Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deprivation in Waterford

Options
  • 15-02-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

screenshot20120215at172.png

The All-Island-Research-Observatory have used available census data to map deprivation across the country. Waterford doesn't fare too well. This is based off 2006 data so one can only imagine the picture once 2011 data is available!

http://airomaps.nuim.ie/flexviewer/?config=AIDepIndex.xml
    The  All‐Island  Deprivation  Index  is  constructed  along  similar  lines  to  the  New  Measures  of
    Deprivation  (Haase  and  Pratschke,  2005,  2008)  and  the  Pobal‐Haase  Deprivation  Index  for  Small
    Areas  (Haase  and  Pratschke,  2010).  The  All‐Island  Deprivation  Index  is  based  on  a  prior 
    conceptualisation  of  the  underlying  dimensions  of  deprivation  and  the  use  of  Confirmatory  Factor 
    Analysis  (CFA)  to  estimate  the  scores.  The  overall  Index  draws  on  ten  indicators  to  expresses  a 
    combination of three dimensions of relative affluence and deprivation: Demographic Profile, Social 
    Class  Composition  and  Labour  Market  Situation.4  These  three  dimensions  can  be  similarly 
    constructed

The Demographic Profile is measured by five indicators: 
    • percentage change in population over the previous five years; 
    • percentage of people aged under 15 or over 64 years of age; 
    • percentage of people with a primary school education only; 
    • percentage of people with a third‐level education; and 
    • mean number of persons per room. 

The
    • percentage of people with a primary school education only; 
    • percentage of people with a third‐level education; 
    • percentage of households headed by professionals or managerial and technical employees, 
    including
    • percentage  of  households  headed  by  semi‐skilled  or  unskilled  manual  workers,  including 
    farmers
    • mean number of persons per room. 

Finally, the Labour Market Situation is measured by three indicators: 
    • percentage of households with children aged under 15 years and headed by a single parent; 
    • male unemployment rate; and 
    • female unemployment rate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

That means nothing because it doesn't take in earnings. Lots of young people with degrees can't find work. Similarly, people with no 3rd level qualifications could be earning good money working in a factory or a trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

This is going to make for an interesting thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My sister will be pissed off
    This area is classed as being marginally above average
    :p

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

You think that's bad? My comfortably retired parents living in an apparently disadvantaged area...

Their house was valued at 375,000 Euro during the Tiger years :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Their house was valued at 375,000 Euro during the Tiger years :rolleyes:
    Well that's just money in the bank now isn't it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

i live in a posh area but still have fcuk all in me pockets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

The data is very old in fairness.

This is what I got for where I live:
    wrote:
    This area is classed as being Affluent with a relative deprivation score of 10.49. On an All-Island scale this area is ranked as being 17329 out of 19,961 with 1 being the most disadvantaged.
    In the Republic of Ireland this area is ranked as being 12,411 out of 14,949 with 1 being the most disadvantaged.
    Within the County of Waterford City this area is ranked as being 155 out of 171 with 1 being the most disadvantaged.

But there are loads of people in that area who were builders and stuff like that so I can only imagine how much that has changed.

Did anyone find where is considered to be the most disadvantaged? Number 2 is the section alongside Priory Lawn in Ballybeg.

King's Channel is the most affluent part of the city apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Are you the Queen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Originally Posted by http://trutzhaase.eu/wp-content/uploads/FR-2012-All-Island-Deprivation-Index.pdf
    The All‐Island Deprivation Index is constructed along similar lines to the New Measures of
    Deprivation (Haase and Pratschke, 2005, 2008) and the Pobal‐Haase Deprivation Index for Small
    Areas (Haase and Pratschke, 2010). The All‐Island Deprivation Index is based on a prior
    conceptualisation of the underlying dimensions of deprivation and the use of Confirmatory Factor
    Analysis (CFA) to estimate the scores. The overall Index draws on ten indicators to expresses a
    combination of three dimensions of relative affluence and deprivation: Demographic Profile, Social
    Class Composition and Labour Market Situation.4 These three dimensions can be similarly
    constructed

Christ on a bicycle talking about plain English, Imagine going for a pint with the author.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Are you the Queen?

im not the queen but i would :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

So posh people carry their money in wallets? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrgardener

My parents live in a "advantaged" area, yet my dad has been signing on for the last few months. Total rubbish :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I love how people are picking a single case to dismiss the report on an entire AREA! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Christ on a bicycle talking about plain English, Imagine going for a pint with the author.
    Why should it be in plain English, its statistical methodology, not harry potter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,343 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Very strange, the area I live in has half the estate slightly below and half slightly above average. Its a relatively small estate and I cannot see any reason why there should be any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It's based off electoral areas as far as I know. The other part of the estate could very well be considered a separate area in the register of electors. As you mention it is small, there's no doubt that it would only take a small number of affluent (as defined by the study) households to positively affect one part of the estate or a small number of disadvantaged (as defined by the study) to negatively affect the other.

Advertisement