Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job is VB.Net

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Righteo lads, almost 6 months later....

... and in that time I've worked on two code bases, both vb.net, one .net 2.0 (mostly a 1.1 conversion) and the other .net 1.1.

Can't see this going anywhere quickly, just bug fixes and feature requests on top of what is there... Time to start looking around again :(

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Trojan wrote: »
    Sounds like a bait and switch.

:)

The silver lining is you should get a pay rise when you move.

(And don't believe them when they tell you they'll put you on more interesting projects when they get your letter of resignation)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

dazberry wrote: »
    Righteo lads, almost 6 months later....

... and in that time I've worked on two code bases, both vb.net, one .net 2.0 (mostly a 1.1 conversion) and the other .net 1.1.

Can't see this going anywhere quickly, just bug fixes and feature requests on top of what is there... Time to start looking around again :(

D.

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

just bug fixes and feature requests on top of what is there...
    ...welcome to I.T.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Well yeah, but better to do bug fixes and features on top of a more up to date code base if you can help it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Could you update the code base to something more recent? Might be a nice little project for you if you're finding it easy.

Anyway, you gave it a shot and that's enough so if you're not feeling it then start looking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Trojan wrote: »
    :)
    The silver lining is you should get a pay rise when you move.

I'm on an okay daily rate (direct), I've no complaints in that regard. I made big bucks on a (direct) Delphi contract for a few years, but gave it up in the end as the technology was so out of demand I felt that I had to move on. Disappointed to be using old technologies again - don't need to be leading edge but want to be more relevant (and interesting).
    MagicRon wrote: »
    Where are you based?
    Dublin 8.
    ...welcome to I.T.
    Tell me about it. Did i mention that not long after I started the senior guy left, who was the only guy left after the mass exodus of '08. All then landed on my shoulders. Welcome to sh(I).T
    Well yeah, but better to do bug fixes and features on top of a more up to date code base if you can help it!
    I don't really like the code base as is. While there was efforts when it was originally written in the mid-90s to layer the code base, putting all your data access classes in a class library with data somewhere in the name does not a data access layer make. Apparently there used to be shouting matches about such things in the past /sigh/. I've struggled with poor encapsulation and some weird and unexpected state management. The design then seems to push a lot of logic back into the UI layer with never ending IF THEN ENDIFs, it makes vb.net look very bloated and verbose when in reality even C# on top of these class libraries would suffer the same faith.
    Earthhorse wrote: »
    Could you update the code base to something more recent? Might be a nice little project for you if you're finding it easy.
    Some work has been done but there are a couple of reasons we can't run with it at the moment. But that still leaves 1.1 era code and for instance a funky so called data access layer. My initial urge was to work off -radar and bring stuff back in, but I've enough of this stuff during the day to want to work on it in the evenings...

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

My initial urge was to work off -radar and bring stuff back in, but I've enough of this stuff during the day to want to work on it in the evenings...

I hear ya. At the start of the year I was dying to redesign one of the databases we use but knew I wouldn't get time for it during 9 to 5. It's somewhat easier to picture yourself doing these things than to come home after a day of programming and want to do more.

Advertisement