Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yet another "What Bike?" Thread

• 15-02-2012 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭

Hey all

I'm now 6 months into my permit and waiting for a test date. Currently ride a 1000cc Varadero but not in passionate lust with it and half thinking of changing.

What I like about the Varadero is:

Power - it's a V Twin so even though it's restricted it has plenty of go. 70ish on the motorway is 3-4k rpm in top and at that it has plenty in reserve to overtake. I am told it's restricted but I've never felt the restriction kick in (even when taking it through the rev range in 1st) and it's a nice big torquey engine

Comfort - maybe I'm getting old but I like being able to hop on the bike and go to Cork from Limerick, do a days work and ride home again once in a while without any aches or pains

Practicality - nice bog top box for my laptop so no need to faff with rucksacks or tank bags if I'm going on a trip. And after I pass the test it's the sort of bike that I can go on long tours with

What I don't like:

Styling - looks like it's been hit with the ugly stick (a magazine said it looks like a hippo in a sweaty sock). It just doesn't make my pulse race looking at it

Dated - it's a 2002 so instruments are an analog tacho, speedo and heat indicator. Not even a petrol gauge (just a warning light when you get low)

Economy - Huge tank but it's thirstier than I expected

What I'm meh about:

- It's size, height and weight. At first it scared the crap out of me but I'm kinda used to it now. A smaller, lighter bike might be easier to manage for a novice though?

I like sports bikes but don't want to be an organ doner and I like the idea of touring but dislike tourers or crusiers. Like naked bikes but unsure about the practicalities. Would like a Monster but think the insurance would be a bit high. Any ideas for stuff I could look at? No particular budget, I'm really just scoping out options.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Have you considered staying on something similar? The BMW GS, Ducati Multistrada or KTM Adventure are the main competitors to what you have now. All fine bikes in their own ways.

The F650gs (which I'm on myself) might also be a good alternative for you, particularly the newer 800cc version, which wouldn't be as big a step down power wise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I like sports bikes but don't want to be an organ doner

*slow clap*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I like sports bikes but don't want to be an organ doner

*slow clap*

Jesus, over sensitive or what? I don't have the experience to manage a full on sports bike, I'm not judging the people that ride them so no need for attitude.

@agile myth, cheers good suggestions there but I think 1200 might be a bit big. The F650gs looks good interesting and I've found a tidy looking one for sale at a decent price. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Bandit 1200 wooooo they're lovely.
    Zrx 1100 are nice aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

How about a sports tourer? Something like a Honda Blackird, BMW K1200RS, Kawazaki Z100SX, FJR, VFR?

Just reread your OP, most of my suggestions are way above what you are legally allowed to ride and I have no idea how they would react to being restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Do you want it for commuting, touring, spin on a sunday or everything?
    What about this: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2978001
    Or this: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/3015869

I have a 1200gs and find it the perfect all round bike. Idealy I'd have a second bike, something a bit more mental like a ducati monster but can't afford to. Only problem with the gs is, there's loads of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Varadero has a very upright riding position - is that what you prefer? If so, have a look at VStorm 650 - should be more efficient, and plenty of very happy owners around. F650gs is probably lighter on juice, but I hear things go wrong with them time to time.

Most sports tourers would be more suitable for relaxed yet sporty long distance cruising I would imagine - like the VFR linked above, or if you prefer larger engines, how about an FJR? Not sure how these bikes would take the restriction - may be you are better off with a 600 until the restriction period is over? I ride a restricted Fazer 600, and it does motorway limit and then some, not a bother. I get about 62 mpg or so (4.3 l/100km) as well.

Cheers, thanks for all the suggestions, lots of food for thought.

To answer Paparazzo it is mainly for a 10 mile daily round trip hack through traffic to work but occasional longer day trips and weekend / week long trips. Which is why I really like the look of the 1200GS but they are pricey and I don't know how I would manage insurance and restriction on one. The F650GS looks like a really good alternative.

Sports tourers look attractive but again the engine size and restrictions would again be an issue. A mate of mine has the 650 VStrom and he loves it but it's another one that looks a bit meh. The Fazer is a different thing though - there is one parked outside work most days and it looks great, if it's able for a 70ish cruise on a motorway I'd be be very interested in that.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Restricted Fazer would easily do about 90 mph (~150 kmph).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I had a 400 virago and that would do 70mph no problems. You don't need big bikes to do motorway speeds.

• Advertisement

Yea I'm probably biased against small cc bikes after the dog of a honda 250 I did my IBT on, struggled to get up to 50 on the open road.

I see where you are coming from on how any bike can get to motorway speed but on a smaller bike wouldn't you be revving the nuts off it to have it sitting at 70, compared to 3 - 4k rpm on my bike? A mate is talking about riding to France or Germany next year and the idea of sitting on a 400cc at 10krpm for 6 hours wouldn't get me too excited tbh!

Hard to imagine a 250 struggling to do 50 mph. Even a Honda 50 would do that speed no problem! May be the rider training school had it over-restricted, just in case! :)

I think you should try riding a few different models. I really cant' see the sense in riding large engine bikes on restriction. Restricted to 33 bhp, the heavier the bike, the poorer the performance. Of course torque etc comes into picture, but in general, I personally don't feel the need for anything over 600 during the restriction period. Restricted Fazer will maintain 80 mph at around 6.5k rpm. I think restriction stops it from going over 7.5-8k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

A restricted GS will do 92mph (according to the restriction kit). Restriction kit is a trottle stop which on the GS is a pain the ass as you have to change gear earlier which is annoying.

I have one (not restricted) and it's a great bike, and is ok restricted, but as above not great.

OP, if you want to change bikes, go try a few out especially if it's more looks you're after than speed.

99% of restricted bikes will do 70+mph easily, whether the restriction kit kills the acceleration or just the top speed is what makes it ok on restriction or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Yamaha FZ6 restricted is a absolute great bike....it is just a brilliant all round bike. Its has comfort, speed and looks like an R6 = WINNER!

Advertisement