Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Checklist for removal of old fencing

• 15-02-2012 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Just taking a note here of a list of things that I used during recent weeks while removing old barbed wire fencing that was as good as completely collapsed (due to general rotting of the wooden stakes).

1. Pincer Pliers
    2. Large and small diameter steel nails
    3. 20oz hammer
    4. Monkey Claw /Crow Bar
    5. Waterproof Jacket
    6. Thorn and cut proof gloves
    7. Waterproof boots
    9. Various rough clothing to deal with temperature of the weather
    10. Empty Plastic Milk Carton to collect staples that are being removed
    11. A number of 3 foot approx lengths of 2"x1"s to allow rolling up of the old barbed wire into neat pieces that can either be re-used if sound or recycled if in poor condition
    12. Small Flashlight (if caught in fields late on a winters evening)
    13. Wooly Cap for head warmth

Hope that's helpful to some people.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

slow evening eh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

What were the steel nails for ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭foxylock

moy83 wrote: »

Hanging up his coat :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Thanks Timmy very informative post.I am hoping to remove some rusty wire tomorrow myself but unfortunately I only have an empty orange juice carton,would this suffice or would it be better to wait till I locate an empty milk carton ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Yeah, that's got me wondering too.

• Advertisement

Snowc wrote: »
    Thanks Timmy very informative post.I am hoping to remove some rusty wire tomorrow myself but unfortunately I only have an empty orange juice carton,would this suffice or would it be better to wait till I locate an empty milk carton ?

I've got a spare empty milk carton I would be willing to swap for a large diameter steel nail or maybe two !!

Yer milking this whole carton thing now. Put a (steel) nail in it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

johngalway wrote: »
    Yeah, that's got me wondering too.

ffs im getting my coat, is there anything decent on the telly tonight:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

i would be thinking as an aid to remove the staples

charityboy wrote: »
    i would be thinking as an aid to remove the staples

I use a bull's mickey for that!! . . . . . . . No not an actual bull's mickey, but a short iron bar with a pointed end, It's been in the family for generations. And the saying round here is " Oh Tom has a bull's mickey, but he can't use it" If you're not very good at removing them staples that is.......

Lads this thread is gone to fup!

• Advertisement

foxylock wrote: »
    I use a bull's mickey for that!! . . . . . . . No not an actual bull's mickey, but a short iron bar with a pointed end, It's been in the family for generations. And the saying round here is " Oh Tom has a bull's mickey, but he can't use it" If you're not very good at removing them staples that is.......

Lads this thread is gone to fup!
    must try it with my lad he is due a day out :D:D:D (the bull that is )

Snowc wrote: »
    wait till u get the plastic carton there is a handle on those ones easier to carry around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Tetanus shot???

might be useful!

14. A list of smart answers for when the nosy neighbour comes around asking you what the f**k your at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I find that the easiest way to remove old fencing is to get a small bit of it caught in the rotor arm of the hedgecutter. I stripped 200m of rusty barbed wire with it once in less than 4 seconds. There's a bit of a rattle and then a BOOM and you know that all the wire is rolled up when there's no noise from the hedgecutter and the tractor is left running at 540 :D:D:D

A simple bolt cutters will remove the barbed wire and you're off again :D:D:D

Its not for the faint hearted and i don't recommend sheep wire :eek:

reilig wrote: »
    There's a bit of a rattle and then a BOOM and you know that all the wire is rolled up when there's no noise from the hedgecutter and the tractor is left running at 540

Does she just shear a bolt? Scary the sh*t out of you I'd say. I hope you haven't a canvas cab on the old massey!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭cjpm

reilig wrote: »
    I find that the easiest way to remove old fencing is to get a small bit of it caught in the rotor arm of the hedgecutter. :eek:

I remember seeing a programme called "999 Emergency" about 15 years ago and one episide was about a fella who did just that. One of the barbs from the fence was blown into the cab and bust some major vein close to his heart. He lost a load of blood and only just survived it by the skin of his teeth!!

Scary stuff!! :eek:

My dad caught some high tensile wire once. It was a bitch to cut it off, easiest thing was just to burn it with the welder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Muckit wrote: »
    Does she just shear a bolt? Scary the sh*t out of you I'd say. I hope you haven't a canvas cab on the old massey!!

Its on the New Holland. It has no shearbolts - the rotor is powered by oil so when something stops the rotor spinning, the oil just cuts off.

It can be a pain in the arse. It happened once with electric fence wire and it got all caught around the shaft and bearings. Had to take out the rotor to get the wire out.

Its safe enough because the head has rubber covers on front and back to prevent debree from flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Muckit wrote: »
    14. A list of smart answers for when the nosy neighbour comes around asking you what the f**k your at

15. A spare hammer and the offer of unpaid employment to above neighbour will see him off quicker than a cross dog :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

I just tend to use the digger to pull down old fences :p roll it all up in a ball and then.............
    empty plastic milk carton handy in the digger in case your busy and you need a .......

• Advertisement
Advertisement