Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a medical for WHV

Options
  • 16-02-2012 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm a primary school teacher so thinking I may need a medical for WHV. Spoke to a man from VisaFirst on the phone and he say I would only need a medical if working with under 6s so not sure if I'll need one. He didn't seem too sure. Anyway, If I need one , I'm wondering how long it all takes. Read about a new electronic processing system called ehealth that processes it in 48hrs but then also heard it takes 4-6 weeks.

The application form asks 'Do you intend to work, or be a trainee, at a child care centre (including preschools and creches) while in Australia? and Do you intend to be in a classroom situation for more than 3 months (eg. as either a student, teacher, lecturer, or observer)? Could I answer no to these and then decide to work as a teacher and get the relevant medical checks while I'm over there?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Have a read of this
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67389599#post67389599
    Could I answer no to these and then decide to work as a teacher and get the relevant medical checks while I'm over there?
    I think you can, you will need medical and character checks to work as a teacher - The character check will be a lot easier to get from Ireland however

Also if you have not bought your WHV yet - it's just as easy and cheaper to do it yourself here: http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/apply-online.htm

I have two teacher friends one sent the other what she needed before she came over to Australia - I can ask her to send on the email and I'll post it here - might take a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

jb82 wrote: »
    The application form asks 'Do you intend to work, or be a trainee, at a child care centre (including preschools and creches) while in Australia? and Do you intend to be in a classroom situation for more than 3 months (eg. as either a student, teacher, lecturer, or observer)? Could I answer no to these and then decide to work as a teacher and get the relevant medical checks while I'm over there?

My girlfriend answered no to this as so only intended to do some casual work and travel (and got the WHV with no health check) but we decided to stay in melbourne so she then registered to teach in Victoria with no problems.
    IF you are only doing CRT then you could answer no but if you intend on trying to get a full time job then i would answer yes as you will need to change visa (maybe sponsorship) to work for a full school year and will have to do it here anyway for the sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jb82

Yeah, that'd be great Hussey.:)

Hasmunch, do you know if she said she would be teaching when asked 'what type of employment do you intend to seek during your stay?' I might respond 'no' to the app form questions I stated in the OP but wondering if putting teaching as the employment I'd be seeking may complicate things.

Thanks for the help!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

I cannot remember but i think she may have put barwork as she has lots of experience in this too.
    She had planned to do this but we changed our minds.

Like i said it depends on weather you intend on getting a full time job or doing casual relief teaching.
    If you are on a WHV casual relief teaching is easy enough to get if you are willing to go to different schools most days (in Melbourne anyway)
    My girlfriend has done all this so if you have any questions i can probably answer them.

Edit: Also if you do intend to teach at all i would recommend looking into registering to teach in the state you intend to live in. You will have to do this for each state unfortunately. You need an Irish Garda check and get all your documents copied and certified (degree and transcript of college results) .
    Its much easier to have the process started even if you dont apply before you leave. Garda check can take a while and its better to have collated all required information before you go. Getting transcripts of your results can be a pain in the arse sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

here is the response from my friend, note my friend said that she did not get any medical done.
    Before leaving on my travels I competed an applicaton form with Teach.NSW online at https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/. This is the exact link https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/eat3/welcome.do I also had to send a copy of this application form off along with a

~passport photo,
    ~a declaration by 2 referees (your Principal could be one),
    ~two forms of proof of identity (I used my full birth cert and a recent bank statement),
    ~evidence of my visa
    ~evidence of my employment (school contract and General Inspection Report)
    ~a copy of my B.Ed certificate
    ~confirmation of registration with The Teaching Council of Ireland
    ~full academic transcripts of degrees, teaching practice details and other qualifications (if you ring up your college they should be able to send you these)

I sent all this to them at Teach.NSW, Locked Bag 3020, Blacktown, NSW 2148.

Just remember to have any photocopied documents or certificates stamped and dated by a Garda or solicitor as this is what they mean by certified by a 'Justice of the Peace' for us here in Ireland.

They will then list you with Casual Direct which is a type of agency for teachers in NSW, however, I only received about two calls from them. I joined another agency when I arrived called Randstad Education (www.randstad.com.au). Once Teach.NSW have approved you, they are happy and will just conduct a short (informal) interview with you when you arrive and they will ask you for 2 passport photos. They will take a few days to verify your qualifications with Teach NSW. You usually receive calls in the evening or very early in the morning and they try to send you to public schools close to where you live (Buy a Sydney Street Directory when you get here, it saves alot of hassle and getting lost!). Also remember the sch hols here are from mid Dec to end of Jan so Feb can be a bit quiet...

When I started to work in Sydney I discovered that there is a separate application system for Catholic Schools so you may have time to get that sorted before you go if you're interested in teaching in these - it takes much longer, approx. 6 weeks. I'm sorry I have no web/email address for this particular application form. I did it but never taught as I got enough work in the Public Schools. If you have schools in your neighbourhood you could also drop your CV into them as it would be a huge transport saving-I got a year long block in a school five mins from my house!

Just to let you know, you are only qualified to teach in the state of New South Wales by completing the Teach.NSW application form - if you decide to move to Melbourne, Perth, Cairns etc, it is different to Ireland in that each state had a separate vetting system.

Hope all this helps...If you do have any questions then def just email me again! It seems like alot of work but it's not too bad once you break it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 jb82

Cool, thank ye for the help. Not sure if I'll be teaching so may not include it. Doesn't look like not getting a medical will hinder my chances if I decide later that I want to teach.

Advertisement