Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about minimalist shoes - please help a confused newbie!

Options
  • 16-02-2012 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been doing (trying to do) chi running since I started jog/walking 12 weeks ago. I love it - this is so much easier than when I tried running years ago! I'm now running around 16k a week and my feet are starting to complain. I feel I've got the midfoot strike ok but my bulky shoe heel is getting in the way and my foot can't move freely. I hate how boxed-in they feel. I'm wearing Mizuno Wave Inspire 3s which were okish when I got them several years ago but don't think they're serving me well any more.

So I'm thinking of trying a minimalist shoe but I'm confused and overwhelmed and don't know where to start. I've had a look in a few Dublin running shops or their websites and was disappointed with the selection. Plenty of non-minimalist shoes but I couldn't see anything in this line.

Q1. Where in Dublin stocks these kinds of shoes and preferably would have well-trained staff who could advise me? I'm a newbie and really not sure what I should be looking for. I like Amphiibian King but from looking at their website, they have absolutely nothing in this line.

Q2. Could you suggest some shoes that I should try? I find it hard to find shoes to fit well as my foot is broad at the toes, narrow at the heel. Ideally I want women's shoes but I guess I could try men's? The heel looks very wide in mens shoes though, could a be a problem. Ideally I'd like some suggestions so I can ring shops to see if they have them to save myself wasted trips. Am I the only female who dislikes shopping?:D

Q3. I've heard transitioning mentioned - could anyone advise on that? My mileage isn't high as I'm a beginner but I love running so much I don't want to have to stop cos I hurt myself. If it makes any difference, I am not a sylph-like runner - 165cm/64kg and I am very slow.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Hi there.like yourself,im trying chi running also.I was plagued with injuries from running(running about 9 mths).I have a few different pairs of shoes,none of them minimalist,but out of them,i find my lunarglide 3's best suited to the midfoot strike needed.Since i started about a week ago,i find my easyish pace reduced from 9 min/miles to 8 min/miles without any notable increase in effort:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

Q1 sorry i don’t know anywhere in Dublin but I am sure others may help.

Q2 For minimalist shoes if you don’t care what people say and don’t mind all the :rolleyes: the Vibram Five Fingers are great in my opinion and Like you i started wearing them when i was only beginning. They have no support and you feel stones etc but it all worth it in my eyes. You can get them in a lot of places now but www.barefoot.ie are the usual place. Make sure you read the sizing instructions if you do decide to go with them! If you want a more normal looking shoe but still in the same vein you could look at the “Trail gloves", "true gloves" and "road gloves" made by Merrell. New balance minimus road look really good now too.

Aside from the makers of "minimalist" shoes like those above, most regular running shoe makers make racing flats which are light low to the ground with small heel to toe differences (no bulky heel that you mentioned you didn’t like) Examples of these are the adidas adizero pro4 the adidas adizero Hiago , mizuno wave universe, asics hyperspeed , there are loads and i am sure more people will give more examples. These will be easier to come across in running shops and you are more likely to find a good deal too. Whatever you decide they should all help you run without that bulky feel that your current shoes do.

Q3. Transitioning. You should be ok as you are doing relatively low mileage at the moment however whatever shoe you do get i think you should alter between your old and new shoes for a few weeks before going totally over to your new shoe. Take it nice and easy don’t push through any pains or niggles and you should be ok. If it hurts stop!

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Regarding Q1 I would recommend a trip to Amphibian King. They have a lot more in-store that they would have on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DaDartle

I've got the Vibrams and a pair of New Balance Minimus. I can't recommend the latter enough. Best pair of running shoes I've ever owned and not as 'minimal' as the Vibrams. Good luck on your search. 53 Deg. North in the Blanch Shopping Center stocks minimalist stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Posted this before, and my recommendation is that transitioning is the way to go.
    On that front, I got a pair of Inov8 Road-X 255s from Amphibian King.
    They are a good starter shoe on the road to more minimal running, and the lack of cushioning in the heel promotes a mid/fore foot strike.
    They have a nice wide toe box, which really helps when forefoot striking as there is more room for your toes to spread out.
    The heel-toe drop is 9mm, so its not too dramatic a change from standard runners.

They have a women's specific Road-x 238, which would probably suit you better as it has a narrower heel.

Once you get used to it, you can progress to a 6mm, 3mm & eventually zero drop if you want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

I've not tried any minimalist shoes but I did see them recently in Wheelworx on Fonthill Rd (near Liffey Valley shopping centre). They had Vibrams and Vivbarefoot. Website is www.runworx.ie

Posted this before, and my recommendation is that transitioning is the way to go.
    On that front, I got a pair of Inov8 Road-X 255s from Amphibian King.
    They are a good starter shoe on the road to more minimal running, and the lack of cushioning in the heel promotes a mid/fore foot strike.
    They have a nice wide toe box, which really helps when forefoot striking as there is more room for your toes to spread out.
    The heel-toe drop is 9mm, so its not too dramatic a change from standard runners.

They have a women's specific Road-x 238, which would probably suit you better as it has a narrower heel.

Once you get used to it, you can progress to a 6mm, 3mm & eventually zero drop if you want to.

While this is a good idea I dont think as long a transition period like this is necessary at this early stage in her running plus it would work out pretty expensive.

for chi running - midfoot / forefoot striking, it's the heel-to-toe differential that matters, NOT the minimilness (! new word) i.e. thickness of the heel itself.

smaller heel-to-toe drops encourage midfoot / forefoot running.

on normal-ish runners like asics heel-to-to drop is 12mm plus

something like saucony kinvara it's 5 to 6 mm.

you could have huge-heeled runners but once they were fairly flat they'd be fine for chi running.

1. for fairly cushioned shoes I find Nike Lunarglide is actually pretty good for midfoot/ forefoot striking and many other runers agree. h2t drop of about 9mm.

2. saucony kinvara very much encourages midfoot/ forefoot striking due to relative flatness of sole and still offers good cushioning. no stability tho.

Both of these runners don't really need a transition period either.

many other runners to consider but no need to go out and get a pair of Vibram FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

gnu wrote: »
    Q1. Where in Dublin stocks these kinds of shoes and preferably would have well-trained staff who could advise me? I'm a newbie and really not sure what I should be looking for. I like Amphiibian King but from looking at their website, they have absolutely nothing in this line.

There are loads of minimalistshoes in Amphibian King. You should go into a store and they will go through everything and let you try them on.

You don't necessarily need a minimal shoe, any neutral shoe should be fine.

Also you're feet are likely sore becuase of the amount of running you are now doing, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

BobMac104 wrote: »
    While this is a good idea I dont think as long a transition period like this is necessary at this early stage in her running plus it would work out pretty expensive.

I never once mentioned any length of time, its all about what suits you best, and you make the change when you feel capable.
    You could do it over 2 months, 6 months or a year.
    On the expense side, it also depends what you consider expensive...

I'd prefer to fork out 2 x €100/120 to gradually move to a flatter shoe, than splash out the following
    €100/120 for minimal shoes
    3 x €70 of physio sessions (on injury due to a drastically different shoe)
    €100/120 for the transition shoe that you should have got in the first place;)

I base that on the fact that if someone is relatively new to running, you have to take into account that the muscles in their feet probably aren't in peak shape - and that's where the transition can help you build towards that over time rather than in at the deep end and suffer injury.
    If someone is in peak shape, then they can transition more quickly to a pure minimal shoe. However, having tried on a few when making my purchase back in December, I definitely don't think anyone should dive in at the deep end and go straight to a 5-fingers, evo-skin, or zero drop type shoe.
    Its all about taking it in stages, but that's just my opinion.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

glasso wrote: »
    for chi running - midfoot / forefoot striking, it's the heel-to-toe differential that matters, NOT the minimilness (! new word) i.e. thickness of the heel itself.

smaller heel-to-toe drops encourage midfoot / forefoot running.

on normal-ish runners like asics heel-to-to drop is 12mm plus

something like saucony kinvara it's 5 to 6 mm.

you could have huge-heeled runners but once they were fairly flat they'd be fine for chi running.

1. for fairly cushioned shoes I find Nike Lunarglide is actually pretty good for midfoot/ forefoot striking and many other runers agree. h2t drop of about 9mm.

2. saucony kinvara very much encourages midfoot/ forefoot striking due to relative flatness of sole and still offers good cushioning. no stability tho.

Both of these runners don't really need a transition period either.

many other runners to consider but no need to go out and get a pair of Vibram FF.

+1

I never once mentioned any length of time, its all about what suits you best, and you make the change when you feel capable.

I'd prefer to fork out 2 x €100/120 to gradually move to a flatter shoe, than splash out the following

I base that on the fact that if someone is relatively new to running, you have to take into account that the muscles in their feet probably aren't in peak shape - and that's where the transition can help you build towards that over time rather than in at the deep end and suffer injury.
    If someone is in peak shape, then they can transition more quickly to a pure minimal shoe. However, having tried on a few when making my purchase back in December, I definitely don't think anyone should dive in at the deep end and go straight to a 5-fingers, evo-skin, or zero drop type shoe.

Ya whatever works best for you then go for it we definitely are not all the same in this regard.

However i would disagree with you about the peak runners transitional periods being shorter than a person just starting out. If someone is in peak condition and used to structured shoes then the imbalance in conditioning between the foot and leg is far greater than the person who is unfit ie little conditioning in either. An unfit persons is naturally limited in what they can do all over therefore its probably the best time to introduce minimalist shoes. A fit person would rip the calves off themselves if they went out and did too much too soon in a pair of vibrams, if you can only run a mile then your feet and legs will build up together as you.re able to go for farther.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Ya whatever works best for you then go for it we definitely are not all the same in this regard.

However i would disagree with you about the peak runners transitional periods being shorter than a person just starting out. If someone is in peak condition and used to structured shoes then the imbalance in conditioning between the foot and leg is far greater than the person who is unfit ie little conditioning in either. An unfit persons is naturally limited in what they can do all over therefore its probably the best time to introduce minimalist shoes. A fit person would rip the calves off themselves if they went out and did too much too soon in a pair of vibrams, if you can only run a mile then your feet and legs will build up together as you.re able to go for farther.

Everything both spurscormac and bobmac says makes sense. I would add that while the "unfit" person should make a smoother beginning in minimalist shoes than someone conditioned by years of running, they generally don't know or want to know anything about it, they just want to run. So many newbie runners are already bamboozled by the concept of the many different types, structure etc of running shoes, throwing minimalism into the discussion and explaining the effects of heel to toe differentials etc becomes very confusing and often offputting.

Everything both spurscormac and bobmac says makes sense. I would add that while the "unfit" person should make a smoother beginning in minimalist shoes than someone conditioned by years of running, they generally don't know or want to know anything about it, they just want to run. So many newbie runners are already bamboozled by the concept of the many different types, structure etc of running shoes, throwing minimalism into the discussion and explaining the effects of heel to toe differentials etc becomes very confusing and often offputting.

what exactly is complicated about the difference in height of the heel part to the toe part ????? :confused:

I thought that it was important to explain to the OP that you don't need a minimalist shoe to help run on your midfoot/ forefoot, rather that what's important in this respect is the height difference from heel to toe. This is a common misconception.

what exactly is complicated about the difference in height of the heel part to the toe part ????? :confused:

I thought that it was important to explain to the OP that you don't need a minimalist shoe to help run on your midfoot/ forefoot, rather that what's important in this respect is the height difference from heel to toe. This is a common misconception.

Glasso I agree with you. It's the distinction between a barefoot shoe and minimalist shoe which you have highlighted and you are correct in this.
    My point is in regard the vast majority of new joggers who are just trying to get fitter / lose weight etc are not tuned into the difference between your traditional running shoe and minimalist shoe.
    My reference is in respect to people who are in the shop just looking to get started. If you start explaining heel to toe and body alignment and the geometry of the shoe & how it is more biomechanically efficient, eyes tend to glass over.
    When someone starts out asking about minimalism, they have some understanding and expectation that things are different.

gnu wrote: »
    Hi,

Q2. Could you suggest some shoes that I should try? I find it hard to find shoes to fit well as my foot is broad at the toes, narrow at the heel. Ideally I want women's shoes but I guess I could try men's? The heel looks very wide in mens shoes though, could a be a problem. Ideally I'd like some suggestions so I can ring shops to see if they have them to save myself wasted trips. Am I the only female who dislikes shopping?:D

Q3. I've heard transitioning mentioned - could anyone advise on that? My mileage isn't high as I'm a beginner but I love running so much I don't want to have to stop cos I hurt myself. If it makes any difference, I am not a sylph-like runner - 165cm/64kg and I am very slow.

Thanks in advance

To answer OP directly. As previously mentioned we have a bigger range in store than online, we're happy to discuss instore or over the phone. Minimalist shoes such as the Saucony Kinvara / Mirage, iNOV-8 are all suitable for your purposes. They are all available in ladies sizes and styles. Sorry about lack of points, am on phone.

Glasso I agree with you. It's the distinction between a barefoot shoe and minimalist shoe which you have highlighted and you are correct in this.
    My point is in regard the vast majority of new joggers who are just trying to get fitter / lose weight etc are not tuned into the difference between your traditional running shoe and minimalist shoe.
    My reference is in respect to people who are in the shop just looking to get started. If you start explaining heel to toe and body alignment and the geometry of the shoe & how it is more biomechanically efficient, eyes tend to glass over.
    When someone starts out asking about minimalism, they have some understanding and expectation that things are different.

I agree but also you don't even need a minimalist shoe to strike on the midfoot/forefoot. Nike Lunarglide is not minimalist but does a good job for midfoot/forefoot striking.

I agree but also you don't even need a minimalist shoe to strike on the midfoot/forefoot. Nike Lunarglide is not minimalist but does a good job for midfoot/forefoot striking.

No, you don't need a minimalist shoe to mid / forefoot strike but it helps. I mid foot in Mizuno Inspire 8 but I properly forefoot strike with a clear heel in a 4mm shoe. The clear shoe heel allows my heel to drop, loading the calf muscle elastically with the impact energy which is then released as part of the propulsion phase. This leads to more efficient biomechanics with less impact force on the leg joints but for experienced runners an easing in is needed to allow soft tissues to be conditioned.

No, you don't need a minimalist shoe to mid / forefoot strike but it helps. I mid foot in Mizuno Inspire 8 but I properly forefoot strike with a clear heel in a 4mm shoe. The clear shoe heel allows my heel to drop, loading the calf muscle elastically with the impact energy which is then released as part of the propulsion phase. This leads to more efficient biomechanics with less impact force on the leg joints but for experienced runners an easing in is needed to allow soft tissues to be conditioned.

true I'm sure but not very experienced runners (like the OP I think) would be more likely to get an injury in a minimalist shoe as they typically have less cushioning and stability so may be better to start off with a shoe that allows for midfoot/forefoot striking but also offers decent protection.

true I'm sure but not very experienced runners (like the OP I think) would be more likely to get an injury in a minimalist shoe as they typically have less cushioning and stability so may be better to start off with a shoe that allows for midfoot/forefoot striking but also offers decent protection.

But if they are doing low mileage what’s the protection from? Why would you go out to get someone used to a lot of cushioning when it’s not needed? The extra cushioning would probably let them fall out of the good form they are trying to achieve easier so as their fitness increases they may spend longer and longer running with poor form. Less cushioning will let the runner know when they are falling out of form far quicker than a cushioned shoe, so hopefully as the fitness improves and running becomes easier for them the good form should become the default style for them.

However I do think this applies only to people with a relatively low level of fitness as this limits the time they can run for. If someone is fit from other forms of sports or whatever and can go out and run away grand and they were trying to transition then I think cushioning is a probably a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

So last year I was running around 70km a week on average, however I haven't ran much this year at all due to work and other commitments. I bought the following shoes (zero drop heel no arch support) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KKXRSS/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

I ran twice in two days, a 4k run and a 2k run thinking I would be grand but my Achilies tendons are a bit sore - too sore to run again and certainly sore to walk. I realize switching to minimalist shoes takes a while, and you need to take it slow but after reading this I'm siding with the lads and thinking I should have gotten a transitional shoe as well. I don't have an injury at the moment - it's just like I went to the gym after not working out for a while but I don't want to risk an injury. Can you guys recommend a transitional shoe? I always ran in shoes with plenty of support.

[-0-] wrote: »
    So last year I was running around 70km a week on average, however I haven't ran much this year at all due to work and other commitments. I bought the following shoes (zero drop heel no arch support) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004KKXRSS/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details

I ran twice in two days, a 4k run and a 2k run thinking I would be grand but my Achilies tendons are a bit sore - too sore to run again and certainly sore to walk. I realize switching to minimalist shoes takes a while, and you need to take it slow but after reading this I'm siding with the lads and thinking I should have gotten a transitional shoe as well. I don't have an injury at the moment - it's just like I went to the gym after not working out for a while but I don't want to risk an injury. Can you guys recommend a transitional shoe? I always ran in shoes with plenty of support.

for transitional with cushioning , but no real stability. don't last all that long either.

saucony kinvara

for transitional with cushioning and stability and more durability

brooks st5

edit - st5 actually has a big heel to toe drop - so maybe saucony mirage (kinvara with some stability) instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I ran twice in two days, a 4k run and a 2k run thinking I would be grand but my Achilies tendons are a bit sore - too sore to run again and certainly sore to walk. I realize switching to minimalist shoes takes a while, and you need to take it slow but after reading this I'm siding with the lads and thinking I should have gotten a transitional shoe as well. I don't have an injury at the moment - it's just like I went to the gym after not working out for a while but I don't want to risk an injury. Can you guys recommend a transitional shoe? I always ran in shoes with plenty of support.[/QUOTE]

I would class myself as a forefront runner. I used to do all my running in racers to aid in improving my pro-perception. Worked.

Have Saucony Kinvaras, Vibrams, Saucony Mirages and Saucony Hattoris.

Also Mizuno Elixirs, Nike Lunar Elites, Nike Zoom Elite 4s, Nike Pegasus, Nike Mayflys, Nike Marathoners and getting Nike Zoom Elite 5s on Monday, too many shoes. These are just the active ones.

I rotate around depending on how I feel and what shape I am in. I tend to get much longer out of runners than most (> 1500km) so its not as if I drop a fortune regularly on shoes.

Anyways I digress.

The variety of shoes, with the variety of ramp allows me to really notice the difference between shoes. Now all are somewhat low ramp - its been a characteristic of a shoe that I've insisted on before I knew what it was called.

In order of decreasing ramp (never measured just by feel)
    Mizunos Elixirs
    Lunar Elites
    Pegasus
    Zoom Elite 4s
    Marathoners
    Mirages
    mayflys
    kinvaras
    hattori

I find the hattori too low a ramp for anything too long to be honest - at least in my present shape.
    I used to love the kinvara but in my present shape I also find them a little too low a ramp.
    From the other side the Lunar Elites and the Pegsus are too high a ramp and I could only imagine using this on rare occasions when..... well very rarely do I use them to be honest. The Elixir has a higher ramp but is nice and light and still gets used.

The Zoom Elite is not a minimalist shoe, in that it has a ramp that would not fall in the expected range, but its not far off and is light and for me its close to the ideal shoe for huge loads in the legs. If I am in doubt as to the load in the legs I find this is the shoe of choice - for example a Ironman Marathon.

However much rambling later we get to the transitional shoe. For some in all honesty it could be the Zoom Elite. For most I suspect it is the Saucony Mirage. A low ramp - if I run in the Zoom Elites for a few days and then switch to the Mirages my calves will complain for a few minutes, but there still is some ramp, more than the Kinvara. Enough that if you are in superb shape or your form is a little off it will forgive you.

I cannot imagine going any more minimalist than a kinvara (in terms of ramp) and still being able to whack out big miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I tried those.

The ramp was way too high for my liking. Wouldn't have classed it as a transitional or minimalist shoe.

tunney wrote: »
    I tried those.

The ramp was way too high for my liking. Wouldn't have classed it as a transitional or minimalist shoe.

Thanks!

So after all this, it looks like these might be my best bet: http://www.amazon.com/Saucony-Progrid-Mirage-Running-Citron/dp/B004O8PY1Y/ref=sr_1_4?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1329928865&sr=1-4

I do hope to one day be able to handle zero drop heel no arch support but I'm a long way off.

I also want to be able to run a lot during the week and not have to wait months before being able to do so and causing myself an injury.

Kind of raging with myself at the moment. Thanks everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

Wow, thank you all so much!!! This is fantastic info, exactly what I was after. I have even learned a new word, "minimilness"! :D I've been following but couldn't reply as I've got an injury (luckily it's only in my arm but means the amount of typing I can do is seriously limited at the mo).

It's true, I don't know a lot about shoey stuff (though I had read a bit about heel drop) but if I'm going to be a runner I want to learn as much about shoes as I can so this is all great.

AK - thank you so much, wish you were in Dublin as when I rang Bray the person I spoke to told me they didn't really have any minimalist shoes but it was just a very quick call and we didn't discuss my needs much/at all.

I've got a much better idea of what I need now and I've just got to find a little time next week to visit a shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

for transitional with cushioning , but no real stability. don't last all that long either.

saucony kinvara

for transitional with cushioning and stability and more durability

brooks st5

edit - st5 actually has a big heel to toe drop - so maybe saucony mirage (kinvara with some stability) instead.

Disagree with you regards how durable the Kinvara is.I have asked numerous people and it falls hsort for most about 50-80miles compared to a typical training shoe.

I would suggest going for a Triumph 9 or the new 1080 which are both 8mm heel to toe and then work your way into a Kinvara or Nike Free 5.0 or 3.0

Disagree with you regards how durable the Kinvara is.I have asked numerous people and it falls hsort for most about 50-80miles compared to a typical training shoe.

I would suggest going for a Triumph 9 or the new 1080 which are both 8mm heel to toe and then work your way into a Kinvara or Nike Free 5.0 or 3.0

I agree - reread - I'm saying that it's not durable....

• Advertisement
Advertisement