Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor & Surveyor

Options
  • 15-02-2012 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I'm about to put an offer in on a property in Dublin 1. Does anyone have recommendations for a cheap but good solicitor for the conveyancing and a surveyor (ditto - cheap & good.) Any help gratefully received. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

worthyone wrote: »
    I'm about to put an offer in on a property in Dublin 1. Does anyone have recommendations for a cheap but good solicitor for the conveyancing and a surveyor (ditto - cheap & good.) Any help gratefully received. Thanks.

I have an excellent solicitor and surveyor I can recommend to you. Both are very competitively priced, thorough & professional. If you send me a PM I'll give you the contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 worthyone

PM sent.

worthyone wrote: »
    PM sent.

Sent you on some details...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Be wary of unqualified surveyors. The term in not protected so any cowboy can set up offering a "surveyor" service. I used these guys: http://www.surv.ie/residential-properties/

They provided a very detailed report and clearly know what they're doing.

With a solicitor the profession is heavily regulated and you have the protection of the law society if something goes wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 29 worthyone

Thanks - sound advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

I used these guys recently and found the quality of the report to be excellent: http://www.mcgovernsurveyors.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dufferlover

Guys as a matter of interest what did your surveys include when you get them back?

With a solicitor the profession is heavily regulated and you have the protection of the law society if something goes wrong[/QUOTE]

It can take an awful long time to take a complaint against a solicitor through the Law Society! Unfortunately there are a lot of poor solicitors out there (& some excellent ones) but I'd recommend going with a practice that someone you know has previously dealt with and can recommend. I come across horror stories of mortgages not being registered for years, security not being perfected etc.. Other common complaints are that it's impossible to get in touch with the solicitor, paperwork going missing etc etc.. If you were getting an electrician in to work on your house you probably wouldn't just pick them out of the phonebook...the same principle applies to picking your solicitor.

Guys as a matter of interest what did your surveys include when you get them back?

These are the items a good structural surveyor will cover....

- Planning & Building Regulation Issues - particularly important if the property has been extended or altered. This is a very important area at present. We request copies of available certs and provide feedback on them to assist the purchaser's Solicitor
    - BER (Building Energy Rating). If available, we will provide advice of the rating and offer advice on possible cost effective improvements.

INTERIOR
    Walls & Ceilings
    Moisture Meter Readings - we carry out a full damp inspection using a Tramex moisture meter. Of particular concern is rising damp and staining to walls and ceilings caused by penetrative damp or leaks.
    Floors
    Stairs
    Roof Space
    Insulation
    Roof Felt
    Party Wall(s)
    Roof Vent Connections
    Doors & Windows
    Plumbing & Heating
    Sanitary & Welfare Facilities
    Drainage
    Electrics
    Room Air Venting

EXTERIOR
    Roof(s)
    Roof Eaves & Air Venting
    Chimneystack(s) and Parapet Walls
    Walls
    Rainwater Goods & External Piping
    General / Maintenance
    Deleterious Materials i.e. asbestos or lead piping
    Conclusion
    Costings

killers1 wrote: »
    These are the items a good structural surveyor will cover....

- Planning & Building Regulation Issues - particularly important if the property has been extended or altered. This is a very important area at present. We request copies of available certs and provide feedback on them to assist the purchaser's Solicitor
    - BER (Building Energy Rating). If available, we will provide advice of the rating and offer advice on possible cost effective improvements.

INTERIOR
    Walls & Ceilings
    Moisture Meter Readings - we carry out a full damp inspection using a Tramex moisture meter. Of particular concern is rising damp and staining to walls and ceilings caused by penetrative damp or leaks.
    Floors
    Stairs
    Roof Space
    Insulation
    Roof Felt
    Party Wall(s)
    Roof Vent Connections
    Doors & Windows
    Plumbing & Heating
    Sanitary & Welfare Facilities
    Drainage
    Electrics
    Room Air Venting

EXTERIOR
    Roof(s)
    Roof Eaves & Air Venting
    Chimneystack(s) and Parapet Walls
    Walls
    Rainwater Goods & External Piping
    General / Maintenance
    Deleterious Materials i.e. asbestos or lead piping
    Conclusion
    Costings

Thanks a mil Killers. We got our back yesterday and I was as angry as hell! It was like something a work experience kid would do. It went something like this: Hallway - laminate flooring throughout. Toilet: Toilet flush working. Water pressure okay. All for 280! My other half could have done that for nothing. The only thing he had to say was that the fascias needed painting. I'm a girl and I knew that by taking one look :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

[Quote=dufferlover;
    Costings[/QUOTE]

Thanks a mil Killers. We got our back yesterday and I was as angry as hell! It was like something a work experience kid would do. It went something like this: Hallway - laminate flooring throughout. Toilet: Toilet flush working. Water pressure okay. All for 280! My other half could have done that for nothing. The only thing he had to say was that the fascias needed painting. I'm a girl and I knew that by taking one look :rolleyes:[/Quote]

Wow! That's scandalous! Please tell me you haven't paid for the survey? A proper report will consist of about 10 pages of information. By the sounds of yours I could have done it and that's really saying something!! Are you going to get another one done? If you're buying in Dublin/Leinster I can recommend someone for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

if you follow the link I posted above, they show a sample report. They also included 7 or 8 photos of areas that needed attention.

if you follow the link I posted above, they show a sample report. They also included 7 or 8 photos of areas that needed attention.[/Quote]

As a matter of interest Bigcheeze how much did they charge you for the survey incl. VAT?

Thanks a mil Killers. We got our back yesterday and I was as angry as hell! It was like something a work experience kid would do. It went something like this: Hallway - laminate flooring throughout. Toilet: Toilet flush working. Water pressure okay. All for 280! My other half could have done that for nothing. The only thing he had to say was that the fascias needed painting. I'm a girl and I knew that by taking one look :rolleyes:

Wow! That's scandalous! Please tell me you haven't paid for the survey? A proper report will consist of about 10 pages of information. By the sounds of yours I could have done it and that's really saying something!! Are you going to get another one done? If you're buying in Dublin/Leinster I can recommend someone for you...[/QUOTE]

Oh yes d**khead here paid for it. The file was in an envelope so paid (in cash!), picked it up and opened it when I got home. So annoyed.

Wow! That's scandalous! Please tell me you haven't paid for the survey? A proper report will consist of about 10 pages of information. By the sounds of yours I could have done it and that's really saying something!! Are you going to get another one done? If you're buying in Dublin/Leinster I can recommend someone for you...

Oh yes d**khead here paid for it. The file was in an envelope so paid (in cash!), picked it up and opened it when I got home. So annoyed.[/QUOTE]

I think I'd be asking for a refund...

I so will be demanding my money back.

I'm amazing in this climate that people think they can still get away with this crap. Had he been good I would have recommended him to a lot of friends who are all in the process of house hunting. But now all he'll get is a bad reputation. The annoying thing is that my boss recommended him to me.

I so will be demanding my money back.

I'm amazing in this climate that people think they can still get away with this crap. Had he been good I would have recommended him to a lot of friends who are all in the process of house hunting. But now all he'll get is a bad reputation. The annoying thing is that my boss recommended him to me.

I'd suggest having a word with your boss too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

Sounds exactly like what a mate of mine paid €150 for a few months ago. He went to the bank with it and they told him that he needed something more substantial. It consisted of three skimpy pages which stated that everything "seemed" ok in the most non-commital way it could it be written.

I paid €350 for one recently that ran to 12 pages and covered evrything that killers1 mentioned.

There's lots of chancers out there.

domcq wrote: »
    Sounds exactly like what a mate of mine paid €150 for a few months ago. He went to the bank with it and they told him that he needed something more substantial. It consisted of three skimpy pages which stated that everything "seemed" ok in the most non-commital way it could it be written.

I paid €350 for one recently that ran to 12 pages and covered evrything that killers1 mentioned.

There's lots of chancers out there.

The banks don't need to see the results of the survey, do they?

The banks don't need to see the results of the survey, do they?

Banks only insist on seeing a copy of the structural survey report where the property is over 100 years old...Anything less than that and they are happy enough with just the Bank Valuation report

• Advertisement

Banks only insist on seeing a copy of the structural survey report where the property is over 100 years old...Anything less than that and they are happy enough with just the Bank Valuation report

Ah yes, this is what they don't need to see our piece of sh*te so!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mrs vimes

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Be wary of unqualified surveyors. The term in not protected so any cowboy can set up offering a "surveyor" service. I used these guys: http://www.surv.ie/residential-properties/

With a solicitor the profession is heavily regulated and you have the protection of the law society if something goes wrong

According to today's Irish Times this is (thankfully) no longer the case.

OP, if the "surveyor" you used isn't properly qualified then you should report him and make sure you get a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Man007

OP we are currently in the process of purchasing.

I rang around and cheapest solicitor i got was a flat fee of €1,300 including all outlays. Next to this was roungly €2,500 so the price seemed to good to be true.

Checked Law Society Website and he is legit so stopped second guessing myslef and took the saving

Now land registry fees can range from €100-€600 so I was skeptical but I got in writing that he would absorb the cost no matter what it ended up.

If you are interested PM me I can't comment on service yet as our contracts have only been sent out.

We got a very good Surveyor the other day too we paid €350 including VAT

Man007 wrote: »
    OP we are currently in the process of purchasing.

I rang around and cheapest solicitor i got was a flat fee of €1,300 including all outlays. Next to this was roungly €2,500 so the price seemed to good to be true.

Checked Law Society Website and he is legit so stopped second guessing myslef and took the saving

Now land registry fees can range from €100-€600 so I was skeptical but I got in writing that he would absorb the cost no matter what it ended up.

If you are interested PM me I can't comment on service yet as our contracts have only been sent out.

We got a very good Surveyor the other day too we paid €350 including VAT

That's not a bad price from your solicitor, remember cheapest isn't always the best though and I'd still urge people to use a solicitor that has been recommended to them. I presume when you got your quote you had given the solicitor the address of the property you were buying? They would then know whether is was Land Registry or Registry of Deeds which would determine the level of cost involved with the outlay. My guess is that the registration fees are closer to the €100 mark. The main thing to compare between solicitors quote is what is their actual professional fee? The outlays should be around the same irrespective of the solicitor you use. You should always ask the solicitor to email you a full breakdown of the quote including the Professional Fee, Outlays etc etc which will make it much easier to compare against other quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Man007

I presume when you got your quote you had given the solicitor the address of the property you were buying? They would then know whether is was Land Registry or Registry of Deeds which would determine the level of cost involved with the outlay. My guess is that the registration fees are closer to the €100 mark.

No never mentioned the address before I decided to go with him simply rang for a price thought it was too good to be true so asked them to mail it to me.

I asked what if Land Registry was €600 and they replied it doesn't make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Bigcheeze wrote: »

The term building surveyor is protected by the 2007 building control act, all properly qualified surveyors are registered with the society of chartered surveyors, www.scsi.ie some also hold rics qualification, but must have scs membership for rep of ireland

Advertisement