Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove smell of cat urine

• 16-02-2012 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

One of my kitties did a little wee on our couch yesterday eve. I blotted it up with paper towel straight away.. My family are away and I would be shot if they find out :-/ they are back today... How can I get rid of the smell without them finding out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Is it a male or female kitty? If its a male, or kitten starting to hit puberty, the pee will absolutely stink. You wouldnt mistake tom cat wee for anything else! If anyone sprays or pees in my house I use a product called pet odour remover, I bought it in Petmania, after its dried I then spray with febreeze spray, and use some air freshener too. It can be a tricky smell to remove, best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Is it a male or female kitty? If its a male, or kitten starting to hit puberty, the pee will absolutely stink. You wouldnt mistake tom cat wee for anything else! If anyone sprays or pees in my house I use a product called pet odour remover, I bought it in Petmania, after its dried I then spray with febreeze spray, and use some air freshener too. It can be a tricky smell to remove, best of luck!

It's a female! There's a petmania bout 30mins away from me, might head there when it's open! Silly kitty if only she did it on mon there would be loads of time to sort it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Well the good news there is the female smell is a lot easier to lift than the males :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

A vinegar solution should do it, dab it in and wipe off. Bit of Febreeze afterwards and you're grand. Just be glad its not tom cat urine....bane of my life at the minute :( with 2 toms hanging around my place. Both are getting the snip soon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

If you have washing gel (not powder) mix with a little water and wash the patch, it works brilliantly on cat urine (even the males)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Nothing will cover up the smell of cat pee, you need to remove it totally from the area. Bio washing detergent is your best friend (must be biological, the enzymes are key)! Dilute it in some warm water (doesn't matter if if is liquid or powder) and wash down the area, rinse and repeat. This should get rid of the smell totally.

If it has soaked into the cushion, take the cover off (if you can) and wash it separately and wash the stuffing with the washing detergent mix and dry it really well (up against a radiator or something similar).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Zippo2

*Sparkle* wrote: »
    One of my kitties did a little wee on our couch yesterday eve. I blotted it up with paper towel straight away.. My family are away and I would be shot if they find out :-/ they are back today... How can I get rid of the smell without them finding out?

:)

Odors are an ongoing problem for pet owners, candles and sprays are temporary fix’s which have to be replaced. Ionizers and Ozone generators are effective but require cleaning and filter replacement. I have used both to combat the odor problem from my cat Zippo. I have resolved the problem with a product named air-renu that you mix with paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭angry kitten

I ordered a product called Urine Off, it claims to be vet recommended and designed for the purpose as well as and a UV torch for my brother as his cats have been spraying everywhere. Had to get in from Uk so am not sure if they sell it here. Apparently the Uv light shows up where they've been spraying, its a nightmare if you can't find the spot. Little madame points her bottom at everything. She was neutered last year but the un-neutered Toms haven't realised yet and are still coming into the garden, so she's marking everything.

Advertisement