Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smelly people

• 15-02-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Clogsworth

A smelly man has just sat across from me on the bus...i've the guts of an hour left on my journey and there are no spare seats to move to. For feck sake why cant people wash themselves!

So has anyone any horror stories about some people lack of hygiene?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

There was a guy who used to frequent the bookies in the IFSC for a while who had the worst 'bang' ever off him. You basically had to hold your breath when you were in there with him. I'd say he hadn't washed for years, still saved a few quid thanks to him cos I couldn't face going into the bookies when he was there.

Not sure if they barred him cos I've not seen him in there for a few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I haven't showered in a while. In my defence, I'm sick and sweating like a son-of-a-bitch, so there's no point. It's not like I leave my house often, any ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

We have an old lady that is known as CAT WOMAN!!!
    When she is in doing her shopping you can smell her before you see her, and she always goes to 2 tills, just when you think it's safe to sit at your till she would be back.
    It is the most god awful smell in the world:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

I can get the bang off you from here Joe ;)

Dude I work with aint too fond of soap. He's married with a few kids and his plates of meat stink big time. I can get it when I walk into the room, needless to say when he stands beside me it aint pleasant:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

All people on public transport are equally smelly. Some are just more equally smelly than others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

The lad that works in my office has a set of teeth so yellow, that whenever he close's his mouth, his belly lights up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

The worst are people who reek so badly of BO it starts smelling a bit like raw potatoes. The smell of them lingers in enclosed spaces long after they've left.

The very odd time I'd get on the bus on a hot summer's day, having spent hours walking around town, and realise I'm creating a bit of a stink. Although it's mildly embarrassing (happens to the best of us, but), it's reassuring at the same time, as the fact I notice it and consider it exceptional means I'm not an actual Smelly Person, who usually seem oblivious to their malodorous nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Conor84

Hate that on a bus especially if you are sitting by the window and they sit down beside you - you can't really move can you?

Went in to the barbers a few weeks back in town and sat down beside 3 people - 2 men and a woman. They were alcos and started drinking and the smell was rank. When it was their turn the lady refused to cut their hair and they started kicking off. The smell was still there after they'd gone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

In my local supermarket there is a family from hell- parents with adult child I think they are quite fat lets say and I know they are in the shop even if I can't see them, this is really really sick and its hard to continue with shopping.
    (I just felt sick when I even thought about it! :(

How you can live with yourself if you smell so bad! :confused:
    -and it makes me feel sick when I use bus too -people smell of cigarettes, of sweat of just dirty not washed for weeks clothes! yack! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

This thread stinks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

It's a sign of depression, i.e. you care so little about yourself you don't wash yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I was in the supermarket the other night and there was a super obese woman there. She stank when you walked by. I felt sorry for her :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

It's not just people that don't dress well that cause offence to the nostrils - I find that some (must stress NOT all) members of older generations, who are ever so curteous and polite with company, can have the biggest BO issues ever! Obviously deodarant use was never part of elocution lessons back then :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

It's a sign of depression, i.e. you care so little about yourself you don't wash yourself.

Very true, but laziness is also a contributing factor in a lot of cases.... omg, I've just spoken about it like it was a proper condition :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

there is a grizzly adams type oul fella that does be in supervalu in arklow nearly every time im there, the hum off him would knock you for 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Was on a full bus and this older man was taking to seats up. I was thinking 'to hell with this shit - I'm going to make him push over' so I approach and say 'move over please' he obliges and as I sat down I realised why he was claiming two seats.

He fucking stank.

I was sitting there trying to hide my involuntary retching for the remainder of the journey (short thankfully).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 178 ✭✭Paddy Bateman

Clogsworth wrote: »
    A smelly man has just sat across from me on the bus...i've the guts of an hour left on my journey and there are no spare seats to move to. For feck sake why cant people wash themselves!

So has anyone any horror stories about some people lack of hygiene?
    Blast the fecker with piss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I worked in a shop with a guy who stank of B.O. It was revolting. He had long hair that was constantly stuck to his head with the grease too. I remember once we were working the late shift on a Friday and I was gagging whenever he stood next to me. I was really embarrassed when customers came to the counter in case they thought it was me that stank.

The next morning we were both on again and I thought, Oh he'll have had a shower between last night and this morning, no chance, he was still stinking.

I was in the supermarket the other night and there was a super obese woman there. She stank when you walked by. I felt sorry for her :(
    I wouldn't. Stink from people like that is designed to attract disgust and ridicule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I've encountered a great number of terribly smelly people over the years on various modes of public transport. I always feel bad for them really, especially if somebody else in the vicinity comments on how smelly they are.

There was a girl I went to secondary school with who had a smell the likes of which I've never come across since. It was so bad that when I was going to have a class where I had to sit beside her I'd skip the class (and I wasn't the type to skip class, but there was no way I could sit beside her).

You could tell when she was on her period too, because there was a distinct smell of it on top of her usual odour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

ICANN wrote: »
    I worked in a shop with a guy who stank of B.O. It was revolting. He had long hair that was constantly stuck to his head with the grease too. I remember once we were working the late shift on a Friday and I was gagging whenever he stood next to me. I was really embarrassed when customers came to the counter in case they thought it was me that stank.

The next morning we were both on again and I thought, Oh he'll have had a shower between last night and this morning, no chance, he was still stinking.
    is tough when you are working and can't get away. I worked with someone like that and could not work out if she never showered or else maybe she did but her clothes stank of stale sweat or something. She also had terrible breath, she used to make me feel sick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

There was a girl I went to secondary school with who had a smell the likes of which I've never come across since. It was so bad that when I was going to have a class where I had to sit beside her I'd skip the class (and I wasn't the type to skip class, but there was no way I could sit beside her).

You could tell when she was on her period too, because there was a distinct smell of it on top of her usual odour.
    That is fcukin nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

fart to make em smell better,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I met a bird at a party about 2 years ago who was one of the best looking women I've ever seen. She had such a woff of BO off her though. How could something so pretty smell??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

there is a grizzly adams type oul fella that does be in supervalu in arklow nearly every time im there, the hum off him would knock you for 6

I walked by him today, and my daughter who is not 5 yet, was saying at the top of her voice, "mammy, why is he dirty and smelly" I just rushed her on and said he was working hard in the pits... Couldn't think of what else to say! Was MORTIFIED!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I smell

of rich mahogany.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I worked with a woman once who was really smelly.. I felt really bad for her cause the other girls (as girls do) used to tear strips off her behind her back..

It was really rough though :o she smelled like she literally hadn't washed herself or brushed her teeth in months.. and she would always wear the same clothes..

In the end the manager had to pull her aside and tell her she had to shower.. her English wasn't great though, she seemed to understand what was being said to her but nothing changed so maybe some stuff was lost in translation.. probably just as well, for her sake really..

It must be horrific to be pulled aside and told to wash :( gawd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Bad now.?
    Wait till the water charges. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

xzanti wrote: »
    It must be horrific to be pulled aside and told to wash :( gawd.

Imagine being the manager who has to do it. Very sensitive subject

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Back in the 70's an elderly woman of about 90 used to appear at about 15 minutes into a Sunday Mass service and always sit in the exact same place.

People use to stay well clear of her because she reeked of piss. She always carried two full shopping bags of assorted bottles for some strange reason, probably refundable. As she would walk up the aisle the bottles would clatter giving people in the surrounding pews a chance to give her plenty of breathing space and stay well clear.

This woman became known to every school kid in the area as the bottle maggot. (Kids can be crule. :p)

i had to do it with a chinese girl in bewleys years ago. i never felt so uncomfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

My ex boyfriend was noteriously adverse to a good ol' clean. He looked like Captain Caveman and stank like old cheese. What I ever saw in him, I'll never know. He refused to cut his toenails to the point where they looked like talons, he never used deoderant and on a warm day he'd sweat like a pig.

*cringes*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

I really don't get why some people won't take the time to clean themselves. Apart from it being mortifying to have someone point out that you are unclean or be riddiculed about it, how uncomfortable it must be to live that. :eek:

• Advertisement

McChubbin wrote: »
    My ex boyfriend was noteriously adverse to a good ol' clean. He looked like Captain Caveman and stank like old cheese. What I ever saw in him, I'll never know. He refused to cut his toenails to the point where they looked like talons, he never used deoderant and on a warm day he'd sweat like a pig.

*cringes*
    Was it his big stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

My stomach turned reading that last line. Fcking hell.

There's a lad that sits up front in one class that I teach. Awful stink off him. I've started teaching from the far side at the top of the room. Nothing worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Clogsworth

Remember my boyfriend telling me about this guy he used to work with who didn't change his clothes too often and smelled very bad, particularly his feet. He was regularly told off about it but never changed his ways. One time they decided to count how many days he had the same t shirt on for and they got to 23 days and then they had enough of it and ripped it off him and made him put on a clean one.

In fairness there must be something wrong with someone if they are told they smell awful and still do nothing about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caitmb

I once worked in a taxi office and had our pick of smellies but the king of them all had a stench that arrived in the office ten minutes before he did! His hands and nails were black with dirt and his 'tache was always full of food.He insisted on paying in change before his trip and I used to pretend I was busy and get him to leave it on the counter.When he left I sprayed the change to death with bleach and left it soaking in the sink for ages....

Ps....whatever driver annoyed me most on the day used to get him for his regular twenty minute trip!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

We had to get out manager to do it recently for one of our colleagues. Smelt like a wet dog and I'm pretty sure his feet were just two giant lumps of cheddar manoeuvred into a pair of shoes.

However, he is just the man to do this kind of thing. He has an almost childlike ability to be bluntly honest, to the point of being overtly harsh, yet still gets away with it as though he's some sort of cheeky scamp having a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

When I worked in Tesco, no one wanted to sit on the express till because every single day this aul fella would come to buy his dinner. Honestly, the smell was something else - it'd hit you even before you saw him.

It started when he was in the queue, about 4 customers away from you. There was an odd fragrance, like unusual flowers (not perfumey ones though). As he got closer the smell would become more and more intense until you'd literally be throwing the groceries into the packing area, trying to hurry through the queue and get him away from you. Oddly enough, when he was standing directly in front of you there was no smell. I guess it was like being in the eye of the storm or something.

Unsurprisingly, he was always filthy. I don't know what he kept in his pockets but it looked like soil. He'd hand you a pile of change with bits of leaves and God knows what else.

He was fcuking horrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

My friend smells sometimes. It's like she never grew out of being a scruffy teenager while everybody else went ahead with their lives. I feel really sorry for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Was in a house-share years ago with a girl who reeked of ancient sweat, hair grease, ear-wax, bad breath and manky gee. Once every few weeks she would shower. She washed clothes every few months. Never saw her wash bedclothes. Any movement from her would cause the gee whiff to enter the atmosphere. It was obvious when she was on the blob because of the stink - yet still no showers. She used to walk long distances regularly yet no shower afterwards. She would bring cups and plates into her room and never bring them back out to the kitchen. She smoked in her room too. The smell off her would make you recoil. It was as if she'd just given up the ghost and it was pretty pitiful.

I read about a similar person here before, only she had a boyfriend and could be heard shagging him, then just heading to work - no sound of a shower. And she cycled to work, to add to the stinkyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Raditub

Dudess wrote: »
    Was in a house-share years ago with a girl who reeked of ancient sweat, hair grease, ear-wax, bad breath and manky gee. Once every few weeks she would shower. She washed clothes every few months. Never saw her wash bedclothes. Any movement from her would cause the gee whiff to enter the atmosphere. It was obvious when she was on the blob because of the stink - yet still no showers. She used to walk long distances regularly yet no shower afterwards. She would bring cups and plates into her room and never bring them back out to the kitchen. She smoked in her room too. The smell off her would make you recoil. It was as if she'd just given up the ghost and it was pretty pitiful.

I read about a similar person here before, only she had a boyfriend and could be heard shagging him, then just heading to work - no sound of a shower. And she cycled to work, to add to the stinkyness.

reading this nearly made me physically sick...eeew! What is wrong with some people? Seriously wtf?? I need a shower just after reading this :P

i can imagine snurdling that bicycle seat right now

snnnniiiiiiiiiifffffffffffffffff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

And she cycled to work, to add to the stinkyness.

i can imagine snurdling that bicycle seat right now

snnnniiiiiiiiiifffffffffffffffff[/Quote]
    Even the most ardent knicker-sniffer wouldn't be able for the honk off the vadge of the one I lived with!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

I'm a teacher and every year we have to subtly mention to first years round about April/May (when the weather starts getting warmer) that they have to start washing a little more often. And that deodorant isn't a substitute for a shower. To be fair, girls are usually not so bad, boys can be brutal. Although interestingly, as they get older boys (especially the sporty ones) get almost OCD about their hygiene, they're probably just paranoid after running & building up a sweat so much.

But grown adults not showering and looking after themselves, there's no excuse. And what's with people going around with dirt under their nails?? I know one girl who is a nurse and her 3 children are filthy and she constantly has dirt under her nails. I would hate her looking after me in hospital. I actually think it's pretty sad if people have zero pride in their personal hygiene and presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Our President for Life

Was in a house-share years ago with a girl who reeked of ancient sweat, hair grease, ear-wax, bad breath and manky gee.

I laughed at the blunt turn-of-phrase, but then immediately felt seriously queasy at the thought of this creature. Some people just need to cop on and have a wash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Clogsworth wrote: »
    For feck sake why cant people wash themselves!

For all we know, he could be just thinking the same thing about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I know the man you're talking about, he sat beside me on the bus once, despite there being at least a dozen empty sets he could have taken. My eyes watered the whole way to Gorey, and when I got there, my friend commented on a terrible smell being around - it had ended up on my entire left.
    Jesus Christ, it must be terrible to be famous on the internet for your stink.

• Advertisement
Advertisement