Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney sonstruction - Vermiculite

Options
  • 15-02-2012 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

My stove supplier has asked that I make sure there is vermiculite around the clay flue pots in chimneys. Builder had intended using sand & cement mix. I understand now why I should use insulation around the flue especially as the stove has max output of 12kw. Its a double sided stove feeding 2 rooms and wood burning. I want to get it right first time.

I was wondering if there was any alternative to vermiculite that would be as good as it. It seems quite expensive. Do rockwool do any flue liners that would insulate clay pots? Also I'm in West Cork area. Does anyone know where I could get the vermiculite and roughly what the price par bag (100litre) would be approx

Regards
    Liam
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Liam, it seems to be the best option but yeah its the most expensive also.. as regards sourcing - pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭liamolaighin

BryanF wrote: »
    Liam, it seems to be the best option but yeah its the most expensive also.. as regards sourcing - pm sent
    Thanks Brian. I'll check that out tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fionawillan

I just bought some vermiculite board for fireplace, it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Munsterly

Installing Morso squirrel in old fireplace of 150 year old house. Builder has installed flexible flue liner and I was advised to insulate/fill around flue with Vermiculite. This chimney was never lined, it's just bare stone all up to top, same as in walls. I have now discovered that builder has used a mix of sand and lime instead of vermiculite. Is this acceptable or is there a risk that it could ignite if there are soot deposits up there? Or cause condensation? Someone else raised the possibility that sand/lime is corrosive and could damage stainless steel flue in time? Would be grateful for any advice on this. Am completely addled as have had lots of conflicting suggestions on this issue. Thanks.

Advertisement