Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interviews - tell current boss?

Options
  • 16-02-2012 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Should you tell your boss that you need time off for an interview?
    I did, but I have read all over the internet that it's a bad idea. If I can avoid it I will but this time I had to go during work hours. I am trying to get into a specific area and my boss knows this already.
    He seems a bit miffed if I have an interview, but would never say no you can't go. Also, I am public service, so it's not like my line manager can frog march me to the door and make me leave. The main manager, above everyone in the area, has been delighted to be my reference and supports what I want to do in the future.
    So do you think it's ok? I am wary about lying in case I get caught out or in case my boss refuses a half day when I have given a not so urgent excuse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Say you have a dentist appointment or something like that. There's nothing to be gained by being too honest in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you're female, an appointment at the gynaecology clinic often works well too - no one will ever ask for details :D

(Exception: if your boss is a woman of a certain age who may have had such appointments herself.)

I do think that the "don't tell" rule is a good one, though it can be relaxed in some circumstances like yours. That said, the immediate boss is probably miffed 'cos if you get the job, he'll have work to do to replace you, while his manager just looks like he's supporting career progression for the staff.

Advertisement