Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trees cut down in cathedral Square

Options
  • 15-02-2012 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭

Looks like the council have decided to remove the trees from catedral square. All the large ones on the left as your walking to the motor tax office have been cut down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I see the ones in the big planters by Revolution have all been vandalised and broken, it was a bit naive of the council putting them there in the first place I suppose.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

shockwave wrote: »
    it was a bit naive of the council putting them there in the first place I suppose.

Not really, they wanted to make the place look nicer,
    Sadly there''s just scumbags out there that don't give a ****e about where they live or what it looks like,

Ironically these are the same scumbags that if you met them and told them Waterford was a nothing but a hole they'd throw a wobbly and likely threaten to beat you up or some nonsense like that
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TheGormog

jayboi wrote: »
    Looks like the council have decided to remove the trees from catedral square. All the large ones on the left as your walking to the motor tax office have been cut down.

They're lovely old trees, I loved the way that they framed the square in summertime. Very sad. I wonder if they'll bring a few derelict houses with them? Surely the roots reach in under them.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭billythepig

the trees removed were on the cards a long time, from a distance they looked lovely but it was when you got closer you could see they were badly damaged and understand why the council had to remove them. anyway the place looks really lovely down around there now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

They were the wrong trees to plant in the first place,I remember them going in about twenty years ago and they are London planes as far as I recall which are huge stately rapid growing trees not suitable for an inner city landscape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

They would want to be replaced with decent mature trees,
    the maturest they can get but wouldn't hold my breath Id put good money on crappy little yokes that will be broken and replaced regularly.

jayboi wrote: »
    They would want to be replaced with decent mature trees,
    the maturest they can get but wouldn't hold my breath Id put good money on crappy little yokes that will be broken and replaced regularly.

i heard they are not putting any replacement trees in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

I've been told that they will be replaced with smaller tree's which in fairness is probably better. The tree's were too big, the roots were causing the ground to be uneven and with the church blocking much of the sky as it was, very little light got in. I know they are planning a whole revamp of the square but wonder will it be done for the summer when the new museum opens?

O Riain wrote: »
    I've been told that they will be replaced with smaller tree's which in fairness is probably better. The tree's were too big, the roots were causing the ground to be uneven and with the church blocking much of the sky as it was, very little light got in. I know they are planning a whole revamp of the square but wonder will it be done for the summer when the new museum opens?

it will be open in late june along with the new park (old landfill)

it will be open in late june along with the new park (old landfill)

i know the museum opens then but im wondering will they do work on the square, the council has bought some the run down houses in the square and also the house and shed in the laneway behind the square so will be interesting to see how and when it unfolds.

• Advertisement

O Riain wrote: »
    i know the museum opens then but im wondering will they do work on the square, the council has bought some the run down houses in the square and also the house and shed in the laneway behind the square so will be interesting to see how and when it unfolds.

from what i hear the council bought up all the houses in the square and are going to turn them into cafe, resturant, gift shop and something else, probably a chipper aswell :D

from what i hear the council bought up all the houses in the square and are going to turn them into cafe, resturant, gift shop and something else, probably a chipper aswell :D

No they havent bought up all the houses but the ones they have bought they are trying to get the right mix of food/retail. As for the laneway you use to be able to walk right through it and AFAIK thats the plan is to knock through the original archway back onto henrietta street.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Those trees on cathedral sq were far too big for the area and blocked the view of the buildings in the area such as the motor tax office and the new museum.

The alleyway behind cathedral square was once used for people to park up their horses when they went into mass in christ church cathedral, now its used by You Decor and junkies for shooting-up

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

I agree that those trees where way to big for the square.

The arch that leads to Henrietta street ( currently blocked up) is Chairmans arch. It got its name because that narrow alley was a waiting area for chairmen. Sedan chairs were used to carry the better off to mass in the Cathedral they would come up Greyfriars street leave the rich out and wait in that lane before their next fare. So basically it was a old taxi rank.

Advertisement