Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can i get crushed glass

• 15-02-2012 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Im looking for crushed glass to fill a 20m squard area.
    There is just bark down at the minute and it makes the garden look very dark. I want to put green or blue crushed glass in instead to brighten it up and make a nice feature of it.

Dose anyone know anywhere in ireland perferably that sells crushed glass. I think its usually recycled glass.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

deano77777 wrote: »
    Im looking for crushed glass to fill a 20m squard area.
    There is just bark down at the minute and it makes the garden look very dark. I want to put green or blue crushed glass in instead to brighten it up and make a nice feature of it.

Dose anyone know anywhere in ireland perferably that sells crushed glass. I think its usually recycled glass.

Another option for you................................

You can now get coloured bark in the likes of green,blue red and black.

You can also get recycled car tyres that are also chopped into small bits and coloured too.Looks like coloured chip bark,but its rubber.

Alot of garden centres are starting to stock it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭deano77777

paddy147 wrote: »
    Another option for you................................

You can now get coloured bark in the likes of green,blue red and black.

You can also get recycled car tyres that are also chopped into small bits and coloured too.Looks like coloured chip bark,but its rubber.

Alot of garden centres are starting to stock it now.

No dont want to go for bark or rubber, they are all coloured anyway and so might fade over time.

Glass would make a really nice feature and would last a lot longer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

No dont want to go for bark or rubber, they are all coloured anyway and so might fade over time.

Glass would make a really nice feature and would last a lot longer.

Try the stone works up the lane by the old/original Balgriffin Cemetary.

They make lots of various coloured stones and glass/pebbles for grave sites and memorials.

They also make and sell alot of landscaping products too.

PS-I hope you dont have any kids that will be running around on the area you intend to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sonofsteptoe

I have seen the glass from the side windows of cars used in this way. They were sourced legally of course from a breakers yard quite cheaply.
    When broken they break into quite uniform 8mm pieces.(gloves and goggles). They do look effective when used in small areas. Not sure about an area of 20m2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd recommend getting a nice light gravel. I'd imagine that crushed glass could be a serious hazard. I had to take some out of an aquarium I bought once and it ripped my hands to shreds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭deano77777

kylith wrote: »
    I'd recommend getting a nice light gravel. I'd imagine that crushed glass could be a serious hazard. I had to take some out of an aquarium I bought once and it ripped my hands to shreds.

Its called crushed glass but it is tumbled with sand to smooth any sharp edges. It is basiclly like glass that you find along the beach, all the edges are smooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Its called crushed glass but it is tumbled with sand to smooth any sharp edges. It is basiclly like glass that you find along the beach, all the edges are smooth.
    Ah, my mistake.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

I've seen it used on plaster dashing before, it really looks well.

Glass beach CA
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAFFgh23a9kV-iTwGLib_0kmOWzdE6gsTAlLan8uz26d1MslAWIA

Try this
    http://www.naturalstoneireland.ie/decorative-stone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭kynzvart

I know here in the UK you can get bags of it in Homebase and B&Q its not sharp it wouldn't cut you, My daughter bought a couple of bags of it some years back to put around a alpine garden she had made in a Belfast sink it looked ok for the first year or so, and then started to look naff,she ended up getting rid of it.I am not sure if you put it down in a big area it would weather all that good.You can get some lovely coloured gravel now a days, might be better any way good luck with whatever you choose to buy.

Advertisement