Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spanish village dumps euro & goes back to peseta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Nice. I'm now looking forward to the first Irish village abandoning the Euro and going back to potatoes :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Nice. I'm now looking forward to the first Irish village abandoning the Euro and going back to potatoes :cool:

nah all our spuds are imported from cyprus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I admire them. Currencies should be able to compete and in the digital age this would be even easier to acomplish.

Printing money, like the US and UK has been doing, makes poor people even poorer because it leads to inflation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Good on them they have back bone f@ck the useless euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

There's something very Whisky Galore about all this.

• Advertisement

Feeona wrote: »
    There's something very Whisky Galore about all this.

?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

I admire them. Currencies should be able to compete and in the digital age this would be even easier to acomplish.

Printing money, like the US and UK has been doing, makes poor people even poorer because it leads to inflation.

No it doesn't - poor people don't have cash savings, so inflation means nothing to them. Moderate inflation is generally good for the less well off, as it encourages people with cash savings to spend or invest it, creating jobs.

Anyway, the village aren't dumping the euro, shopkeepers are encouraging people to dig out old pesetas they've forgotten about and spend them in their shops. Pesetas can still be converted to Euros, but it means people with pesetas won't have to go to Madrid to convert them.

If somewhere was really going to dump the euro, going back to pesetas would be the stupidest move imaginable, as old peseta notes would become worthless if the euro collapsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

patwicklow wrote: »
    ?????

I'm not sure if you're asking about the film, or questioning the link I've made to what's happening in Spain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I hear the basques have started trading in bombs:p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Domo230 wrote: »
    Call me economically naive but why would they start doing this? If a business sells it's goods in exchange for a dead currency then what use is it to them? There's only a few dozen people in the world who will take their money? Why do the banks want what this dead currency?

To keep the money floating around the local economy?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-16852326

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

patwicklow wrote: »
    f@ck the useless euro

Any "useless" euros you have floating around, just PM me for my address and I'll be happy to lighten the load.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    No it doesn't - poor people don't have cash savings, so inflation means nothing to them.

Wrong.
    In economics, inflation is a rise in the general level of prices of goods and services in an economy over a period of time. When the general price level rises, each unit of currency buys fewer goods and services.

Economists generally agree that high rates of inflation and hyperinflation are caused by an excessive growth of the money supply.

Robert Barro and Vittorio Grilli (1994), European Macroeconomics, Ch. 8, p. 139, Fig. 8.1. Macmillan.

Poor people have low incomes or are on welfare. They have no money to play with after their outgoings, ergo, inflation (increasing amounts of currency chasing finite amounts of goods and services as per above) results in a lowering in quality of life.

How you work out that people with savings (surplus wealth) are affected by inflation more than the poor is some distortion of logic.
    Inflation has hit poorer families much harder than the rich, the latest research shows – and the trend is set to deteriorate. The independent Institute for Fiscal Studies says that for a decade the pattern of price rises has meant that the least well-off families, especially pensioners, have been hit hardest by rising prices.

The Independent, Business News

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Why not operate a dual currency again? Punt and euro.. Print the punt, spend the punt.. Save the euro.

Feeona wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're asking about the film, or questioning the link I've made to what's happening in Spain?

Didnt know that was a film ye got me there lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Good for them, they talking sense. It be worth doing that for their economy.

doovdela wrote: »
    Good for them, they talking sense. It be worth doing that for their economy.

yes people power is best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

When will the people who have €361 million worth of punts spend them I wonder.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/pricewatch/2012/02/10/where-has-all-the-old-money-gone/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Potatoes..na too bulky how about curly fries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

When will the people who have €361 million worth of punts spend them I wonder.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/pricewatch/2012/02/10/where-has-all-the-old-money-gone/

When the occupy dame st protest is finished and the Central Bank reverse their no old copper coins policy...thats what the campout is really about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Ole!..........l have about 8000 pesetas .Villamayor here I come.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

No wonder Spain suffers such high unemployment when the some citizens have the same level of economic knowledge as a bunch of children in a playschool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Isn't there an Irish town that's done the same thing? They made their own currency to keep money in the local economy and you can get it exchanged for Euro easily enough. I remember seeing it on the news a while ago. Not sure if they're still at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

We say potata they say peseta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

It reminds me of "Itchy & Scratchy Money", like regular money but "fun" (and not accepted anywhere).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I have monopoly notes and connect four discs. Anyone want to barter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I have monopoly notes and connect four discs. Anyone want to barter?
    I'll give ya half a chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Johro wrote: »
    I'll give ya half a chicken.

I'll give you two yellow discs for half a chicken. If you want four in a row I'm gonna need a whole chicken.

Advertisement