Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing dead hedge row

Options
  • 15-02-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

Had a Griselenia hedge row which died last year due to the frost. Now looking for a good replacement hedge which is easy to maintain, with maximum privacy as we are pretty exposed. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

amber2 wrote: »
    Had a Griselenia hedge row which died last year due to the frost. Now looking for a good replacement hedge which is easy to maintain, with maximum privacy as we are pretty exposed. Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Yew hedge.

Upsides.....Evergreen,thick and easy to maintain.Great privacy

Downsides............ slow growing amd uber expensive to buy,compared to othwer hedges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

amber2 wrote: »

I have the same issue. I was thinking of going Hornbeam hedging but would prefer something with thorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Dug out my griselenia a few months back, it had died back completely and the root ball was was easy to pull up. Dug in some fresh compost, just planted a copper beech hedge, 12" spacing, good value, around 1.70 per plant. Copper beech although deciduous holds onto its leaves over winter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Dug out my griselenia a few months back, it had died back completely and the root ball was was easy to pull up. Dug in some fresh compost, just planted a copper beech hedge, 12" spacing, good value, around 1.70 per plant. Copper beech although deciduous holds onto its leaves over winter.

1 euro 70 a plant??

Please tell that was not bare root,because you were done over,if it was.

Would be a good idea to also add in some manure and/or fertilizer pellets to each hedge that you plant.

Water often too,and also water the soil all around the area too,not just the soil where the hedge is.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

Holly is a good idea. It's evergreen, nice to look at, can be the standard dark green or variegated and provides berries for the birds. It also tolerates shade and isn't very expensive and is native.

• Advertisement
Advertisement