Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Began On Land?

Options
  • 16-02-2012 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

Anthony Keidis once sang, "Far away you were made in a sea, just like me". Turns out the Red Hot Chili Peppers might have gotten that one wrong.
    The concept, based on the latest cellular and geologic research, resembles a suggestion by famed naturalist Charles Darwin that life could have sprung from a "warm little pond" rich in nutrients.

Read more here.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Interesting development, in that the prevailing orthodoxy had favoured the sea. Given that early life would have been better incubated in a stable environment, and that the oceans were always a fairly stead eco-system I could see why they were favoured.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tides were a lot worse back then, moon was a lot closer and days were shorter , so more mixing. Also less biomass to prevent runoff so on land more flash floods.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

At this point, I'm convinced that life could have arised pretty much anywhere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Adam Khor wrote: »
    At this point, I'm convinced that life could have arised pretty much anywhere.
    Anyone got a complete list of where it could plausibly formed ?

Warm pools
    Black Smokers
    On minerals
    in outer space
    on another planet and ejected by a meteorite

energy sources
    UV , lightening , chemicals , thermal

I like the idea of RNA acting as both enzymes and genes :)
    "For cells to synthesize proteins—their molecular machines—they need a lot of potassium. Sodium blocks these activities," said study co-author Armen Mulkidjanian, a biophysicist at the University of Osnabrück in Germany.

"Life cannot live without synthesizing proteins, so it must keep potassium high."

There is no reason why later life didn't out-evolve earlier forms that didn't use DNA / proteins, an oxygen rich atmosphere would have wiped out most traces.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Anyone got a complete list of where it could plausibly formed ?

Warm pools
    Black Smokers
    On minerals
    in outer space
    on another planet and ejected by a meteorite

energy sources
    UV , lightening , chemicals , thermal

I like the idea of RNA acting as both enzymes and genes :)

There is no reason why later life didn't out-evolve earlier forms that didn't use DNA / proteins, an oxygen rich atmosphere would have wiped out most traces.

I've read that some animals such as tardigrades can survive the vacuum of space for several days. I imagine (and I say imagine) that there may be other creatures that may be able to live their entire lives in space and eventually reach different worlds and adapt to them... you know, somehow. :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement