Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drying Out Car Carpet

• 16-02-2012 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

Over the last couple weeks I noticed that the flat part of the floor on the drivers and passengers side in the back of my car were soaked. I assumed water was somehow getting in from underneath and my mechanic found it was that water was getting into the boot and filling up in the area where the spare tyre is kept, then running under the back seat and onto the floors.

The leak seems to have been addressed now, but the floor is still wet enough.

Whats the best ways to dry it out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭puppetmaster

A hair Dryer, and some patience ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

Herrick wrote: »
    Over the last couple weeks I noticed that the flat part of the floor on the drivers and passengers side in the back of my car were soaked. I assumed water was somehow getting in from underneath and my mechanic found it was that water was getting into the boot and filling up in the area where the spare tyre is kept, then running under the back seat and onto the floors.

The leak seems to have been addressed now, but the floor is still wet enough.

Whats the best ways to dry it out?

now have same problem, what was best solution please ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Had a similar problem. Took out the mats and front carpets and dried them in the house separately. I put a small oil filled rad in the car for a day, on a low heat. All doors and windows shut except for space for the cable to come through. Car was in a garage too which helped. It was very toasty when I came back to it that evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭walus

Small fan heater will do a fine job. you can get these for 20 quid.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Go to your local hire shop and hire a small water vacuum (wet-vac) and use that to get the bulk of the water out, if not all of it out.
    Using only heaters to try dry out carpets creates condensation and dampness in other areas which can get into electrics and create other problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭JP 1800

The only way to do it properly is with a wet vac, you will also need to get under the carpet to remove all the water as it will still remain in the sound proofing. Failure to remove the water can cause the floors to rot out. This is the biggest cause for classic cars to have rotten floor pans.

Advertisement