Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures of dog run

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Made mine out of left over roof timbers treated with creasote. The outside uprights are held taught with wire rope tensioned with bottle screws, they are rock solid. Originally i had a plastic mesh around it but a replaced the bottom 3 feet with chain link. I have put a kennel in it facing the shed wall for shelter. The kennel itself is made with a two inch stud wall with two inches of insulation all round, the outside of the kennell is wraped in breathable felt then its covered in shiplap. I could live in it myself!!
    Dimensions of the run are 13 x 10". I'm planning to make an extension for it during the summer. Can't fault it sofar. Only cost about €100 in parts for the run and about €60 in parts for the kennel as I had a lot of the timber lying around. b300acd0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭fiestaman

Great pictures and ideas. Im going to make it 15x6. 6 seems to be the average width.

Im going to make the box too. What would b a good size,taking into account that i may have two dogs at some stage. Would 4x3 b big enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

fiestaman wrote: »
    Great pictures and ideas. Im going to make it 15x6. 6 seems to be the average width.

Im going to make the box too. What would b a good size,taking into account that i may have two dogs at some stage. Would 4x3 b big enough?

4X3 plenty big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

4X3 plenty big.[/Quote]

Agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Great pictures & ideas lads. Its time to reclaim my back garden again so im going to try and sourse some of those builders panels. Does anybody know of a place that sells them near Kinnegad, westmeath or surrounding areas?
    I reckon I will need 4 panels ( if they are 3 meters long each )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭pheasntstalker

well lad there is a lad in or a round delvin that is selling a few im just waiting on a no for him and il duly pm you when i get it im looking for 3-4 meself

well lad there is a lad in or a round delvin that is selling a few im just waiting on a no for him and il duly pm you when i get it im looking for 3-4 meself

Thanks Pheasnt, Local builders provider is looking for around 50 euro each so Ill def try and source some second hand ones first

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭pheasntstalker

no bother lad , im only down the road from kinnegad, and i might have a lad way cheaper than 5oeuro:eek::eek: jayus that steep

no bother lad , im only down the road from kinnegad, and i might have a lad way cheaper than 5oeuro:eek::eek: jayus that steep[/QUOTE

Well 50 euro is for new panels. The average for second hand seems to be between 25 -35 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sonofthegun

Nearly finished just waiting for a spell of good weather
    http://s1055.photobucket.com/albums/s503/tomcoffey74/?action=view&current=2cbc9179.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

If you've gone to the bother of uploading to photobucket embed the photo SOTG

PS that's a nice setter ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sonofthegun

If you've gone to the bother of uploading to photobucket embed the photo SOTG

PS that's a nice setter ;)

mate i live in hope he turns out half as good as that pointer you got that is some animal
    sotg

mate i live in hope he turns out half as good as that pointer you got that is some animal
    sotg

Cheers bud.
    He's done now onto the next one ;)

I'm mid house move/buy at the mo. Have new dog runs designed before the house is even picked. Won't be skimping when I get to it. Whatever it takes to do it right. I'll post once done. hopefully this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Shoot2kill

These used to be just a stone yard with two timber dog houses but over the last few years I've done them away bit by bit.

There is horse mats on the floor and King span insulation on the roof.

I'm starting new ones next week, pretty much the same thing with two large kennels and a smaller additional one for the terrier or if any of the bitches were having pups.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 catherine1984

I could do with that weld mesh. I have serious issues with my dogs escaping. The smaller one jsut bulldosers herself under the chain line even though I have it nailed to wood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Shoot2kill

The weld mesh is an excellent job, I power washed it all out there recently, gave all the steel a quick rub of a wire brush and painted the lot. Good as new!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

fiestaman wrote: »
    Anybody interested in posting a few pics of there runs. building one soon and just wanted a few ideas without spending big bucks. i have a concreted area of 15 x 10. theres an oil thank in this space too so 7 x3 is taking out on one side.

Her is mine, just finishing it.

Good job. Nice and clean looking. Where did you get the metal dog house?

Good job. Nice and clean looking. Where did you get the metal dog house?

Kilkenny, 40mm insulation, warm in winter, cool in summer, maintenance free.
    Great job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Kilkenny, 40mm insulation, warm in winter, cool in summer, maintenance free.
    Great job

great job, where did you get the fence panels, im planning on adding a bigger run and the look ideal

• Advertisement

jap gt wrote: »
    great job, where did you get the fence panels, im planning on adding a bigger run and the look ideal

Irish wire they are about 35Euro for a 8x4 the posts and clips about 12Euro.
    Powder coated fencing, lovely finish, I think the whole fencing came to about 400euro, not cheap but lifetime job and looks good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

would the dogs not jump that? or jump onto the kennel and over the wall?

Spunk84 wrote: »
    would the dogs not jump that? or jump onto the kennel and over the wall?

God no that kind of thing ever happened to me, there dogs not kangaroo's;):rolleyes: they are 5 and 6 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 Woodcock man

God no that kind of thing ever happened to me, there dogs not kangaroo's;):rolleyes: they are 5 and 6 years old.

You have never had an english pointer so .............. my lad would jump the fence and the wall behind it!!!!!
    I have straight up and down bars in my run 6ft high (will post Pics later)

Had a pair of springers once and if i let one out on its own the other guy would climb straight up the inch mesh and follow .....hence the straight bars installed.

WCM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭German pointer

Built a new shed this year and put two doggie doors in it. when pouring the floor foor the shed I put in extra poor about 12X8 for run then put 6ft fence around this with gate. Inside the shed put a 5X4 area walled off from rest of shed as sleeping place and put bed in there. If any one is wondering about the two doors, I can divide both the internal space and external one in half so when I breed the dogs I can put the bitch away fron the other dogs. I intend to put a small barrel into the run connected with hose to pipe feeding tap and put a stopcock in it. No more filling water bowels everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭alan86

Lucky for you one of my springers would get over that at her ease.

Pics of my dog run. He is in that about 10min a day rest of time he has run of garden.
    Just copped one of the pictures is on side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

Irish wire they are about 35Euro for a 8x4 the posts and clips about 12Euro.
    Powder coated fencing, lovely finish, I think the whole fencing came to about 400euro, not cheap but lifetime job and looks good

35 euro for 8 ft x4 ft sheets that is crazy money !! i bought 10, 8 foot by 3 meters sheets at 30 a sheets , in roscommon out the castlerea road , they do quads thinks it hanleys the name.

Pics of my dog run. He is in that about 10min a day rest of time he has run of garden.

That's a fine job.
    I was planning same idea to the shed if I'd gone building. I would suggest;
    A) I would of made the heights inside the shed full height so you can walk in from the inside if needed as opposed to crouching.
    B) I would steel line the inside of the door to prevent chewing
    C) Add a runner & sliding doors to the outside over the openings to allow you block it in the event of pups etc

Either way very cleverly done.

I'll post mine in a few days. Just finishing a new house at present.

• Advertisement

That's a fine job.
    I was planning same idea to the shed if I'd gone building. I would suggest;
    A) I would of made the heights inside the shed full height so you can walk in from the inside if needed as opposed to crouching.
    B) I would steel line the inside of the door to prevent chewing
    C) Add a runner & sliding doors to the outside over the openings to allow you block it in the event of pups etc

Either way very cleverly done.

I'll post mine in a few days. Just finishing a new house at present.

Thanks for that.
    A) The wooden top on the inside is on hinges and can be lifted up for entry
    B) Steel not on yet but have it for the inside of door
    C) I will be able to divide the inside and outside into 2 seperate runs for when there is pups.

In the photo you might also see the gully trap for sweeping the s*** into. I built it as part of major extension to house and am just doing the finishing touches myself.

Advertisement