Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking related problem

Options
  • 16-02-2012 11:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭

Dishwasher packed it in this week.

Having to wash dished by hand.

How on earth do you wash a colander/strainer.

With pots or bowls I just fill them with water and then slosh a brush around the edges to get the dirt out, but that won't work with the colander as it empties too quickly.

With plates and cutlery I usually just put them under the sudsie water and do them with the brush, but the colander is too tall for that.

No mater what I do I can't get the bits out from the holes in the thing!!

I have two colanders and I bought a third today, but I can't afford to keep doing that. I only really cook rice and pasta so the colander is central to my cooking needs.

Grateful for any help yee can give!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

em..i'd just wash it with the rough side of a sponge in soap water. it's the rinsing afterwards that is important, to get rid of all the stuff stuck in it. Also clean your sieve straight after you've strained as the starch wont have solidified yet...might make things easier for you...

if you have solidified starch then put the sieve in extremely hot water for a soak with some soap...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

em..i'd just wash it with the rough side of a sponge in soap water. it's the rinsing afterwards that is important, to get rid of all the stuff stuck in it. Also clean your sieve straight after you've strained as the starch wont have solidified yet...might make things easier for you...

if you have solidified starch then put the sieve in extremely hot water for a soak with some soap...

Thanks a million for the help!!!

I've only ever heard of starch being used in cleaning clothes before. I'll be sure to get some on the way home.

I'll post again with the results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I don't own a dishwasher and manage to wash things just fine! Just put it in the sink like anything else and tilt it around in the water until you've it all cleaned....

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

I've only ever heard of starch being used in cleaning clothes before. I'll be sure to get some on the way home.

THe starch is coming from the rice and pasta and has to be washed from the colander, not used to wash the colander / sieve. Soaking the colander / sieve in really hot water makes it easier to take it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

nicol wrote: »

THe starch is coming from the rice and pasta and has to be washed from the colander, not used to wash the colander / sieve. Soaking the colander / sieve in really hot water makes it easier to take it off.

I'm really confused now. They are just normal colanders, and I just cook plain pasta or rice with some stir in sauce.

I put all that in after I strain the stuff so it isn't on the colanders. They are just normal ones I've had for years and the new one is just a basic one from ikea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Is this a wind up?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

No sure if this is a koke or not but if it is not I turn the colander upside down and move it under a tap with the waterrunning on the highest presure till any bits fall out. Then wash normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Nothing to do with cooking or recipes. Everything to do with washing up (not covered in this forum I'm afraid).

Try some of this...

448_elbow_grease.gif

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement