Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poland - Weather forecast for late March

Options
  • 15-02-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any idea what the weather in the north of Poland will be like at the end of March this year? Is it likely to remain snowy or to snow again?

I'm aware that it probably like asking how long is a piece of string and it's a long way out but I have a decision to make and some of it rests on what it will be like there then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Difficult question. From my over 20 years of exp there is a good possibility of snow still on the green areas, but temperature should be between 5 and 10 degrees. on plus ofc.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭sq_forever

Any idea for June? Not a forecast but what to expect? Some thunderstorms would be nice. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Summary for March 2011 (warm and dry)
    Summary for March 2010 (unusually warm)
    Summary for March 2009 (colder than expected and wet)

July usually turns out to be the wettest month with chances of local to regional floods.
    Fairly good chance for a thunderstorm then. Not sure about June.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The end of march sart of april is normaly the start of spring in poland nice and mild proper spring weather but could be just as easy bitterly cold with snow and ice,north eastern poland is usely the coldest part of poland.poland is a very big country if you give more details ,i could give you more info. As far as tunder storms go you should experenice some in june, july is better and they have some serious tunder storms like what we had in the summer of 85 ,bloodly brilent thunder storms:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

ZX7R wrote: »
    .poland is a very big country if you give more details ,i could give you more info.

My son has been invited to go with his Polish friend when they go home for a week to a place called Gdynia on the Gulf of Gdansk around the 25th March. I'm just wondering clothes and footwear wise what he should be taking with him. I know I could wait and ask his friend's parents but I'm all excited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I don't have any specific info on the patterns likely by then, but I would say that it's very likely that many parts of eastern Europe will see severe flooding in March simply because it is almost 100% certain to warm up above freezing and there is a massive snow pack in many areas. Now that comment won't apply so much to northern Poland, but I thought I would mention it as a general concern.

You should probably expect a range of weather that includes a bit of leftover winter and one or two warmer days in a week at that time of year, in northern Poland.

Getting back to the flood risk, since some regions have record amounts of snow cover and these are at latitudes well south of Poland or for that matter Ireland, with normal late March temperatures in the 10-15 C range daytime, I would be very surprised if they avoided severe flooding once a thaw sets in. That would apply in particular to Bosnia, Montenegro, Serbia, Bulgaria and Romania. But it might also apply further north in eastern Europe at least in some regions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

My son has been invited to go with his Polish friend when they go home for a week to a place called Gdynia on the Gulf of Gdansk around the 25th March. I'm just wondering clothes and footwear wise what he should be taking with him. I know I could wait and ask his friend's parents but I'm all excited.

He is lucky :) ,gdansk is a beautyful city, i take it your son is young,so i would deffently pack a warm jacket as it can be very windy there ,he should be ok with the weather its the start of spring then,the air there is a lot dryer there so te temetures should feel warmer to him as he is use to the irish weather,tempatures avarage between 12 and 15 degrees but can reach up to 17 /18 d ,but as i said in my last post you could have a wintery bite also but unlikely ,at the moment things are starting to warm up a little in poland but still well below freezing,but there still a chance of a second sibearin air returing there towards the end of the month, so i would deffently contact them a week before he travels;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

My son has been invited to go with his Polish friend when they go home for a week to a place called Gdynia on the Gulf of Gdansk around the 25th March.

If Gdynia - he'll be fine. Especially when we're talking about almost April.
    I'd say it won't be worse than what you currently have in Ireland.

March/April being the time of Easter I remember attending the mass as a boy having only t-shirt on top. Might be warmer but certainly won't be worse than you have now here minus the rain.

As for the flooding - no worries there - even if he'll be safe in the city.
    Gdynia populationwise is size of a Cork and forming a part of metropolitan area called Tricity, Gdansk-Gdynia-Sopot, half of Dublin metropolitan.

Some memories from Sopot.

Advertisement