Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

landcruiser

• 15-02-2012 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello
    i am planning to buy a toyota landcruiser commercial 07/08
    are there any problems with them that i should know about before buying

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Kevin1150

i would...check injectors recall was carried out in models up to 2006 (maybe ok if 07?) and there was something about not being able to write depreciation off against tax for 08 upwards (not sure)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056482575

Lots of info on motoring page, watch out for the clutch as well. Have an older one myself, they are a pig on diesel but I wouldn't part with it ......yet. LWB are probably more comfortable, they are great for towing but I wouldn't know whether lwb or swb is better for towing.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

biggest thing to look out for is the next filling station :D:D, so far in 55k km (bought second hand) I have only put in a new clutch, only done 10 months yet though with me, dont think it will have any owners after me either. :rolleyes:. Wouldnt consider it a great towing jeep, plenty of power but poor handling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Kevin1150

yeah they do like the diesel...and bodywork very very weak...would agree with bad handling on lwb with trailer...but apart from that pleasure to drive:D...140k km and still on original tyres;)

Kevin1150 wrote: »
    yeah they do like the diesel...and bodywork very very weak...would agree with bad handling on lwb with trailer...but apart from that pleasure to drive:D...140k km and still on original tyres;)

original Michelins I presume

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I have an '06 Landcruiser. The Injector recall issue had to do with the injector seats. These are the small washers that sit down under the injectors. I read it somewhere that problem was as follows - these were letting carbon get down into the engine and sludging up the oil. Check the Jeep reg with Toyota and they should tell you if there is an issue with the one you're looking at.
    I find mine great. Great power to pull. Savage acceleration when the turbo kicks in. I does feel like it's unstable on the road at first, but with permanent 4WD, after a while you know it ain't going anywhere. Heavy enough on diesel but I do very low mileage anyway.

Post Note, ref for injector issue
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=88252

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

pakalasa wrote: »
    I have an '06 Landcruiser. The Injector recall issue had to do with the injector seats. These are the small washers that sit down under the injectors. I read it somewhere that problem was as follows - these were letting carbon get down into the engine and sludging up the oil. Check the Jeep reg with Toyota and they should tell you if there is an issue with the one you're looking at.
    I find mine great. Great power to pull. Savage acceleration when the turbo kicks in. I does feel like it's unstable on the road at first, but with permanent 4WD, after a while you know it ain't going anywhere. Heavy enough on diesel but I do very low mileage anyway.

Are they really heavier on diesel than any other 4x4 of similar size?

I've a Mitsubishi L200 with a 2.5 engine. Its not too bad on diesel, but if you hitch even the smallest trailer on the back, you can notice the difference in mpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

lads going off topic a bit but what do ye make of the vw amorak? when first I saw them i thought they were a bit mickey mouse looking but have read a few reviews and watched a few clips on youtube and it seems like a capable machine. its only 2.0 diesel but i think producting 160bhp and by what ive read its good to tow..its mad expensive of course but maybe in afew years time 2nd hand ones might be a good alternative to landcruiser and pajero etc

reilig wrote: »
    Probably not. It's my first 4x4 so nothing to compare to. The 6th gear is a big help when cruising on the motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

reilig wrote: »

I've a Mitsubishi L200 with a 2.5 engine. Its not too bad on diesel, but if you hitch even the smallest trailer on the back, you can notice the difference in mpg.
    I went from a 2.5 Pajero to a 00 3.0td cruiser and to be honest I didnt notice any difference between them in mpg. There is a big difference power wise though. One of the friends has a 07 6 speed and it makes a big difference economy wise when your tipping along a good road. I don't know about the l200 but the biggest fault I had with the Pajero is that it was geared too low in the older ones, grand for towing but severe when just driving normally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I went from a 2.5 Pajero to a 00 3.0td cruiser and to be honest I didnt notice any difference between them in mpg. There is a big difference power wise though. One of the friends has a 07 6 speed and it makes a big difference economy wise when your tipping along a good road. I don't know about the l200 but the biggest fault I had with the Pajero is that it was geared too low in the older ones, grand for towing but severe when just driving normally.

I wasn't promoting the L200 at all. If I had my choice it would be a toyota, but prices make choices. I have a toyota car with 200,000km on it this week and the only part ever to go into it was brake pads. My l200 does less than 8k miles per year.

Agree on low gearing. On a motorway in 5th gear all you have is loud engine noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

We've a 2.5 old shape pajero ourselves. I Love the way you can set the suspension S-M-H. Is that feature in all jeeps?

Re fuel economy. The oul lad is forever giving out to me if I drive her over 40mph, that's without a trailer!! :rolleyes: 'It's not a car you're driving' he keeps saying. He has a point though, it's the only way you'I keep the fuel bill down in a jeep!

yes its a good bit heavier on juice than other competitors but if it can manage to stay out of the garage more than its competitors it will work out cheaper. I have ran jeeps that were a good lighter on juice but reliability was a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dryan

Lads,

I have a 01 landcruiser commercial at home that the boss man uses for trucking around in. Cant find a fault with it.
    I have 2 young kids (4 & 2) now. Up to now, the young lad would sit on the armrest between the 2 seats. I know, its dangerous and against the law, etc etc.
    Anyway, Lookaing at a VW Touareg 04 passenger model - 2.5 TDI.
    200K km on the clock.
    Money is very very reasonable - too good to turn down really. I have a bit of time to think about it.
    Anyone any experience with these. It will be pulling an 12 x 6 ifor williams on and off....and my mind will be at ease with the kid(s) in the back seats.

Holding onto the landrcruiser for the boss man to tip around in. It would be like a death in the family if he had to get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭cattle man

tul_ie wrote: »
    Hello
    i am planning to buy a toyota landcruiser commercial 07/08
    are there any problems with them that i should know about before buying

thanks

have the older model 97-01.
    is a super jeep but heavy on diesiel especially now with it at near 1.60 a litre:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

engine blew in a buddys 08 and when he went to the breakers he was told they are blowing in a pile of them,he said he has at least one a week looking for one:(

keep going wrote: »
    engine blew in a buddys 08 and when he went to the breakers he was told they are blowing in a pile of them,he said he has at least one a week looking for one:(
    What's causing them to blow?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭island of tighe

injector issues id say.i have 06 swb landcruiser.i got the injector seals done for the second time last week,both times for free at main toyota dealer.the oil light came on while on the way to the mart.i stopped straight away,my mechanic told me if i kept driving the engine would blow.its all sorted now.i have the jeep 5 years and find it a great machine

injector issues id say.i have 06 swb landcruiser.i got the injector seals done for the second time last week,both times for free at main toyota dealer.the oil light came on while on the way to the mart.i stopped straight away,my mechanic told me if i kept driving the engine would blow.its all sorted now.i have the jeep 5 years and find it a great machine
    I've an '06 myself.
    When you did them twice, at what mileage and how far apart time wise. I thought once was enough to do them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

I've an '06 myself.
    When you did them twice, at what mileage and how far apart time wise. I thought once was enough to do them.

Iv an 06. Injectors done once.200k km on it now. Very little trailer work though.
    Bought new.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭island of tighe

first injectors done at 60000km 3 years ago,apparently the injectors were modified after i got them done and thats why i had trouble with them again.they tell me these new type modified injector seals definatly wont give me any problems there is 154000km on the jeep now

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mantua

Its the carbon that starves the engine of oil which makes it go bang and even if you have had the injectors replaced make sure whenever you are getting it serviced to take the sump off and clean it out because their could still be carbon in the sump and might take a while to have any effect. Was told that by a mechanic in toyota which makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

according to the breaker they are a lot less tolerant of not keeping up with oil changes which sounds along the lines of other posts

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

keep going wrote: »
    according to the breaker they are a lot less tolerant of not keeping up with oil changes which sounds along the lines of other posts

I wonder is it un-burnt diesel getting down into the sump and diluting the engine oil causing engines to blow?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement