Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you sort your Movie/ TV Library?

• 15-02-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering how everybody would tend to sort their movie library?

At the moment I have everything sorted by genre but can't really make up my mind If I like this method or not :confused:

For example:
    /Video/Movies/Comedy/Adventureland.avi
    /Video/Movies/Comedy/Rushmore.avi
    /Video/Movies/Comedy/The Blues Brothers.avi

/Video/Movies/Sci Fi/2001: A Space Odyssey.avi
    /Video/Movies/Sci Fi/Terminator 2: Judgment Day.avi

How do you sort your Movies? 36 votes

Genre
    0% 0 votes
    Alphabetically
    19% 7 votes
    Year
    72% 26 votes
    Other
    8% 3 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

All around the shop, makes it more interesting picking stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I prefer the alphabetical, it's easier to find something (especially if you have a big collection).
    And the TV series separately from the films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

By mood and colour.

The way I've had them for a while and I hate moving them at all now. Everything is sorted by their general mood and I've noticed the colours of covers tend to agglomerate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

All on 2tb external hard drive, have it about half full. Have them grouped in different folders according to genre. Very easy and quick to flick through. Sold most of my dvds and box sets. The external hard drive is the only way to go. The dvds were just taking up space and gathering dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

MJ23 wrote: »
    All on 2tb external hard drive, have it about half full. Have them grouped in different folders according to genre. Very easy and quick to flick through. Sold most of my dvds and box sets. The external hard drive is the only way to go. The dvds were just taking up space and gathering dust.

I'm getting to this point. I really need to start transferring my DVDs to digital while I have the chance our I'll probably end up leaving them disused (and in a lot of cases, un-watched) in the attic.

My 2TB drive is separated into HD/SD and film and tv because the simple fact is high definition can be a deciding feature if I'm un-decided on what to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

No need for fancy folder arrangements because XBMC sorts them for me. I can sort by year, genre, director, actors, imdb rating etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

When I can, by director / country / distributor (the latter because it makes it look nicer).

But mostly it's just a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 BeerDrinker

Am I the only one who generally deletes movies after watching them?

No point in keeping something that was just 'alright' and likely to never watch again for a good while. If ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

have 3 8 foot shelves of DVDs plus more scattered about the house, theres a clump of comedies in one place and most films that have sequels are on there own shelf,

then i have more films on hard drives, a 1TB drive for films i havent seen and another for films i have, theres just so many its the best way to keep track, but its murder to pick a film, to many options :D,

recently my seen film hard drive packed it, devastated:(:mad:

i dunno how you can sort by genre, so many films would have multiple genres, like mr and mrs smith and bad boy, or city slickers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Trying to get my collection down to films I'd watch every 18 months or so. No need for these 500+ collections. Going to try and whittle it down to 50-80 films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dclewis

I do mine by production company. The cases all look the same. Then after that by colour. I find its easy I would remember who made the films for some reason. When ever I tell people this they think im strange for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Simian!

Dick: It guess it looks as if you're reorganizing your records. What is this though? Chronological?
    Rob: No...
    Dick: Not alphabetical...
    Rob: Nope.
    Dick: What?
    Rob: Autobiographical.
    Dick: No ****in' way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

My digital Movie and TV collection are sorted in both XBMC and Plex alphabetically. Both do it automatically for me.

I also have around 1000 dvd/Blu-rays that are in one big shelf unit under the stairs. Theres no order to them, just randomly stored there. I also reckon I have at least 50-60 titles that are still shrink wrapped, most of them bought years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

got about 18tb worth of movies and tv shows on my media centre with movies sorted alphabetically, although i do separate them by resolution e.g.
    Movies/SD 480p
    Movies/HD 720p
    Movies/HD 1080p
    tv shows then are all on separate drives to the movies, and are thrown in a folder for each show with subfolders for each season e.g. TV Shows/Frasier/Season 1 (1993-1994)/Episode 01 - Pilot.m4v,
    for shows with both HD and SD versions of episodes (from itunes) i use: TV Shows/Friday Night Lights/Season 1 (2006-2007)/HD & SD folders/Episode 01 - Pilot.m4v

apple tv's all around the house which also sort them by alphabet, genre or unwatched (unwatched is a godsend for tv shows), never really bothered sorting out my boxsets/dvd's/blu rays etc. got about 3000 so not going to start now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

jc84 wrote: »
    got about 18tb worth of movies and tv shows on my media centre with movies sorted alphabetically, tv shows then are all on separate drives to the movies, and are thrown in a folder for each show with subfolders for each season e.g. TV Shows/Frasier/Season 1 (1993-1994)/Episode 01 - Pilot.m4v,
    for shows with both HD and SD versions of episodes (from itunes) i use: TV Shows/Friday Night Lights/Season 1 (2006-2007)/HD & SD folders/Episode 01 - Pilot.m4v

apple tv's all around the house which also sort them by alphabet, genre or unwatched (unwatched is a godsend for tv shows), never really bothered sorting out my boxsets/dvd's/blu rays etc. got about 3000 so not going to start now
    sweet jesus:eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Lumped into Movies 1,2 +3 and Television folders.
    Then Plex takes care of the rest.

I've about 20 DVDs left to rip which will join the rest into the attic. Only thing left on display is Blu-rays...its great not having shelf fulls of DVDs on display anymore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I'm old fashioned and only have hard copy movies and TV on DVD. And I sort them alphabetical if I can. But it does leave conundrums about where exactly they should go. EG: Batman Begins and The Dark Knight - does one go under "B"s and the other under "D"s; or do they go side by side under the "B"s. I have several other examples and the OCD in me finds it very hard to decide.

TV and other DVDs like music are always kept separate from the films though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

jc84 wrote: »
    got about 18tb worth of movies and tv shows on my media centre with movies sorted alphabetically, although i do separate them by resolution e.g.
    Movies/SD 480p
    Movies/HD 720p
    Movies/HD 1080p
    tv shows then are all on separate drives to the movies, and are thrown in a folder for each show with subfolders for each season e.g. TV Shows/Frasier/Season 1 (1993-1994)/Episode 01 - Pilot.m4v,

Pffft I have a much more organised setup. A .txt file!!! I picked a random entry in the file and Disc 26 contains: Dogma, Shameless (English) season 3 and the original Transformers movie.

I think I heard some of the OCD heads screaming :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Plex worth getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

For the most part I sort it by company (ie all the warner brothers are in a bunch, all the universal, paramount etc). Strangely I'm able to find the stuff quicker by this method and it's also much easier to maintain than an a-z arrangement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Renn wrote: »
    Plex worth getting?

I much prefer it to XBMC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't organise anything. When I get a new DVD/Blu-ray I just add it to the pile on the floor next to the television. I don't really organise my rips either. When I'm looking for a particular film file I just use Spotlight.

*shrugs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Renn wrote: »
    Plex worth getting?

I haven't used XBMC much as I found Plex works so well on my Mac. I'd highly recommend it, its a great bit of software.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

don ramo wrote: »
    i dunno how you can sort by genre, so many films would have multiple genres, like mr and mrs smith and bad boy, or city slickers

Mr and Mrs Smith - Action
    Bad Boys - Action
    City Slickers - Comedy

Simples!

just go with whatever the main genre of a film is, the first 2 would be more action than comedy and the last is more comedy than what? Cowboy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭smck99

quickbeam wrote: »
    I sort them alphabetical if I can. But it does leave conundrums about where exactly they should go. EG: Batman Begins and The Dark Knight - does one go under "B"s and the other under "D"s; or do they go side by side under the "B"s. I have several other examples and the OCD in me finds it very hard to decide.

I have this problem also but would tend to group them both under B, as Batman Begins, Batman - The Dark Knight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

TV and related films go together in chronological order. All other films go by genre, then alphabetical order. On my computer, each series gets its own folder and films are all together, sorted alphabetically.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

I just love my external Maxtor Hardrive for viewing...

as they used to say on rte..."there's so much in it". :cool:

Sadly, times are a pickin' now but WE will rise again. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I'm a DVD man and store things in time order. I like to see how cinema has developed over time and I have a fair few older films in my collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I don't organise anything. When I get a new DVD/Blu-ray I just add it to the pile on the floor next to the television. I don't really organise my rips either. When I'm looking for a particular film file I just use Spotlight.

*shrugs*

I'm with Sad professor. There are shelves, drawers and ground piles being used in 2 different rooms, and the only order they are in, is that the ones on top are the ones I've watched more recently. Having said that my Blu-Yay collection are in one pile, though not ordered within that pile... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I used to do it alphabetically by genre, but that was a little confusing because some were mixed genres, so just alphabetically now.

Friend of mine did it by colour which looked amazing but drove my OCD mind crazy because sometimes sequels were't next to the originals if the DVD sleeve was a different colour >_< :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Mine are sorted out by the Windows Media Center plugin, MyMovies.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭noisenotmusic

On my hard drives, SD films/regular downloads go into SEEN & UNSEEN folders. I have a separate folder on another drive for HD films, mostly because I couldn't fit them on the first drive. Apart from that they're all just lumped in under Movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

This thread has made me realise I'm not nearly the nerd I thought I was. And I don't know if I'm happy or unhappy about that.

Advertisement