Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Extension Planning Issue

Options
  • 15-02-2012 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

I'd like to get peoples thoughts on this:

I've recently bid (offer was accepted) on a property (Dublin 12) that has a kitchen extension that after much back and forth between the seller's architect and my surveyor they have conceded that it needs planning retention.

The seller suggested that when I'm the owner, that I apply for the retention and that they would knock €500 off for the cost of the application. They say the planning retention is a formality (It's there longer than 7 years) and that it will no doubt be granted - I've declined this request as I don't really know what unforeseen issues there might be and requested that they sort it out.

I'm not interested in negotiating money off either as I can't really quantify the risk that for whatever reason I might not get the retention after I'm the owner.

In the last 10 years, I gather that it was common practice to for buyers to gloss over the finer details such as planning retention when sqeezed by the sellers to close the deal.

The seller has since put the property back on the market without the required planning retention in the hope that another buyer will take it and gloss over the planning issue. I would have thought the sensible thing to do would have been to put in an application at least and start the ball rolling.

Does anybody have any experience or stories of buyers overlooking things like planning retention for extensions just to close the sale and sort it out later that live to regret it?

Advertisement