Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have a great idea, but not sure where to start from..

Options
  • 16-02-2012 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hey guys..

I conceived a great idea the other day whilst working on a design project (I'm a Graphic Designer) and I was wondering what would need to be done to get it started?

The idea would require the co-operation of Facebook to execute it. All I'll say for now that it would be a plugin of sorts, that would be very beneficial to those in the age range of 18-40 year olds.

I've not seen something like this before, and I've asked lots of people what they think of the idea, and they think it's brilliant.

I'm not very business minded, however I'm extremely creative, hence the idea. I know software developers who'd be more than interested to start a project who own their own business, to help me to create this plugin. What steps need to be taken in order to meet with Facebook executives? If they liked the idea, would they work with me to develop it? or would they just tell me to take a hike?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭gremha

Hi,

I doubt they'd work with you. They own the platform & that's what they do, if it's something that can be monatised, I'd say they'll charge you a percentage to allow it on, if it can't be, then they'll let it on if it complies with their security.

Don't know how true it is, but I heard they make 35% of every real cash transaction on the platform just to allow it on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Are you sure you need Facebook's co-operation?

They have a third-party application plug-in architecture now that allows games and other applications to be hosted within Facebook, and to gain access to a lot of per-user facebook information, so if it can be implemented within the scope of that, you can just find a developer and go ahead and do it without having to get Facebook (the company) to explicitly come onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭going un-reg

Tenshot wrote: »
    Are you sure you need Facebook's co-operation?

They have a third-party application plug-in architecture now that allows games and other applications to be hosted within Facebook, and to gain access to a lot of per-user facebook information, so if it can be implemented within the scope of that, you can just find a developer and go ahead and do it without having to get Facebook (the company) to explicitly come onboard.

That's interesting, thanks for that info.

Part of me thought that perhaps if I did approach them, they'd just take the idea for themselves, and give me the middle finger.

I'm not sure how patents/copyrighting works in this scenario. Perhaps I should do my homework in that department.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭YouBuyLocal

Hey guys..

I conceived a great idea the other day whilst working on a design project (I'm a Graphic Designer) and I was wondering what would need to be done to get it started?

The idea would require the co-operation of Facebook to execute it. All I'll say for now that it would be a plugin of sorts, that would be very beneficial to those in the age range of 18-40 year olds.

I've not seen something like this before, and I've asked lots of people what they think of the idea, and they think it's brilliant.

I'm not very business minded, however I'm extremely creative, hence the idea. I know software developers who'd be more than interested to start a project who own their own business, to help me to create this plugin. What steps need to be taken in order to meet with Facebook executives? If they liked the idea, would they work with me to develop it? or would they just tell me to take a hike?

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you :)

No offense, but you seem to know absolutely nothing about facebook app development. Nobody gets their "cooperation"!?! You don't go to Mark Zuckerburg and say "Hey! I really think this could help your business, we should partner!" They have opened up their app infrastructure to allow you to do this. I don't know what the app is but you will probably need good developers and very strong virality built into it to encourage the uptake from users.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

You're going about it the right way... trying to find out what's involved. There are loads of developers out there for facebook apps - try and find out the stories of some successful apps, how the team was brought together, how they built their app and got funded.

Ideas are ten a penny, the real challenges are technology and finance. But don't let that put you off - get stuck in!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I'm not sure how patents/copyrighting works in this scenario. Perhaps I should do my homework in that department.
    I think the first thing you need to do is find out what is involved in Facebook apps from a basic technical level and the commercial options that are open to you through Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

I like you idea, I see big success, You give me job, You give me job noooooooooooooow

Best of Luck with it OP!!

No offense, but you seem to know absolutely nothing about facebook app development. Nobody gets their "cooperation"!?! You don't go to Mark Zuckerburg and say "Hey! I really think this could help your business, we should partner!" They have opened up their app infrastructure to allow you to do this. I don't know what the app is but you will probably need good developers and very strong virality built into it to encourage the uptake from users.

Guess what? That's why I'm asking for advice. If I knew more about this, I'd not be asking for information on it.

I think the first thing you need to do is find out what is involved in Facebook apps from a basic technical level and the commercial options that are open to you through Facebook.

Good idea, I'll ask the software developers if they have any knowledge in this area, knowing what the baseline requirements are to set up the software etc..

Advertisement