Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Returns....

Options
  • 15-02-2012 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey all,

Last year I did the 12 month IWT in MA and I need a bit of advice regarding tax returns. The company that I worked for sent me on the W2 form and told me to go to the IRS website and that everything from there on would be pretty much self explanatory. I have absolutely no idea what to do from there. All of these figures and forms are confusing the hell out of me.

I am considering using a tax service provider, does anybody have any experience with these guys or have any tips on filing my tax returns by myself?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Hi

As a non resident, you will either fill out form 1040 NR or 1040NR-EZ. It depends on how much you earned during the 12 months and a few other things - hope this links help you: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040nre.pdf

If you end up having to file 1040NR-EZ it seems pretty straight forward to do by yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 CompositeJohn

Happy reading...http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf

That will probably confuse you further :-P

I the middle of doing this myself and trying to figure out whats best to do.

I don't fancy paying someone else to do it but might in the end for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 FrackMan

Ended up using Turbo Tax for the returns, it took about half an hour and cost about $50, not too bad I reckon!

I'm owed a nice little sum of money back so happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

generally if you're not earning a high salary while you're here you'll find that you're owed a decent bit of a return so it's worth paying turbotax.com or hrblock.com to make sure you get it right.....cost of filing varies from $39 upwards depending on how complicated your return is.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bearnabeauty

What info do you need prior to filling out documents with Turbotax. Will save me reading through everything :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

What info do you need prior to filling out documents with Turbotax. Will save me reading through everything :)

in most cases your w-2 has everything you need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Be aware that a lot of online/pay tax return packages do not support the non-resident tax forms. (i.e. 1040NR/1040NR-EZ).

Advertisement