Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for New Service Station off M9 Link road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Mollyd90

hopefully it will go through. more jobs for kilkenny and bringing money to the area. good news that an indian company will be coming also

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

If the way they treat there existing workers is anything to go by, they dont deserve to get permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

If the way they treat there existing workers is anything to go by, they dont deserve to get permission.

How so? They are mentioned in the article but i've never heard of them to be honest.

mfitzy wrote: »
    How so? They are mentioned in the article but i've never heard of them to be honest.

Know people that work for them.
    One has his workers on a 3 day a week for over 3 years now and wont even pay them the minimum 2 weeks redundancy they are entitled to claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

They should put it in the field that's for sale inside the ring road not in front of the old house outside the ring road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

A service station should be next to the motorway, not 3 or 4 kilometers from it.
    Its for people using the motorway not the people of Kilkenny,and its not to serve developers interests either,we've had enough of that:rolleyes:
    It should be at the Paulstown junction or the Danesfort junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

hi5 wrote: »
    A service station should be next to the motorway, not 3 or 4 kilometers from it.
    Its for people using the motorway not the people of Kilkenny,and its not to serve developers interests either,we've had enough of that:rolleyes:
    It should be at the Paulstown junction or the Danesfort junction.
    The NRA policy on Service Areas is to build them "in-line" on the motorway as they have done on the M1 at Swords and also near Dundalk. There is one actually earmarked for somewhere around J7 Paulstown but I'd say it will be some time before it's built.
    http://www.nra.ie/NetworkManagement/MotorwayServiceAreas/ has details on policy and a map of proposed Service Areas.
    Wonder what the NRA would make of a service station at the end of the Link Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I agree that they should be on the motorway as opposed to 2 mins in off the road but at the moment the NRA are totally skint and are not going to build one any time in the next few years.

Between waterford and dublin there's very few places to get a coffee or have a slash ... especially on the way up. I wonder if they would take the attitude that such a development would be better than nothing?

What is it 2 minutes off the Motorway if someone was stuck for a coffee or petrol passing paulstown junction, next one is castledermot i think.
    This crowd in kilkenny are only thinking of themselves and not the needs of a motorist on the motorway.
    They tried the same thing with a hotel leisure project on the same site and failed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

What is it 2 minutes off the Motorway if someone was stuck for a coffee or petrol passing paulstown junction, next one is castledermot i think.
    This crowd in kilkenny are only thinking of themselves and not the needs of a motorist on the motorway.
    They tried the same thing with a hotel leisure project on the same site and failed.

If you want petrol in Paulstown you'd have to go looking and the petrol station at the Powerstown exit is about as close as the one from the Castledermot entrance. What are you on about failed hotel/ leisure project?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

If you want petrol in Paulstown you'd have to go looking and the petrol station at the Powerstown exit is about as close as the one from the Castledermot entrance. What are you on about failed hotel/ leisure project?

The same crowd tried to build a hotel leisure centre on the hebron house site a few years back but failed.
    They let the travellers do what they wanted to it.
    Probably thought it would help them justify building a hotel there.
    They even gave them hampers at christmas while the workers were treated like crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Um why do you keep going on about workers - is this topic not about a petrol station??

Anyway, there's no handy services station / convenience store around there, and it is on the main link out of town, so even if you don't consider potential customers from the motorway it mightn't be a bad place to put one

If they want a motorway service station then they should put it up by the motorway. If they want a service station for the city then it should be inside the ringroad. At least at the moment on the new bit of the ringroad you can tell which way the countryside is and which way the city is, it would be a shame to let the sprawl take over already.

Besides there is a Topaz on the Comer Road 10 seconds away from Hebron House.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

If they want a motorway service station then they should put it up by the motorway. If they want a service station for the city then it should be inside the ringroad. At least at the moment on the new bit of the ringroad you can tell which way the countryside is and which way the city is, it would be a shame to let the sprawl take over already.

Besides there is a Topaz on the Comer Road 10 seconds away from Hebron House.

Top Oil and Maxol even closer.

Top Oil and Maxol even closer.

I forgot about Maxol, wheres Top Oil?

I forgot about Maxol, wheres Top Oil?

Hebron industrial estate, near the postal centre across from Ormonde organics.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

i think this is a great place for filling station and restaurants take aways, at the start of the link road to the motorway, top oil is cheap but for visitor to kilkenny how would they ever find it plus it closes at 5.30pm, as for other places near there, there just not conveinent to the motorway, the county council will do there best to block this development they would much rather see it built on there parcel of land they have for sale just inside the ring road oppisite toyota garage, but i would love to see this built large modern motorway filling station

I've no objection to a service station being built there, but not at the expense of a proper service staion being built on the actual motorway.
    If in the future somebody wants to build a station at Paulstown then you could bet your bottom dollar that the service station at the link road would object.
    Give them permission, but with a condition that its not an official motorway service station and an acknowledgement that Paulstown or Danesfort are earmarked for the future.

But it should be built on the bit of land inside the ring road. Instead of in front of Hebron house across the ring road which could be put to better use.

Only in Ireland would the travellers be aloud to wreck hebron house and gardens and get away with it.

Its not the most historical house around but you wouldnt get away elsewhere doing what they done.

Just passing it today and seen the lovely trees, landscape, and stream passing by it.
    Would be a fantastic home to live in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I agree if it is not on the motorway it is just another site, no one like it or not is going to drive off the motorway, if the council pass it, we are no more than a bunch of idiot's for allowing them to do so.

To be honest I wouldn't really use it if it were out the road in Paulstown or some place. I'd have to pull off the motorway and in a journey taking roughly an hour to Dublin, what would be the point unless you were stuck. Better have it the start of the motorway in/out of Kilkenny with a large local population to support it.

But I take people's point re building near Newpark house. I wouldn't like to see that comprimised 'cos it's a fien old building

mfitzy wrote: »
    To be honest I wouldn't really use it if it were out the road in Paulstown or some place. I'd have to pull off the motorway and in a journey taking roughly an hour to Dublin, what would be the point unless you were stuck. Better have it the start of the motorway in/out of Kilkenny with a large local population to support it.

Exactly. Its not for your use, its for people commuting to and from Waterford and Dublin.
    The only locals that benefit from motorway service stations are those who work there.

linny wrote: »
    i think this is a great place for filling station and restaurants take aways, at the start of the link road to the motorway, top oil is cheap but for visitor to kilkenny how would they ever find it plus it closes at 5.30pm, as for other places near there, there just not conveinent to the motorway, the county council will do there best to block this development they would much rather see it built on there parcel of land they have for sale just inside the ring road oppisite toyota garage, but i would love to see this built large modern motorway filling station

as i mentioned before the council blocked this development, so it has been appealed to An Bord Pleanála, but in the mean time the parcel of land the county council own on the other side of the road, mac donalds have just applied for plannning for a drive thru, i wonder did they block the other development knowing mac donalds we interested in there site??????

linny wrote: »
    as i mentioned before the council blocked this development, so it has been appealed to An Bord Pleanála, but in the mean time the parcel of land the county council own on the other side of the road, mac donalds have just applied for plannning for a drive thru, i wonder did they block the other development knowing mac donalds we interested in there site??????

I'll belive anything at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Exactly. Its not for your use, its for people commuting to and from Waterford and Dublin.
    The only locals that benefit from motorway service stations are those who work there.

I have to agree with you. I wouldn't drive all the way off the motorway to get to the service station by the time you drive off the motorway because I think it is verylong you'd nearly be half way to your destination!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Would it make more sense to build a service station on the motorway, one either side of the road with a link bridge for pedestrians.
    No, I would seldom ever come off a motorway for fuel or food, unless the fuel was at the bottom end of the scale one would fill up at the usual garage, the food would need to be good, just look at Freshco and Johnsons on the Dublin road.
    The last thing we want is a white elephant, we have seen enough of council waste in the town.
    Time to go ahead and plan properly, this is all for the future, so do it right in the first place.

What? So, am not "supposed" to use it then :D. So nobody going to/from a city of 25k isn't supposed to use it either? There would be good demand for something like this off the link road to the M9.

we'll know soon if this get's the go ahead today was the descision day, but nothing up on An Bord Pleanála web site yet, maybe we will know more tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Sorry to dig up an old thread but is there any update on this

Advertisement