Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kale & Pak Choi

Options
  • 15-02-2012 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

I planted some Kale and Pak choi during November and it is now starting to shoot up with the warm :) weather.

Has anyone else grown it before and how are they best harvested/cooked?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Pak choi is lovely in a stir fry....speaking from experience:D

Grew some last year and had to keep a close eye on it as it is very quick to bolt....

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clare man

I have been growing Kale for a number of years now, both in Tunnel and outside, lots of great recipes on line, treat it like spinach and wilt gently or stir fry. It is really nice with garlic, ginger and chilles. if the stalks are thick and tough strip off leaves if not cut them up and throw them into the pot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

I'm not the greatest fan of kale but a friend gave me some kale chips that she had made and they were just nommy. She just tore it up and roasted it with olive oil, salt, pepper and a little chilli until crispy. Tasty stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I have planted pak choi myself. Cant give you any advice on growing but I use them in cooking all the time. They need very little cooking time. One way is to put a little boiling water in a saucepan, stand the pak choi with leaves upright (make cross slit on the bulb), cover and cook for 2-3 mins. The leaves are steamed, and the thicker part is boiled. Very good with white fish and parsley sauce.

I second what another poster said earlier, they are spectacular with ginger and chili. I do a prawn stir fry with garlic butter, pak choi, ginger and chilis. Its simple to do but tastes alot more complicated.

I did grow a different type of chinese cabbage last year. They grew extremely fast, and by splitting the plants, I was able to multiply my crop. According to a book I have, it states that Pak Choi is similar. If you cut the head, the stump will produce a second crop of loose leaves and can continue to do so for months.

Book also states that it requires exceptionally frequent watering as it has shallow roots.

Advertisement