Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sexism in advertising......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

smash wrote: »
    Remember the black and white Lacoste ad where you saw a man's bare ass? Well that was pulled from RTE a few years ago over 2 complaints.

I don't - I don't really watch RTE it has to be said...

Pulling an ad over 2 complaints is just crazy - in a population of 4mil+ there's got to be at least 2 people that write in to complain about everything and anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Katgurl wrote: »
    yes but if I heard my boss saying to clients -

this is katgurl, check out the rack on her

not

she's great at what she does

I'd be pretty f&&king pi$$ed off yes.
    Would it be true though?

JK. But that's not what O'Leary is saying. He said red hot staff! That's a compliment surely?

And regardless - what about the other staff that are male / older / whatever??? They might be the best and hardest working staff in ryanair and they are being overlooked.
    That's not true. Even if they showed some staff just walking up the isle of a plane they'd still pick the good looking ones! Would that still offend the ugly ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Remember the black and white Lacoste ad where you saw a man's bare ass? Well that was pulled from RTE a few years ago over 2 complaints.

And as we all know, two complaints means exactly 200 billion people were offended by this.

Pulling an ad over 2 complaints is just crazy - in a population of 4mil+ there's got to be at least 2 people that write in to complain about everything and anything...

To make it worse. There were hundreds of complaints about the RSA "He Drives, she dies" coampaign and it wasn't pulled because they said the RSA had stats to back it up. They did... they had skewed stats and a really really misleading punchline for the ad. :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

a charity calendar is different to advertising your companies services

The picture in question was one from a Charity calendar, re-used in an advertising capacity.

But that shouldn't matter as you said your problem is the fact the girl (and other girls) are being used for their looks and it is demeaning to all other Cabin Crew.

Are you telling me that this is the same with the Firefighters? is it different somehow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Haha care to support this "theory" you really love the fairer sex dont you ?

I could counter any man who complains about the david beckham add is a jealous small ..... Aww dosnt matter im better than that .

When was the last time you complained that he was being objectified? Or any man for that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

MrStuffins wrote: »
    The picture in question was one from a Charity calendar, re-used in an advertising capacity.

But that shouldn't matter as you said your problem is the fact the girl (and other girls) are being used for their looks and it is demeaning to all other Cabin Crew.

Are you telling me that this is the same with the Firefighters? is it different somehow?

It was the way in which it was used to advertise the services - 'Red Hot Crew', implying that all cabin crew look like this and were hired for their looks. That there is nothing more to their jobs than that.

A charity calendar for the firefighters is not selling their services - they are different things. The same as the ryanair charity calendar was not selling their services - it was just a calendar. But if an image was pulled from the charity firefighters calendar and used in an ad to imply that is what you get everytime you call then it would be the same.

Its not the girl in the bikini that is the problem - it is the implication that cabin crew are there for looks alone. The david beckham add is different - he is modelling underwear so it has to be a shot of him in his underwear. There are plenty of M&S adds of women in skimpy lingerie that are not complained about because they are selling lingerie so it is appropriate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Using pictures of scantily clad firemen to shift charity calenders is clearly not the same as using pictures of scantily clad cabin crew to try to shift tickets on ryan air planes with the lure of seeing such cabin crew...I'm presuming the fireman's calenders don't send a message to pyromaniacs to light more, look at the red hot totty you'll get puting out your fire?

I could counter any man who complains about the david beckham add is a jealous small ..... Aww dosnt matter im better than that .

Apparently you're not, because you just said it. And a statement like that is a more than just being sexist. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

There's a new Bounty ad where Juan Sheet turns up to clean up spills and shake his ass and as he does so, women stand behind him and check him out.

Can you imagine if that was a woman? There's be bras burning all over the shop!

Lol - Juan Sheet - I'm convinved that's Nicolas Cage :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Maybe I'm not being clear, I've no problem with the calendar I even suggested one with my last place when we were in start-up mode.

But if a client was told katgurl will be looking after your account and photo enclosed - I'd consider sueing my employer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

O'Leary trolling again.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Men don't complain, because tbh, we couldn't care less about men be objectified!

As said before, sex sells.

I find it amazing that is only takes 17 complaints to get an ad removed(albeit in the UK, only take 2 here!!)! If that is the case, I'm pretty sure any ad could be removed, as IMO, most ads on TV etc objectify some sex. 17 is a really low number, and most people would have no problem getting 17 people to complain about an ad(through friends/family/facebook/twitter ect). I could probably make 17 random complaints myself!!

Just face it, some women are just pissed off when the see another woman who is better looking than them...

Well you know, if these complaints were made from the Cabin Crew themselves, that would make more sense.

But I honestly don't think it was Cabin Crew who made the complaints.

But if a client was told katgurl will be looking after your account and photo enclosed - I'd consider sueing my employer.

You're missing the point here. You do not get a free photo of an air hostess with every ticket you buy. An air hostess will not be looking after any account you have with ryanair either. In fact, the chances of you ever seeing one of these staff members on a flight is tiny. He also did not start sending the photos out to customers or clients without permission, and that's how you're looking at it.

They were asked to do a publicity job, and they accepted it and enjoyed it and got paid for it.

Men don't complain, because tbh, we couldn't care less about men be objectified!

Just face it, some women are just pissed off when the see another woman who is better looking than them...

ah yes that old chestnut again, at least you said some women, not all women.

There will always be better looking women in the world. It's a fact of life.

Chestnut? Do you mean to imply that this is some sort of myth?

Surely you recognise that this is a genuine phenomenon?

I'm surprised O'Leary doesn't have a TV3 show yet... X-factor style, where the public decide who the sexiest staff are for their next year's calendar!

Michael, give me a call and I'll sell you my idea!

I'm surprised O'Leary doesn't have a TV3 show yet... X-factor style, where the public decide who the sexiest staff are for their next year's calendar!

Great idea!!

I tweet one of the producers on TV3 :D

• Advertisement

Make sure when you sell it to him you agree a fee, let's say, €10,000.

Then when he goes to pay, you tell him you have to add on taxes, government levies, transaction fees, traction fees, Janet Jackson fees and a service charge and the real total is €18,492

Chestnut? Do you mean to imply that this is some sort of myth?

Surely you recognise that this is a genuine phenomenon?

it doesn't apply to me or my friends

Make sure when you sell it to him you agree a fee, let's say, €10,000.

Then when he goes to pay, you tell him you have to add on taxes, government levies, transaction fees, traction fees, Janet Jackson fees and a service charge and the real total is €18,492

Don't forget to ad on a hefty fee if the money is delivered in bag!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That Muller yogurt ad in the muddy field - guy is gormless and the girls are manipulative bitches. Well done advertising exec gimp.

it doesn't apply to me or my friends

That's not what I asked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

Using pictures of scantily clad firemen to shift charity calenders is clearly not the same as using pictures of scantily clad cabin crew to try to shift tickets on ryan air planes with the lure of seeing such cabin crew...I'm presuming the fireman's calenders don't send a message to pyromaniacs to light more, look at the red hot totty you'll get puting out your fire?

Agreed they are entirely different things.
    Doubt anyone really thinks theyl see a stewardess in a bikini on a ryanair flight though, id say the pic was more just to drag the readers eye to the ad.
    Loads of ads will use attractive people in them because thats what the human brain responds to. Often times it will be an ad aimed at women using a female model, or an ad aimed at men using a male model. Overall the tendency tends to be towards female models - presumably overall that gets the most reaction from both sexes aggregated.

I wouldnt be surprised if the complaints were made by michael o leary himself btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Whadda bout those baby adverts which always shows just the mother alone being all loving and doting while the father, in their rare appearances, are bumbling idiots.

:pac:

summerskin wrote: »
    funny how the diet coke ads featuring men stripping to the waist on a "diet coke break" while women ogled him and made suggestive comments were never pulled for being sexist....

My point exactly!

We women are far too sensitive at times.
    What's the "we" about? I don't give a fuk about women getting their kits off for ads. Oh using the Diet Coke ad from 15 years ago to demonstrate the double standard - that is SO original and hasn't been done to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Haven't read the entire thread, maybe it was already mentioned

He drives, she dies
    Fook you Road Safety Authority

Oh sure there were able to pull some stats to back this up.

Pic
    Here we have a young girl as pale as a corpse
    And a good looking young lad, cooly dressed and unshaven looking like he's out for some fun
    Could they have made it any more biased?
    And pic two with the same models

Would we ever see a campaign for dangerous parking outside schools? Parking on footpaths.
    And children and indeed many adults cannot see over an SUV so it's dangerous
    "Bad parking by mothers outside schools kills children"
    Hah, we'll never see that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Sexism only matters when it's aimed at women.
    Moany fúcks.

Katgurl you still didn't acknowledge this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77119688&postcount=116

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Dudess wrote: »
    That Muller yogurt ad in the muddy field - guy is gormless and the girls are manipulative bitches. Well done advertising exec gimp.

If ad execs were to be believed all men are rapists, bad drivers, incapable of using household appliances or minding kids, terrible at buying presents and all the other hilarious stuff we supposedly cant do. Dont take advertising seriously and life is much easier

krudler wrote: »
    If ad execs were to be believed all men are rapists, bad drivers, incapable of using household appliances or minding kids, terrible at buying presents and all the other hilarious stuff we supposedly cant do. Dont take advertising seriously and life is much easier

If people didn't take advertising seriously, then sales of Lynx would plumet right through the floor.

let's face it, people don't wear Lynx because it smells good. They wear it because in the ads it's a chick magnet. (Also, other people use Lynx because they are 13 year old boys)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Lol - Juan Sheet - I'm convinved that's Nicolas Cage :

Do they not realise that in this imaginary Cagealike's accent 'one sheet' sounds like what you might need to be mopping up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If people didn't take advertising seriously, then sales of Lynx would plumet right through the floor.

let's face it, people don't wear Lynx because it smells good. They wear it because in the ads it's a chick magnet. (Also, other people use Lynx because they are 13 year old boys)

Yeah lynx is like budweiser, for teens who dont know any better yet :pac:

Apparently you're not, because you just said it. And a statement like that is a more than just being sexist. :rolleyes:

Actually i didnt how is that being sexist ? According too many of the posters on this thread any woman who complains about a woman in a add is jealous of the girls looks ?
    Yet many posters want ads of david beckham and the ilk to be complained about of the basis they are sexist ? Or are the men who complain /offended are they just jealous they dont look like him ?

Cant have it both way lads
    girls complain about ads - jealous mingers
    men complain about ads-jealous mingers
    ?

Actually i didnt how is that being sexist ? According too many of the posters on this thread any woman who complains about a woman in a add is jealous of the girls looks ?
    Yet many posters want ads of david beckham and the ilk to be complained about of the basis they are sexist ? Or are the men who complain /offended are they just jealous they dont look like him ?

?

Nobody has said they want ads with David Beckham in them complained about, rather why don't women complain that men are being objectified if they care so much about sexism?

Nobody said that.

But a lot of complaints of this nature stem from the insecurities of the complainant. I'm sure you'd agree. I haven't seen anybody deny that this is the case.

You seem to have misunderstood. I don't think anyone want the Becks ads complained about (if they did, they'd complain themselves). The point was, Becks is used as a sex object too. But why do girls only complain when the sex object is a girl? Guys don't complain about other guys being used to sell through sex.

It's a double standard.
    ?

Nope. You've misunderstood I think!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

mod:
    Crooked Jack banned. Few infractions doled out.
    Please continue to report any posts.

Well that's partially true, the other part is that women who complain see it as women being objectified because it's not product related. What you did, was attack the manhood or supposed physical inadequacy of people who have complained!
    Any man complaining about these campaigns is an idiot. It's an underwear campaign, advertising underwear!
    ?
    As I said above, it depends on the context of the advertisement.

Smash, saying a guy who complains about a Beckham ad must be jealous and have a small penis is sexist?
    But it's ok to say women who complain about sexy women ads must be fat and unsightly?
    It's obviously the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭hardbackwriter

summerskin wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0215/ryanair.html

I don't if anyone saw this story but basically Ryanair have had to pull one of their ads because there were lots of complaints to the affect that it was sexist and offensive to women.

Do you agree that women are objectified or are some of us just overly sensitive and/or feministic?

I personally think that this was something of an over-reaction. We all know that sex sells and there is never any problem with objectiying men in the media e.g. in Calvin Klein underwear ads or ads for mens scents yet when women are portrayed in a sexual manner there is uproar.

I remember those Hunky Dory ads where the models were supposed to be rugby players but looked more like underwear models and not once did I, as a woman, feel offended or objectified.

But that's just me.

funny how the diet coke ads featuring men stripping to the waist on a "diet coke break" while women ogled him and made suggestive comments were never pulled for being sexist....

that's because men don't register on any list of groups with officially recognised grievances by the liberals who measure theese things , thier is a hierarchy of victimhood among the left and men are not even on the 1st rung , well , not certain kinds of men

Smash, saying a guy who complains about a Beckham ad must be jealous and have a small penis is sexist?
    Jealous is fine, but the rest is abusive to be honest! (Like I said... "more than just being sexist")

And as I said, it's an underwear ad, people who complain are idiots.
    But it's ok to say women who complain about sexy women ads must be fat and unsightly?
    Nobody said that. What was said, is that they're insecure.

Am I missing something?

Where are the men complaining about Becks being an object?

Where are the men saying women who complain are fat and unsightly?

This thread is in serious danger of going off rails here

Jealous is fine, but the rest is abusive to be honest!

And as I said, it's an underwear ad, people who complain are idiots.
    Nobody said that. What was said, is that they're insecure.
    People regularly say it - it looks quite vicious. And says more about those who say it really. I really don't give a **** about those ads, I think women have the right to use their bodies for commercial gain - I would. But there is no evidence that those who complain about such ads are fat and ugly. Possibly they are but what's the point saying it without proof?

People regularly say it - it looks quite vicious. And says more about those who say it really. I really don't give a **** about those ads, I think women have the right to use their bodies for commercial gain - I would. But there is no evidence that those who complain about such ads are fat and ugly. Possibly they are but what's the point saying it without proof?

Again, who has said this?

Have people in the thread said the complainants are fat and ugly?

Again, that wasn't said! And if it was, I didn't say it and I didn't read it either!

and if you really don't give a shít then why are you here stirring it up?

bluewolf wrote: »
    Because men don't care, apparently. So complaining would be just a tad petulant.
    Some women do seem to care, even if I disagree with them.

A lot of these women don't "care" though do they? Let's be honest!

They complain out of jealousy and insecurity, wouldn't you agree?

nobody said that ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

actually, forget it. I'm only pissing into the wind.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Because men don't care, apparently. So complaining would be just a tad petulant.
    Some women do seem to care, even if I disagree with them.

A lot of these women don't "care" though do they? Let's be honest!

They complain out of jealousy and insecurity, wouldn't you agree?

nobody said that ??

If that quote of mine is supposed to show me calling people fat and ugly you might want to read it again

• Advertisement

nobody said that ??
    It's accepted that people mentioned jealousy and insecurity, but nobody mentioned fat and ugly!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement