Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guilty verdict in Shane Geoghegan case

• 15-02-2012 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Barry Doyle has been jailed for life for the murder of Shane Geoghegan in Limerick in 2008.
    An 11 person jury at the Central Criminal Court returned a unanimous guilty verdict this afternoon.
    It was the second time the 26 year old from Portland Row in Dublin was tried for the murder of the Garryowen Rugby Player who was shot dead in a case of mistaken identity at Kilteragh, Dooradoyle on November 9th 2008.
    Superintendent John Scanlon from Roxboro Garda Station speaking outside the Courts of Criminal Justice after Barry Doyle was given a life sentence for murder.
    Doyle appeared to smile as the unanimous guilty verdict was read to the court.
    It came after 6 hours of deliberations by the jury. Last year another jury failed to agree on a verdict forcing this re-trial and forcing the Geoghegan family to once again sit through the evidence detailing the brutal killing of 28 year old Shane who was shot five times after being mistaken for a man who lived in the same estate.
    Shane had become the innocent victim of gangland criminals.
    State Prosecutor Tom O'Connell told the court this afternoon the Geoghegan's did not wish to make a victim impact statement because they feel the crime speaks for itself.
    Mr Justice Garrett Sheehan said there is only one sentence the court can impose for murder and that is a life sentence.
    Superintendent Scanlon says Barry Doyle's conviction does not end the investigation into Shane Geoghegan's murder

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/barry-doyle-given-life-sentence-for-murder-of-shane-geoghegan/2311897c-60e6-4603-981b-4fb45610d4b4

Hope that life actually means life for that murderer. He really showed what kind of vile scum he is with his smiling in the court. Disgrace that the Geoghegan had to sit through two trials to in order to see a murderer convicted.

The tragedy is that an innocent man had to be murdered to get a man like Doyle off of the streets.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was following the case through the media and Doyle is a sick individual. Life is what he deserves for what he did.

I too hope it was a proper life sentence!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Reports that he smiled as the sentence was passed down kind of says it all about how little this type of character fears the law or respects the institutions of the State or its' people.

Doyle probably won't serve more than 10 years in reality, after all many killers are released after 7 yrs. despite being served with "life sentences" ( Hope to f*ck I'm wrong on that).

Then no doubt his masters who ordered him out to kill will ensure he is rewarded for keeping his mouth shut and revealing their identities - despite the fact the dogs in the street know who they are. Doyle will also be feted and protected by these same people during his stay inside.

Would that our system imposed solitary confinement with lack of access to luxuries such as Sky Sports, choice of meals, warm accommodation, ordering takeaway foods, etc. as well as making sure this scum cannot associate with each other in our penal universities was the fate awaiting Doyle and his ilk.

Maybe that might wipe the smiling grin off his murdering face.

At least the Geoghegan family can close another chapter in this saga of grief that these scumbags have callously visited upon them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

europa11 wrote: »

Would that our system imposed solitary confinement with lack of access to luxuries such as Sky Sports, choice of meals, warm accommodation, ordering takeaway foods, etc. as well as making sure this scum cannot associate with each other in our penal universities was the fate awaiting Doyle and his ilk.

Maybe that might wipe the smiling grin off his murdering face.

Agree with you there,

Well done also to the Jury, yes it is their civic duty etc but must have been tough enough few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I do believe a life sentence for murder means life.

A life sentence for manslaughter can be gotten out of after a number of years.
    Could be wrong on that but that's my understanding!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I do believe a life sentence for murder means life.

A life sentence for manslaughter can be gotten out of after a number of years.
    Could be wrong on that but that's my understanding!

I fear your undertsanding may not be correct. A life sentence can be as short as c.13 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I fear your undertsanding may not be correct. A life sentence can be as short as c.13 years.

Yes you are right it seems - I am not sure what I was thinking!
    *apologies*
    :o:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Scant consolation for Shane's family but at least its one more violent scumbag off our streets.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Yes you are right it seems - I am not sure what I was thinking!
    *apologies*
    :o:o:o

No need for any. I'm just happy with the verdict tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Put him down like you would with a vicious dog.

I as a tax payer am sick of having to pay to keep the likes of this vile waste of space fed and warm for the rest of his time behind bars. There is no point in wasting time and money on trying to reform this type of scum, even if he gets out early, he will amount to nothing more than a drain on an already stretched welfare system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

A number of things about this horrible situation sicken me to my core.

Firstly Barry Doyle was just someone’s fool on an errand, sure, throw him in jail to take drugs, ram mobiles up his arsé and play PS3 for 10 years (A life sentence in Ireland is just a weak joke) but the actual killer with the motive, plans and sick intent is sitting in Weston right now laughing at us all while slowly trying to work out his €9000, 12 speaker home cinema system.

Secondly John McNamara the intended victim (public record from the court case Mods) who incidentally the dogs on the street wish was a rotting corpse, continues to live amongst ordinary decent people in Kilteragh because he enjoys the safety that living in a well populated suburban area affords him - ie. if he was in somewhere secluded like Fedamore he'd have had 12 12 gauge blasts in the face by now...... This is a ridiculous concept, years later this Scum is still hanging around at the scene of the crime reading the Star and parading Daz white Nike runners. Surely society needs to react in some appropriate manner until at the very least the filth fcuks of to the Costa with the rest of his kind - Never let it be said that I advocated that his windows be smashed as apparently he had them retrofitted with bullet proof windows, after ca$hing in on the affordable housing scheme from each of our increasingly empty pockets :mad: Isn't that gloriously Irish? Lets subsidise homes for drug dealers who want to live in densely populated regions for safety reasons.

It really bothers me always that this City is as bad as it is without any effort being made to redeem it, improve it, recognise the faults, improve the flaws etc.

Denial will never be an answer, you need to recognise and realise a problem in order to deal with and overcome it, I've never seen this locally. How about diverting some of the money away from the I love scumbag limerick campaigns and instead focussing on fixing Limerick?

- Which raises the glaringly obvious points - Where is the policing? Its not about numbers cause obviously if we had another 50,000 Gardaí who are as scared of certain parts of Limerick as our current token law enforcers then we'd still be in this sad sinking boat. How far is lawless Limerick going to be left slide? When did the Gardaí give up on Limerick - Is there a specific date when they just said fcuk it I'm just going to give up on sad, suffering, under-privileged, politically unrepresented (We lost out to Willie O'Dea??????) Limerick and just happily drive around listening to Larry Gogan and writing random parking fines??????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Raiser wrote: »
    A number of things about this horrible situation sicken me to my core.

Firstly Barry Doyle was just someone’s fool on an errand, sure, throw him in jail to take drugs, ram mobiles up his arsé and play PS3 for 10 years (A life sentence in Ireland is just a weak joke) but the actual killer with the motive, plans and sick intent is sitting in Weston right now laughing at us all while slowly trying to work out his €9000, 12 speaker home cinema system.

Secondly John McNamara the intended victim (public record from the court case Mods) who incidentally the dogs on the street wish was a rotting corpse, continues to live amongst ordinary decent people in Kilteragh because he enjoys the safety that living in a well populated suburban area affords him - ie. if he was in somewhere secluded like Fedamore he'd have had 12 12 gauge blasts in the face by now...... This is a ridiculous concept, years later this Scum is still hanging around at the scene of the crime reading the Star and parading Daz white Nike runners. Surely society needs to react in some appropriate manner until at the very least the filth fcuks of to the Costa with the rest of his kind - Never let it be said that I advocated that his windows be smashed as apparently he had them retrofitted with bullet proof windows, after ca$hing in on the affordable housing scheme from each of our increasingly empty pockets :mad: Isn't that gloriously Irish? Lets subsidise homes for drug dealers who want to live in densely populated regions for safety reasons.

It really bothers me always that this City is as bad as it is without any effort being made to redeem it, improve it, recognise the faults, improve the flaws etc.

Denial will never be an answer, you need to recognise and realise a problem in order to deal with and overcome it, I've never seen this locally. How about diverting some of the money away from the I love scumbag limerick campaigns and instead focussing on fixing Limerick?

- Which raises the glaringly obvious points - Where is the policing? Its not about numbers cause obviously if we had another 50,000 Gardaí who are as scared of certain parts of Limerick as our current token law enforcers then we'd still be in this sad sinking boat. How far is lawless Limerick going to be left slide? When did the Gardaí give up on Limerick - Is there a specific date when they just said fcuk it I'm just going to give up on sad, suffering, under-privileged, politically unrepresented (We lost out to Willie O'Dea??????) Limerick and just happily drive around listening to Larry Gogan and writing random parking fines??????????

Well said Raiser, and about time someone said it, I am writing this as a helicopter circles Moyross again, too big to be Garda ASU, could be Army, or Rescue 115, although I doubt anyone has drowned in the bath in Moyross tonight.
    When Shane Geoghan was murdered, there was revulsion among the citizens of Limerick, and rightly so, we were given the usual platitudes from the Gardai, (and yes before anyone say anything they did secure a conviction for the murder, but did they get the hand behind it?) the local and national political ****wits, and yet, as you say, we still have these vermin slithering around our city with seeming impunity, why?, is it because too many people have a financial gain from this situation?, the Gardai, the DPP, the Legal profession, the Courts Service, the Prison Service?, is it incompetence?, what is the answer? I personally don't know, but I doubt any other city of similar size anywhere in the world would tolerate this situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

jbkenn wrote: »
    Well said Raiser, and about time someone said it, I am writing this as a helicopter circles Moyross again, too big to be Garda ASU, could be Army, or Rescue 115, although I doubt anyone has drowned in the bath in Moyross tonight.
    When Shane Geoghan was murdered, there was revulsion among the citizens of Limerick, and rightly so, we were given the usual platitudes from the Gardai, (and yes before anyone say anything they did secure a conviction for the murder, but did they get the hand behind it?) the local and national political ****wits, and yet, as you say, we still have these vermin slithering around our city with seeming impunity, why?, is it because too many people have a financial gain from this situation?, the Gardai, the DPP, the Legal profession, the Courts Service, the Prison Service?, is it incompetence?, what is the answer? I personally don't know, but I doubt any other city of similar size anywhere in the world would tolerate this situation.

would guess that the helicopter was out as two more prisoners escaped from limerick prison. both are from Limerick, and just like the last two or three escapes, they simply ran off after coming back to the prison from a court hearing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

One of the things I've hated being said for so long now is ''he was in the wrong place at the wrong time''

He was walking to his house after watching a rugby match with a mate.
    How can that be the wrong place?

I knew Shane fairly well. I went to school with him(I was a year or 2 ahead of him)
    We grew up in the same estate. I wouldn't claim to be a proper friend of his but it hurt a lot to hear what happened him.

I bumped into his girlfriend in Tesco a few weeks back and I could see the heartbreak in her eyes.

No family should ever go through this hurt again.

RIP Shane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

amiable wrote: »
    One of the things I've hated being said for so long now is ''he was in the wrong place at the wrong time''

He was walking to his house after watching a rugby match with a mate.
    How can that be the wrong place?

I knew Shane fairly well. I went to school with him(I was a year or 2 ahead of him)
    We grew up in the same estate. I wouldn't claim to be a proper friend of his but it hurt a lot to hear what happened him.

I bumped into his girlfriend in Tesco a few weeks back and I could see the heartbreak in her eyes.

No family should ever go through this hurt again.

RIP Shane

There was only one person who was in the wrong place and that was the murderer. Basically any place that had decent people in it would be the wrong place for his type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭mike kelly

from the evidence given at the trial, we can expect at least one further prosecution to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

I called into the civic office today to see the art exhibition for shane,his mother had just laid the newspaper on the floor.

Advertisement