Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for lower grade jobs?

Options
  • 16-02-2012 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all

I work for a large multinational financial services company in Ireland. In the office I work in there is a situation where one business unit is moving out (to Dublin and Poland), and remaining staff are to apply for roles int he growing business unit.

my conundrum, should I apply for a job that is at a grade lower than mine just to keep a job?

I hear senior mgmt encouraging staff to apply for as many jobs as possible in the growing business unit, even roles at grades lower than what staff are on (e.g. a manager to apply for an assistant manager role).

Any advice?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you qualifiy for redundancy if you don't get a job? How many years?

What do you want to achieve - is having a job, any job, important to you? Or do you think you can get a good-enough job elsewhere without too much stress?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭emy50

Should qualify for redundancy alright - it might ease the situation to - 8 years service should bring something in.
    Going down a level would be demoralizing - I'm sure I can get a good job elsewhere too, but lumbered with a mortgage too.
    Its a tough one.

Does it sound like an act of desperation going for lower grade jobs just to stick around?

emy50 wrote: »
    Does it sound like an act of desperation going for lower grade jobs just to stick around?

In the current climate, and given that you have a mortage, then no it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭emy50

good point, I'd better swallow my pride. The management are all legacy AIB people, so it makes it harder.

Just keep remembering, it's a lot easier to find a job if you already have one.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

If you have to apply for the other job does this not mean you get redundancy anyway? As there must be an offer of employment?

castie wrote: »
    If you have to apply for the other job does this not mean you get redundancy anyway? As there must be an offer of employment?

No, it does not.

You get redundancy, or another suitable job. Not both.

Some companies have the concept of equalisation: you get to keep the salary difference, sometimes for a fixed term, sometimes forever. I don't know if it happens in thsi country or not. But when it does happen, it can cause a lot of problems when new colleagues find out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

JustMary wrote: »
    No, it does not.

You get redundancy, or another suitable job. Not both.

Some companies have the concept of equalisation: you get to keep the salary difference, sometimes for a fixed term, sometimes forever. I don't know if it happens in thsi country or not. But when it does happen, it can cause a lot of problems when new colleagues find out.

From citizensinformation.ie
    If your employer makes you a reasonable offer of alternative work, and you refuse it, you may lose your entitlement to a redundancy payment. Generally speaking, alternatives which involve a loss of status or worsening of the terms and conditions of your employment would not be considered reasonable.

My point as mentioned above is there is no offer of alternative employment here. There is an offer to apply for a job which is not the same.

Last company I worked for made a department redundant and one of the managers applied for a job in a different department. He got it and also got his redundancy. Job was of similar status.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

castie wrote: »

Last company I worked for made a department redundant and one of the managers applied for a job in a different department. He got it and also got his redundancy. Job was of similar status.

This is actually illegal ,part of your redundancy is paid via a tax rebate from the state and the tax calculation on redundancy is different from salary.As this would leave the state open to multiple counts of fraud/tax avoidance in remunerating employees it is not allowed.Now he might have got a settlement but if it was redundancy he owes the tax man a fairly substantial sum

Advertisement