Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scratchcards

• 16-02-2012 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here ever won big money on them. I havent won more than a tenner on them and dont know anyone who has. Are they just a big scam?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

No, no... It's just a big scam. Selective printing. Portion control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

I think so. Work in a supermarket with a lotto desk and the most money I've ever given out was €25. Never seen any higher than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I won 50 once.My Grandad won 250 about 4 or 5 years ago at Christmas.That is the biggest i ever heard anyone winning.

You'll win a whole lot of tenners, if even. Few fifties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

All I ever got from a scratchcard was a dirty fingernail and a crushed dream....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Scrathcards are a load of my arse! The idea behind it really boggles my mind. Why do people do it!

Also, you always hear "Well won €50 on one once so you DO win money on them".

Er... yeah. But that makes you the kind of person who buys scratchcards, so you've obviously spent over €50 on them on the past. You've actually lost money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

They are just a stealth tax on people who are bad at math.

My mam has won 250 on it a couple of times though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 BeerDrinker

I would agree with 'Portion control' above being the best answer to describe them.

I have heard legally they are meant to produce 'X' amount of prizes for 'X' amount of cards sold whilst obviously allowing a profit. But being honest I dont hold much faith in them following the rules.

Simple answer is: maths game. you print up 50,000 tickets at a cost of €1 each. But the total amount of prizes amounts to, say €20,000. Profit city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That TV thing with Marty Whelan is fake. I never heard of any real person going on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I won 10 grand off one once.

• Advertisement

"1 in 8 of these cards reveals a prize"

Oh look, I bought the 1 winner of the 8. Let's see what I won..........

A free scratchcard :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

MrStuffins wrote: »
    "1 in 8 of these cards reveals a prize"

Oh look, I bought the 1 winner of the 8. Let's see what I won..........

A free scratchcard :rolleyes:

It actually say's "Cash prize"

Why are you happy at having won a tenner at your eleventh attempt, nan.

That kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I won 10 grand off one once.
    You did my bollix.

It actually say's "Cash prize"

I wouldn't know having never been stupid enough to throw my money away on one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Worked in a supermarket during summer hols in late 90s... was covering the till when a local woman came in and asked for fags and two scratch cards, paid and headed off... she ran into the shop about 3/4 mins later and ran over to me and nearly hopped over the counter to hug me...

I didnt know what was going on... but she was in floods of tears and showed me that she had won 10,000 (pounds/punts) on one of the cards!

I and the rest of the staff remember being chuffed at the time cause she was a regular customer who always looked like she was down on her luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

You're losing the minute you buy one.

Play poker instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

My father won 500 pounds/euros about 10 years ago. The shopkeeper looked at him as if he had 2 heads. Went to Dublin to collect the money, big rigmarole checking the ticket etc.
    Convinced us it was a rare occurence to ever win so we stopped buying them.

On a side note, ever notice how it's always the miserable feckers who always buy them?

busted into a shop when young well actually another guy did, upstairs was a squat n he tore up the floor n it was out of order

But we sat in the park after, must have scratchd hudreds of those things n won very little. In fact we got bored n deemed em most useless of all the plunder, left sheets of em - that's potential money regardless particularly when that young but after what we'd been through we forsaw not much.

LH Pathe wrote: »
    busted into a shop when young well actually another guy did, upstairs was a squat n he tore up the floor n it was out of order

But we sat in the park after, must have scratchd hudreds of those things n won very little. In fact we got bored n deemed em most useless of all the plunder, left sheets of em - that's potential money regardless particularly when that young but after what we'd been through we forsaw not much.

Yeah, it's happened to us all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

I have personally seen a €25,000 winning ticket.

It wasn't mine.:(:(:rolleyes:

Silly bitch had nothing to show for it when it was gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Neighbour won 25k on a bingo scratch card, lucky bitch also appeared on winning streak and won a fair few bob on that

I buy a bingo card every payday and win most weeks, it could be 5, 10 or as little as 4 quid but won 100 once :D

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Yeah, it's happened to us all!

well it very much happened to me :( I was the real victim under the influence of that.. sheepskin bombered beatnik n the shopkeeper folded after that. think he was just dismayed by breach of trust

but it's a good example you'd be lucky to win anything on those n obviously the more, the luckier

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

Scratchcards, a fools lottery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Scratchcards, a fools lottery.

Eh.... the lottery is a fool's lottery isn't it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭MickySticks

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Eh.... the lottery is a fool's lottery isn't it?
    Is it? I don't know, I'm stupid sure. I buy 10 scratchcards a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

A cousin of mine has one 2000 and 5000 on separate occasions from scratchcards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

A cousin of mine loves Joe Dolan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I won a BMW z3 on one of those free scratchcards that fall out of the Sunday world. Honest! No wait, Actually they were just lying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I've only ever bought one and I won 20quid on it so left it at that. An all cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I never buy them, but I did win 25Euro on a birthday one. But till I seen this thread I never heard of anyone winning decent on them.

I regard them and the lotto as a tax on the stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Won €1000 on a €1 scratchcard which i bought after winning €5 with 3 no on the lotto, It was my 1st and only time doing the lotto.

The National lottery is a scam by the Government so they can go out to Sports fields etc and get their photos taken as if they gave the money personally, then the community will go out in droves to vote for that politician telling everyone how wonderful he/she is

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Raditub

ten pounds i think..haha deffo spent more on them like! But sher its a bit of fun! I enjoy em! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

cosanostra wrote: »
    Won €1000 on a €1 scratchcard which i bought after winning €5 with 3 no on the lotto, It was my 1st and only time doing the lotto.

The National lottery is a scam by the Government so they can go out to Sports fields etc and get their photos taken as if they gave the money personally, then the community will go out in droves to vote for that politician telling everyone how wonderful he/she is

And there you have it, succinctly put, great post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Won 25 last week with the card I got from getting 3 numbers in the bonus lotto draw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement