Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kepler, Ivy Bridge Release Dates?

Options
  • 15-02-2012 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks,

Shall be upgrading soonish, and I'm wondering if anyone here knows when Ivy Bridge CPUs are due? I seem to remember reading April but can't find anything to back that up as fact.

The first Kepler cards from Nvidia are released soon too, but I think they're the replacements for the 560s, rather than the high-end cards. Any news on when the 580 replacements are due?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The mid-range NVIDIA stuff will be coming out first, yeah. By all accounts though, the 680/780 will be an absolute monster. Expensive though.

http://en.expreview.com/2012/02/06/entire-nvidia-kepler-line-up-unearthed/20836.html

As regards Ivy, I've heard things from March to May. The main one at the moment though seems to be April 8th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Bah. Reading today that IB won't be released in significant quantities til June :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Oh feck off, even higher price then ati with 600++ eu for single gpu card...

40% increase in speed over 7970, sounds great, but 600eu ++ is way too much. :(

500eu for 670...

No it's not. 1x performance for €480 (7970) and 1.4x performance for €580 ($600 680, and that's worst-case) which normalises to 1x performance for €420. Not bad at all.

Also, remember that these cards are still months off, and specs/pricing, etc. could change a lot in that time. (assuming any of this is right in the first place.

Might be right m8.

Still would live to see how are they on power. Nvidia is not known to be very subtle in that manner :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

What would be the ivybridge equivalent of say the i5 2500K and would it be around the same price as the i5 is now?
    I was willing to wait till April for a new PC, but if I have to wait to June then defiantly not waiting.

Will there be any additional advantage of using avy over sandy with these new gen nvidia cards?

@Pangea: the 2500K equivalent is the i5 3570K. It has virtually identical specs, and should cost about the same - having the same launch price as the 2500K currently, though it might end up a little more expensive, as Sandy prices will drop a bit. What you're looking at is maybe a 10% increase clock-for-clock, which is basically the only difference. Oh, and power efficiency, updated IGP, etc.

@Shadowhearth: Hard to say. I initially thought that PCI-E 3.0 wouldn't give much benefits as it's virtually unused bandwidth anyway, but giving how powerful these cards are looking on paper, the high-end ones might just need the extra throughput, requiring an Ivy Bridge chip. Too early to say really though.

Do you really think those cards will saturate enough to have advantage of pic 3.0?

What am I, an NVIDIA employee? :P I really haven't a clue. Given that a 580 SLI setup doesn't even saturate PCI-E 2.0, I'd say not. At least not for a single-GPU setup. Maybe, just maybe you'd benefit.

• Advertisement

Go and apply to nvidia, I will go apply ati then we will share a chamber and secrets :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 teflonbilly

so for a little help on the CPU side, here is a great site.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Releases/Desktop_CPU_releases_%282012%29.html

As for teh gen 3.0 PCI-e, we don't need to worry about it on a single card, but with the limited number of PCI-e lanes, using PCIe 3 will allow for effectively 16x16 gen 2 lanes or 8x8x8 gen 2 lanes in 3 way sli. This is a huge plus for people using 3d vision or surround monitors like myself. I am really looking forward to these cards and the ivy bridge processors.

I am hoping that they are only holding back ont eh mobile side of the ivy bridge launch, which based on the few articles I read seems to be what they are talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Hearing there are potential delays to Kepler now, with low yields...

I have heard that too, though they are from a little bit questionable sources. I will wait and see ont hat one. Don't need to upgrade really myself since I am running 2 580's with 3gig on water right now, but if the 680 is really amazing I might do it.

I have heard that too, though they are from a little bit questionable sources. I will wait and see ont hat one. Don't need to upgrade really myself since I am running 2 580's with 3gig on water right now, but if the 680 is really amazing I might do it.

I doubt there'll be a need. Even if it is as fantastic as all the hype (the same as before every launch) suggests, I don't think two overclocked 580s would loose to it.

well I was toying with the idea of going to a 3 way sli on 680, with a new ivy bridge CPU and Mobo.

Unless you really, really, really need / want that sort of power, I'd stick with SLI. Three-way SLI really doesn't scale that well yet. It's at the level SLI was at a few years ago. The odd game will make full use of it, but most of the time you're only using about 50% of the power of that third card, a lot of the time less.

It also depends how well Kepler scales with SLI in general. Fermi was great; it was very modular, and the progression was relatively linear from one card to the next, but there's no guarantee Kepler will be the same.

Its true, 3 way is generally a waste, but with 3 monitors I do tax graphics pretty hard, which is part of the reason I went to 3 gig cards rather than stock. But I haven't done it yet, and its only an idea. Have to see numbers before I do anything.

Advertisement