Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job is VB.Net

Options
  • 15-02-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭

From a development perspective:

Started a new job recently, a lot of positives, good people in the office (so far), relaxed atmosphere, casual, technology focused, code base not perfect but not sh1te, 20 minute commute, and all a breath of fresh air coming from finance with I always fuppin' hated :(

But everything about the job was C# (from job title to requirements), until I sat down and looked at the codebase, and it's 90% VB.Net.

Have been coding in VB.Net the last few days, and while not awful (surprisingly), I think there's a novelty factor at play here that'll wear off pretty quickly (already balked at a few things). Boss says it's all old stuff which most likely won't be rewritten, but it's all core product FFS, so I don't know how it's seen as old stuff???

So the question is how long would you give it? Given the positives I'd like to give it a while, but don't want to be writing VB.Net (vs2005) in two years time, still early days so want to let it pan out, all things being equal would you bale, give it 6 months, play it by ear? any opinions?

Thanks,

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Sounds like a bait and switch.

Could be a breach of contract - talk to a lawyer if you want to go that route - but unless it's a bad environment* stick it out for a couple of months and see what's happening around you. There could be some super projects in the pipeline, an internal transfer might be on the cards, or something like that.

That said, you're right to keep an eye on things, it's easy to let your coding skills go stale very quickly.

* forgive the pun ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Is there anything in the contract about being a c# only developer?
    Or the ratio of c to vb?
    Do any of the other devs in the team have any solid ideas about the direction of the product?

Seems there are a number of other positives about the place that should keep you going.
    vb.net is fine.

Assess your happiness every few weeks over the next few months.
    Then go and chat to the project lead if you're still unhappy.
    If still no changes, find another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Both use .net, so same framework. If you learn .net via vb, you can use same knowledge with c#.

Still won't be able to tell your mates what language you use tho.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Still won't be able to tell your mates what language you use tho.

Hahahah. Cheeky.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

VB.net has a pretty undeserved reputation in my opinion. It's fine. Only thing you need to worry about is that your future prospects may be impacted by that aforementioned reputation.

I understand you feel a little cheated given what you were told in the interview but if it's a good crew then there's plenty of other things you can focus on that'll look good on a CV.

• Advertisement

On a certain job search site right now: 42 vb.net jobs, 266 c# jobs.
    I think that it the main issue with vb.net.

The market undeservedly perceives it the same way it perceived vb6, and seems to think c# == c == c++, giving that magic little letter 'c' serious power and rep.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Sure, and that's an important consderation; but he can always do what they did and say he's been working in a c# environment. :)

If he knows he can code in c# the next time he's going job hunting he can just refresh his memory before the interview; it shouldn't be too hard to change mindset. And he can always use c# for personal projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Earthhorse wrote: »
    If he knows he can code in c# the next time he's going job hunting he can just refresh his memory before the interview; it shouldn't be too hard to change mindset. And he can always use c# for personal projects.

I started looking to move into C# back in 2006, I drank ate and slept the stuff, but the day job was Delphi and couldn't get a look in anywhere. Finally last year I got a C# contract (vs2008, WCF, Entity Framework, LINQ) in another financial. Would have renewed only for this job came up, so while delighted to be out of financials, I'm pretty p1ssed that it's not what it said on the tin :mad:

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

OP, this sounds like a job that I turned down just before xmas. The job, which came to my attention through an agency, was aimed at the C# market but on interviewing, it was clear that there was very little C# in use in the company. I aimed to bring topics relating to C# into play during the technical interview to see what the story was on it but my attempts were snuffed out.

If I was in your shoes, I would give it a few months. No point in walking away, as it would leave a black mark on your CV.

You can use all of this (vs2008, WCF, Entity Framework, LINQ) with vb these days right? Language really doesn't matter that much. Daily rate matters :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I code in both, the difference -None whatsoever. came from a java background and started in VB.NET, then switched to c#, really nothing much in the difference, in fact VB.NET is a lot more relaxed in many ways.
    Using the VS editor, you don't have to declare keywords like dim etc, the IDE will put them in for you. Just thank the lord you aren't programming in Delphi or some other retarded language.

I find it hard to believe employers stress c# or vb.net in their adds, should just state .NET and leave it at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 johnsmith13

I work in a company where our core product is vb.net but when creating a new module it is our decision to write it in C# or VB.

I have found that by knowing VB i can easily write C# too.

Most of the times we choose VB but are have introduced a lot of C#, why dont you start writing new stuff in C#.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Just thank the lord you aren't programming in Delphi or some other retarded language.
    Delphi? Retarded?!? You are aware that the guy who designed c# was also the chief architect of Delphi before he was poached by Micro$oft?

Delphi? Retarded?!? You are aware that the guy who designed c# was also the chief architect of Delphi before he was poached by Micro$oft?

Designed c#? Java Clone.... Bit mad at Delphi, just inherited a collosal Delphi 7 app. Been using VS2010 and now having to use the D7 IDE is a right pain in the arse, I can honestly say I like nothing about Delphi, but that's personal taste, I'm not starting a debate. I'd also hate to have to go back to VB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Bit mad at Delphi, just inherited a collosal Delphi 7 app. Been using VS2010 and now having to use the D7 IDE is a right pain in the arse, I can honestly say I like nothing about Delphi, but that's personal taste, I'm not starting a debate. I'd also hate to have to go back to VB.

You have my sympathies. Delphi 7 was a fine IDE, back in 2002, the current version (XE2) is 16. It was an a very solid release and was much loved in Delphi circles for many years, given the low quality of some of the subsequent releases. Last few releases have been pretty good, and IDE would be much more VS like now (although some of the old hats still whine about it :rolleyes:)

Actually did a lot of good work in D7, not the standard component dropping carp :mad:, had a little ORM and a dependency injection framework going, but D7 lacked a lot of modern language features that in the end greatly frustrated me. Currently release is fantastic, can target Win32, 64, OS/X and IOS - have my own license just a pity no jobs in it.

Last job had a little D2009 (v12) in it, decent version, but the codebase (originally from D6 circa 2001) was pure muck, badly designed from the ground up and very poorly developed over the last 10+ years, glad to be away from that.

Not loving the VB stuff, C# (or good Delphi) is so much more elegant **IMO**

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭yawha

Article from 2002? lol!

yawha wrote: »
    Article from 2002? lol!

January 2002 C# Unveiled, why would an article from 2002 be out of place?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

January 2002 C# Unveiled, why would an article from 2002 be out of place?

What is the point of posting the article?

It's 10 years old, it's written in the context of the time. C# and .NET have had multiple evolving versions since then and particularly with the addition of Linq, has really changed pretty drastically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Designed c#? Java Clone.... Bit mad at Delphi, just inherited a collosal Delphi 7 app. Been using VS2010 and now having to use the D7 IDE is a right pain in the arse, I can honestly say I like nothing about Delphi, but that's personal taste, I'm not starting a debate. I'd also hate to have to go back to VB.

I'll hazard a guess and say that you're working for a software company as opposed to developing software in-house.

I'd gladly swap VS2005/2010 for D7 anyday. VS is now about 1gb+ of bloatware and a dog-slow IDE, all in order to develop for a proprietary platform. At least with the latest Delphi I can cross-compile native Win32, .net and Mac OS apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

If it's any consolation, I can only use VBA in my job. Would love the chance to use any .NET languages but no chance alas (am a business graduate 10+ years ago so not a technical background).

I did a Java course a while back but can never get past the technical speak part of an interview. Why don't they place more emphasis on doing things rather than talking about them in interviews? After all, if you don't know how to do something programatically do you not just google it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

anyone who says vb.net is inferior to c# really doesnt know what they are talking about. they both compile to the same IL.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

After all, if you don't know how to do something programatically do you not just google it?
    Well yes, but you need to be able to talk about it during the interview to demonstrate that you know exactly what needs to be googled :)

stevenmu wrote: »
    Well yes, but you need to be able to talk about it during the interview to demonstrate that you know exactly what needs to be googled :)

Haha, I'm starting to hate google, I believe it places all these holes in your knowledge of a subject, saying that I do make a lot of use of it.

Interviews, I've found ok mainly, I just flash my 1H, spout some generic dribble about why this is the job for me and give a little work history. Haven't really been asked to whiteboard anything at all other than some basic syntax crap and answer some OO stuff, which a first year would know.

First years might know how to write heapsort, but most of the rest of us have probably forgotten :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

neil_hosey wrote: »
    anyone who says vb.net is inferior to c# really doesnt know what they are talking about. they both compile to the same IL.

yield return a long running enumeration.

Giblet wrote: »
    yield return a long running enumeration.

Yield is just a C# language feature which gets compiled into simple IL code by the C# compiler, but definitely saves a bit of coding ^ ^.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You might as well just use Reflection.Emit for everything ;)

• Advertisement

neil_hosey wrote: »
    Um, everything eventually gets compiled to the same machine code eventually. What something gets intermediately compiled to has no bearing on anything.

Advertisement