.. also when it comes to RPG's that intertwine with each other it's best to start from the first one..

Also ME1 Looks amazing on high settings for it's age..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Can anyone remember how long it took to complete ? I've completed both before, but wouldn't mind a refresher course in the story before the 3rd is released.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Can anyone remember how long it took to complete ? I've completed both before, but wouldn't mind a refresher course in the story before the 3rd is released.

i'm redoing it again and looked at my completed save it was around 23hrs (with DLCs).. and when i play Mass Effect i leave no stone unturned.. if you do just the main story you could complete it in 12 - 15 hrs i say..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I was putting of playing me1 until someone came up with a nvidia surround fix. but with me3 coming out i'll probably play it on a single screen. shame as it would be so nice in surround

Skatedude wrote: »
    I was putting of playing me1 until someone came up with a nvidia surround fix. but with me3 coming out i'll probably play it on a single screen. shame as it would be so nice in surround
    Surround 3D or 2D?? either way it's great :D I'm currently playing in 3D, and for an old game it looks amazing..

Just got it on PC this time, will do ME3 on xbox and keep on with my saves from ME1/2 on xbox.

This way I can be a c*nt on PC and not care about having to carry the character over :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Didn't see the point of starting a new thread, so I'l post here,

I'm thinking of getting the origianl Mass Effect on Xbox 360, is it worth it?

Its 20 quid on xbl.

Yeah, it's brilliant.

Q: Have you played 2 or 3 yet, or just starting from scratch ?

I've MADE my mates buy 1 and 2 and play through them before they start on 3.
    1 is excellent in it's own right, great story....there are 1 or 2 annoying things (The Mako) , and the combat is a bit clunky compared to 2 and 3.
    But it's still a 9/10 game, and the series just improves as you go.

I can't reccomend that you start the series highly enough :D
    Enjoy ,,,,I'm actually jealous that you get to play it for the first time :) , you're in for a treat.

I left it for 2 years, so it was sort of lost in memory, and played through it all again in preperation for 3

Was well worth buying, only finished it last Sunday.
    Downloading all the DLC, that came with ME2, as I type. Roll on ME2 baby

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

Didn't see the point of starting a new thread, so I'l post here,

I'm thinking of getting the origianl Mass Effect on Xbox 360, is it worth it?

Its 20 quid on xbl.

Great game, but learn to save your game yourself every so often as the auto-save feature is useless and you could end up replaying 20 mins of boring stuff

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Yeah, it's brilliant.

Q: Have you played 2 or 3 yet, or just starting from scratch ?

I've MADE my mates buy 1 and 2 and play through them before they start on 3.
    1 is excellent in it's own right, great story....there are 1 or 2 annoying things (The Mako) , and the combat is a bit clunky compared to 2 and 3.
    But it's still a 9/10 game, and the series just improves as you go.

I can't reccomend that you start the series highly enough :D
    Enjoy ,,,,I'm actually jealous that you get to play it for the first time :) , you're in for a treat.

I left it for 2 years, so it was sort of lost in memory, and played through it all again in preperation for 3

Thanks for the reply,

Yes this will be my first time playing me, sounds like a great game I just never got around to buying it for some season.

That's my night sorted after the football so!

Was well worth buying, only finished it last Sunday.
    Downloading all the DLC, that came with ME2, as I type. Roll on ME2 baby

Can you get the ME 2 on xbl market place?

ME 1 is the best in the series imo.. so don't skip it... i can't believe i over looked this game in the past.. i decided to pick it up after i had no games to lay and loved it instantly... this was only about 2 - 3 yrs back..

Not a clue, am on PC

i don't think you can.. but i saw it for less than 10 euro on ebay (used)..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Its not for sale as of yet on XBLA, I bought it on amazon for 15 euro and two books to get over the 25 euro for free delivery. It arived just as I got home with the Witcher 2... im going to be very unsociable for the foreseeable future :D

Advertisement