Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why you guys always recommend ATI cards?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Serephucus wrote: »
    I saw something in a Guru3D rig of the month that you might like to consider: Black tubing, sleeved. It looks absolutely bad-ass. I'll be doing it for my next build. Sleeving that big is very hard to find, but IIRC, FrozenCPU stocks it.

Edit: This

Yea that looks pretty interesting :). Would be alot of work to braid two loops though. I plan on braiding this 1500watt silverstone psu also and altering alot of the wires. I bought it because I think it will fit perfect with the ld case :).

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

I saw something in a Guru3D rig of the month that you might like to consider: Black tubing, sleeved. It looks absolutely bad-ass. I'll be doing it for my next build. Sleeving that big is very hard to find, but IIRC, FrozenCPU stocks it.

Edit: This

that looks class. If there was some mdpc-x sleeving for that it would give you a lovely finish
    deceit wrote: »
    Yea that looks pretty interesting :). Would be alot of work to braid two loops though. I plan on braiding this 1500watt silverstone psu also and altering alot of the wires. I bought it because I think it will fit perfect with the ld case :).

What sleeving are you planning on using on your PSU?

deejer wrote: »
    that looks class. If there was some mdpc-x sleeving for that it would give you a lovely finish

What sleeving are you planning on using on your PSU?

I will try it myself with the mdpc-x kit and tools. I will put them all completely black.

I will try it myself with the mdpc-x kit and tools. I will put them all completely black.

There is a really dark red that he does aswell that would go nice with your build.

Just an idea :) Shop seems to be down at the moment so cant link to it

deejer wrote: »
    There is a really dark red that he does aswell that would go nice with your build.

Just an idea :) Shop seems to be down at the moment so cant link to it

I will have a look when the site is back live tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 teflonbilly

Yes it is. Even if you have a 2600K, overclocked to 5.0GHz, you'd still be using less power than my CPU, by anywhere up to 100W. Even if you have six hard drives, odds are you're using less power than my older, less efficient hard drives. I've run my system, with SLI 580s, at 970 core each, from an 850W unit. I could run my current system from an efficient 550W unit quite easily.

And even if you get the highest efficiency at 70% load or whatever, we're talking at most about 3%. Unless you're gaming twelve hours a day, or folding or something, your computer is going to spend most of its time drawing about 150W, meaning you'll end up paying for that extra wattage through your ESB bill, probably about an extra €5 a bill, if not more, which completely blows your argument out of the water.

I'm just saying this because it's something I learned myself quite recently. I was running a single 580 - and for a while SLI 580s - from a 1200W unit, and it just wasn't needed.

But you missed the no noise part. AS long as my PSU is running below 70% the fan doesn't turn on. To me that is sweet. I love a silent pc and witht he hardware I run, with dual pumps, 4 hdd, 2 580's 2600k at 5ghz right now, and a radiator with 9 140mm fans, being able to run my pc at 23db is truly amazing and fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

PSU makes **** all noise compares to graphics cards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Not if you're under water it doesn't.

Not if you're under water it doesn't.

This is one of the biggest reasons why I am using a large psu. When my rig is ready fans will be on the lowest settings that just about move. so the only noise would be the psu. With this large psu it doesnt power up until about 50% usage so I will have a near silent high powered machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

did you buy Thor's Psu?

• Advertisement

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    did you buy Thor's Psu?

I was wondering the same thing - it was on ebay wasnt it.

If anyone is looking for an over the top powered PSU at the moment Flaccus has this one on adverts. 1500w should just about do it :)

did you buy Thor's Psu?

Yea I did and will be picking it up friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Yea I did and will be picking it up friday :)
    saw it, wanted it for some bizarre reason, forgot to look at it again :o

saw it, wanted it for some bizarre reason, forgot to look at it again :o

You will get to see it in my rig friday for a bit until I decide to put it back out to braid all the wires :).

Advertisement