Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barry Doyle found guilty of the murder of Shane Geoghegan

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Wow! Thanks for that, I was sure he was gonna get off with it based on the evidence, trial and media reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

You are against murder? controversial position

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Scumbags 0 - 1 Normal Society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

It's a disgrace, he should definitely spend at least 10 years behind bars for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I'd have the little waste of oxygen hanged, personally.

But at least he's locked up now. One down, hundreds to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

here's hoping Shane's family will feel like they've gotten some sort of justice/closure after being through hell over the last few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

lastlaugh wrote: »
    It's a disgrace, he should definitely spend at least 10 years behind bars for that.

Yeah, but that's it isn't it? You get about 10 years for murder in this country. A life sentence doesn't mean life even if the person who is convicted is believed likely to offend again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Scumbags 0 - 1 Normal Society

dont be deluded, "normal society" are well behind in this game.
    there are dozens of Barry Doyles out there,willing to carry out the evil dirty work of the drug gangs rather than "rat them out" and also save their own skins. the dogs on the streets in Limerick know who ordered this killing, and many more.
    to me the defence lawyers that spent the last 2 weeks in a phychological battle with the jury are on par with these scumbags.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Yeah, but that's it isn't it? You get about 10 years for murder in this country. A life sentence doesn't mean life even if the person who is convicted is believed likely to offend again.

Depends
    Some get out early, some don't

Malcolm McArthur served close to thirty years

Noel and Marie Murray were convicted in 1975 and they will be never be released. Well not until they are about to die maybe

There were two British men convicted of attacking women in Ireland and served over thirty years, one died a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

Why does every single media report on this have to say "rugby player Shane Geoghegan"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

There are plenty of prisoners in Ireland who have served 20 years plus, some who have served 35+ years for murder
    Brian Fortune
    John Shaw
    jeff Evans
    Frank McCann, to name but a few.
    It is an Urban Myth that Life sentence prisoners get out after 10 years.
    I hope this guy serves a long long time , but I'd prefer if people commenting relied on facts not urban myth when commenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Some good news for a change, may the scumbags stay in prison be an unpleasant one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Happy for the family.

Hopefully a decent stretch. Should have had another 10 years tacked on for smiling. The tramp.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

DaveyCakes wrote: »
    Why does every single media report on this have to say "rugby player Shane Geoghegan"?

Cause he was captain of garryowen and rugby players are usually seen as decent blokes?

You think Barry Doyle played rugby at any stage?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Don't know, maybe it's an effort to humanise the story, so that people don't forget who was killed (as opposed to other gang menebers who have been shot dead in Limerick in the past, for whom the public may have less sympathy).

Maybe it's to stress the point that Shane Geoghegan was innocent and had no involvement whatsoever in gangland activity without being politically incorrect.

Now to watch this thread descend into a "Oh, so being a rugby player automatically means you're better than every one else?" rant. Rabble rabble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Why don't you just delete that stupid comment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd have the little waste of oxygen hanged, personally.

But at least he's locked up now. One down, hundreds to go.

Yes he should have got a suspended sentence
    from the nearest tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

lastlaugh wrote: »

10 years :eek::eek: are you the judge or something? A life for a life, if you cant take the cúnts then let him spend the rest of his years behind bars. Thats what you'd want if it was your child that was shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Why don't you just delete that stupid comment?
    I think it was a perfectly valid observation on how the media report and view these crimes, whilst trying not to print anything that may jeopardise the court case.

If they had come out with a line like "the victim was known to Gardai...", etc., it's their way of subtly letting the public know the crime was a result of gangland crime = victim was a scumbag = editorial on how gangs are taking over the streets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    I think it was a perfectly valid observation on how the media report and view these crimes, whilst trying not to print anything that may jeopardise the court case.

If they had come out with a line like "the victim was known to Gardai...", etc., it's their way of subtly letting the public know the crime was a result of gangland crime = victim was a scumbag = editorial on how gangs are taking over the streets

OK, fair enough. Thought the tone was of the post was different. Apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Wow! Thanks for that, I was sure he was gonna get off with it based on the evidence, trial and media reports.

The evidence did not get him convicted in the first trial.

This was the second trial. The first time Doyle did not get convicted of murder despite Doyle admitted that he set out that night fully armed to kill someone, and admitting that he chased Shane, shot him, and had time to listen to Shane beg for his life.

Then after he was caught Doyle went for the "it is not murder as I shot the wrong man" defence.

Five times he shot Shane Geoghegan, four of them whilst Shane was on the ground, and he also had time to listen to him beg for his life and to see that it was the wrong man, and still Doyle shot him in the head.

The disgrace is the the Geoghegan family had to sit through two trials in order to see that animal jailed for murder.

I just hope that life means life in terms of Doyle's sentence, and I would be very happy to pick up a newspaper someday and read of a story of how he had an agonising death in jail in which he had begged for his life before being killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

His brother was Paddy Dolye who was shot in Spain. Apparently the brother Paddy was a hit man who is said to have killed up to 5 people himself.

Some Family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

jayteecork wrote: »
    Cause he was captain of garryowen and rugby players are usually seen as decent blokes?

That is an outrageous comment to make TBF. Bloke???WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The 26-year-old from Portland Row, Dublin, smiled as the jury returned its verdict at the Central Criminal Court after nearly six hours deliberations.
    Smiled.....christ I hope he gets split from an arse hammering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yes he should have got a suspended sentence
    from the nearest tree.

I suppose an eye for an eye comment will have all the PC and Civil Rights people rushing to boards and this thread:rolleyes:

If I was a tree I'd hate to have that hanging from me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

lividduck wrote: »
    There are plenty of prisoners in Ireland who have served 20 years plus, some who have served 35+ years for murder
    Brian Fortune
    John Shaw
    jeff Evans
    Frank McCann, to name but a few.
    It is an Urban Myth that Life sentence prisoners get out after 10 years.
    I hope this guy serves a long long time , but I'd prefer if people commenting relied on facts not urban myth when commenting.

It's not an Urban Myth, plenty can now.

If those people all served 35 years then it's that long since they were convicted, when sentencing was a little tougher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

His brother was Paddy Dolye who was shot in Spain. Apparently the brother Paddy was a hit man who is said to have killed up to 5 people himself.

Some Family.

Most of us don't really give a s*ite if they kill each other right, infact it be doing us a favour, it's when the innocent get brought into it......

You're dead right, some family indeed, proud parents I'm sure :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Yes, "bloke." Colloquialism for a male. What in the name of God has you going spastic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Hardly 'outrageous' tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Yes, "bloke." Colloquialism for a male. What in the name of God has you going spastic?

That's not how you spell "block".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Namlub wrote: »
    Hardly 'outrageous' tbf

Of course it is generalisation in the highest order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Good.. Justice served and without mentioning names lets hope the rest of the evidence will result in another conviction. Barry Doyle won't see the outside for at least twenty years now. Idiots getting involved in those activities.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Most of us don't really give a s*ite if they kill each other right, infact it be doing us a favour, it's when the innocent get brought into it..

unfortunately this had been the attitude in Limerick for years, "ah sure let them at,eventually they'll wipe each other out". this is barstool talk and simply kicking the can down the road. internment should have been introduced for these gang leaders years ago. its what they deserve.!
    Shane was murdered,as was Roy Collins,again totally innocent,as was nightclub bouncer Brian Fitzgerald,murdered for simply doing his job.
    all murdered by the same gang.
    we need to take a really tough line on all this,or are we happy to see tragic headlines become commonplace,like again last week with Melanie McCarthy.??:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

washman3 wrote: »
    unfortunately this had been the attitude in Limerick for years, "ah sure let them at,eventually they'll wipe each other out". this is barstool talk and simply kicking the can down the road. internment should have been introduced for these gang leaders years ago. its what they deserve.!
    Shane was murdered,as was Roy Collins,again totally innocent,as was nightclub bouncer Brian Fitzgerald,murdered for simply doing his job.
    all murdered by the same gang.
    we need to take a really tough line on all this,or are we happy to see tragic headlines become commonplace,like again last week with Melanie McCarthy.??:mad:
    Is internment an option in this country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I was about to ask the same question myself. Its not in the least bit relevant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

jayteecork wrote: »

You think Barry Doyle played rugby at any stage?
    Huh? Still don't see the point in the constant mention of it by media, didn't think rugby players were usually seen as decent blokes - just rugby players, and maybe Doyle did play rugby. All kinds play it in Limerick.

When you say "decent" are you meaning middle-class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Namlub wrote: »
    Hardly 'outrageous' tbf

Of course it is generalisation in the highest order!
    Wtf?! What is it you're objecting to? You're not being clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I never understood the relevance of the rugby player bit either. I also never understood in the Eamonn Lillis / Celine Cawley case why the media, in reporting the case, regularly used a photograph of her when she was a teenage model. She was 46 when she was killed and looked a lot different, as you would expect, to her teenage years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Life is cheap in Ireland these days? He ended the life of an innocent man and therefore he should forfeit his own freedom for the rest of his natural life. Life should mean life, but unfortunately it never does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

He will now face life 10 years in prison for gunning down the Garryowen captain on November 9, 2008 at Clonmore, Kilteragh, Dooradoyle.

fixed that for you

why isnt a life sentence actually a life sentence? why don't they just say a ten year sentence like it really is

• Advertisement

Is internment an option in this country?

dont think so, but that could be changed quickly if only the will was there to do so. the government have no problem changing the law when the skins of their cronies are at stake, aka the bank guarantee extension and the introduction of NAMA.
    internment was introduced in Ulster during the troubles but was grossly abused by the authorities there at the time. this example will always be used as an arguement by those who oppose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I think the most amazing part of this trial was his "not guilty" approach. What a complete and utter waste of time, legal fees, etc. He admitted shooting him beforehand....case cosed - guilty. Have I missed something?

Is shooting the wrong person an escape from a murder charge? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jimmi3nuts

Glad to see him go down. His brother died in Estepona in 2008, another so called hitman, but just your typical Dublin scumbag. Portland Row, is generally quiet good at breeding these type of punks.The area is the homestead of the hutch family and all those who support their crime empire. The locals are not much better. A quick drive through it reveals old corpo houses with thousands spent on them, great big chunks of tacky marble floors and matching dining tables. One less family to worry about now.

Advertisement