Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures of dog run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

I'm not a fan of wood in kennels.
    I use the cubicle mats you can get in the co-op - only about €45 - but make sure you get the proper heavy solid ones - you will struggle to lift one on your own between the size and weight of it.
    You will need a saw to cut it up.

They offer better insulation - are almost indestructible - power hose to clean - they don't absorb dirt.

For the older and younger dogs or when the temp drops I throw down some vetbed - machine washable and surprisingly tough. For the bitches that love to wet the bed I use the plastic dog beds - they're cheap and raised about an inch with vent holes in the bottom - the vetbed stays dry and relatively clean for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

thelurcher wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of wood in kennels.
    I use the cubicle mats you can get in the co-op - only about €45 - but make sure you get the proper heavy solid ones - you will struggle to lift one on your own between the size and weight of it.
    You will need a saw to cut it up.

They offer better insulation - are almost indestructible - power hose to clean - they don't absorb dirt.

For the older and younger dogs or when the temp drops I throw down some vetbed - machine washable and surprisingly tough. For the bitches that love to wet the bed I use the plastic dog beds - they're cheap and raised about an inch with vent holes in the bottom - the vetbed stays dry and relatively clean for longer.

at the risk of sounding like a sap or highlighting my inability to get sarcasm, but surely 'bitches that love wetting the bed' should set the brain thinking that perhaps there is something wrong? bitches that lose control of their bladder in later years are showing signs of being unwell. my it's the vet's advise you need instead of their bedding??

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

dicky82 wrote: »
    at the risk of sounding like a sap or highlighting my inability to get sarcasm, but surely 'bitches that love wetting the bed' should set the brain thinking that perhaps there is something wrong? bitches that lose control of their bladder in later years are showing signs of being unwell. my it's the vet's advise you need instead of their bedding??
    No sarcasm dicky.
    In kennels dogs/bitches often urinate on their bedding - a fairly sterile run cleaned regularly leaves them nothing to piss on - which as you no doubt know they like to do.
    I've heard of fellas leaving a pile of earth in a corner to encourage them to go on that - one hound kennel near me leave a bit of gorse for the purpose.

I find the bitches are worse than the dogs for this - questioned a lot of people over the years on it and they all agree - some of these are full time hunt servants. I've helped out in a kennels from time to time and cleaning out the bitches is always worse than the dogs - so it's not only my mongrels ;)

Nothing wrong with them physically at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭pheasntstalker

i can defo agree with lurcher on bitchs pissing in /on bedding, having just other day cleaned out the box,they are worse then dogs!!!:eek::eek::eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭terminator2

LK_Dave wrote: »
    I'ed be interested in this too.

Good idea encompassing the oil tank into the dog run....added security:D
    i did this a few years ago , built the dog run and moved the oil tank into it , just heard the other day that lads robbed my next door neighbours oil , mine wasnt touched ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭EPointer=Birdss

i did this a few years ago , built the dog run and moved the oil tank into it , just heard the other day that lads robbed my next door neighbours oil , mine wasnt touched ;)

I have my reservations about doin this. Whiles it might deter some it won't others. Best case the dog run is damaged & dogs are left untouched. Worse case dogs get damaged or stolen as a kinda added bonus.
    Wouldn't be a massive job to put another fence around oil tank & not offer up chances to oppurtunists
    My oil tank is opposite side of garage to dogs but walled in on 3 sides with its own gate to the front.
    Best thing I've bought in a long time was an outside SOND light. Gives some light to the place. Few sensors help too

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭markbld65

thelurcher wrote: »
    No sarcasm dicky.
    In kennels dogs/bitches often urinate on their bedding - a fairly sterile run cleaned regularly leaves them nothing to piss on - which as you no doubt know they like to do.
    I've heard of fellas leaving a pile of earth in a corner to encourage them to go on that - one hound kennel near me leave a bit of gorse for the purpose.

I find the bitches are worse than the dogs for this - questioned a lot of people over the years on it and they all agree - some of these are full time hunt servants. I've helped out in a kennels from time to time and cleaning out the bitches is always worse than the dogs - so it's not only my mongrels ;)

Nothing wrong with them physically at all.

great thread just spotted this now and i have 3 bitches and one of them urinates on anything she can so above post explains a lot

built a run/shelter for the lot of them this year i have 6 dogs and i'l try and post up some photos tomorrow

their not working dogs just mostly cross terrier rescues i've gathered up over the years

each one has a story !!!!!!!!!!

great thread plenty of ideas and knowledge in it thks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

I have my reservations about doin this. Whiles it might deter some it won't others. Best case the dog run is damaged & dogs are left untouched. Worse case dogs get damaged or stolen as a kinda added bonus.
    Wouldn't be a massive job to put another fence around oil tank & not offer up chances to oppurtunists
    My oil tank is opposite side of garage to dogs but walled in on 3 sides with its own gate to the front.
    Best thing I've bought in a long time was an outside SOND light. Gives some light to the place. Few sensors help too

Agree, plus dogs can get infections/rash from oil, during the hot weather the vapour/smell from the oil can make them sick uncomfortable, not nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Alchemist2

Interesting bout the bitches pissing, have the same problem and i wouldn't mind its not that she's nervous.. there has to be some reason for it?? sorry mods feel free to open new thread if you think this doesn't belong here;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Here are a few pics of the run I got finished a few months ago, still a little bit of work to do but nothing major.

IMAG0199.jpg
    IMAG0201.jpg
    IMAG0203.jpg
    IMAG0204.jpg
    IMAG0206.jpg

• Advertisement

this is the run i built last august/september, still a work in progress

the house has 100mm double foil kingspan insulation and 12mm plasterboard and then skimmed
    the ceiling is insulated then 6mm foil
    floors are tiled easy to clean and insulated under the floor, the main floor area is raised from the ground app 6" for air floor eg no damp etc

they have the run of 2 acres when not in their

most are rescue dogs

a few more photos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Just added a new sign to the gate on the pen lol :D
    pensign001_zpsa2a8a63b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

Hi all
    This is the new enclosure for my pooch .
    I got the 2 side panels from a local steel fabricator and got the end panel and gate made up to suit . The 2 side panels were a cancelled order .
    when i was building the garage i build a pen inside and when i put the run up i broke through.
    inside i put a drinking bowl for cattle ( small one ) and plumbed it up so he always has water . i also got a gully fitted in the floor so i could hose down the pen to keep it clean .I a few cowmats to finish the job and hey presto .2013-01-07 13.02.16.jpg

2013-01-07 13.02.05.jpg

2013-01-07 13.01.53.jpg

Hi all
    This is the new enclosure for my pooch .
    I got the 2 side panels from a local steel fabricator and got the end panel and gate made up to suit . The 2 side panels were a cancelled order .
    when i was building the garage i build a pen inside and when i put the run up i broke through.
    inside i put a drinking bowl for cattle ( small one ) and plumbed it up so he always has water . i also got a gully fitted in the floor so i could hose down the pen to keep it clean .I a few cowmats to finish the job and hey presto .2013-01-07 13.02.16.jpg

2013-01-07 13.02.05.jpg

2013-01-07 13.01.53.jpg

Any pics from inside the shed?

2013-01-08 10.47.40.jpg

2013-01-08 10.47.59.jpg

2013-01-08 10.48.15.jpg

Any pics from inside the shed?
    yes I took them this morning it was a bit brighter I have removed the water bowl for time being waiting to get steel one to stop pooch chewing it you will also see ope is floored out with leftover cowmat cut with stanley knife im going to do the 2 sides at the weekend . im sending this from phone at moment and wont attach . . ill attach them this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I just thought that I would put up a few pics of my new kennel.

It's built from cladding on a 2X2 frame.
    I then skinned the inside with 10mm plywood and insulated the whole thing to (hopefully) keep it warm in winter and cool in summer
    dscn0035uw.jpg

Dimensions are 46in deep,32 ins wide and 28ins at its highest point

It has a hinged roof so that I can sweep it out if needs be or maybe put in some cow matting
    dscn0033u.jpg

The idea of the whole thing is simplicity (i.e. there are no wooden edges so the dogs can start chewing)
    dscn0032r.jpg

All in cost was about €150 but hopefully it will last ages and I have put little finishing touches like "sacraficial feet" on it so that they will rot but can be replaced easily and also the whole thing slopes ever so slightly towards the door so that and moisture will run out rather than in.
    Its not as fancy as some of ye lads but sure I'm a simple type of chap:)

well done vizzy ...sure its all about using and recycling materials to hand

2013-01-08 10.47.40.jpg

2013-01-08 10.47.59.jpg

2013-01-08 10.48.15.jpg
    yes I took them this morning it was a bit brighter I have removed the water bowl for time being waiting to get steel one to stop pooch chewing it you will also see ope is floored out with leftover cowmat cut with stanley knife im going to do the 2 sides at the weekend . im sending this from phone at moment and wont attach . . ill attach them this evening

Excellent. Very well done

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭oats 2

Here are my runs

• Advertisement

oats 2 wrote: »

Getting invalid photos. They look URL wrapped not IMG. If URL they should be embedded? Mods??

DSC01872.JPG
    DSC01866.JPG

sorry new to uploading photos.a real struggle

DSC01872.JPG
    DSC01866.JPG

sorry new to uploading photos.a real struggle

Those 2 work fine.
    Looks a serious job BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Here are my runs

thats a serious set up, hope to have a set up similar to that in time

thanks.was wating an planning for long time.lot of work an money but worth it now.

thanks.was wating an planning for long time.lot of work an money but worth it now.

I'm sure we are all curious as to the budget. If not sharable no probs just any advise given helps

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭dicky82

he cant put his budget up the missus might see it. :p:p

dicky82 wrote: »
    he cant put his budget up the missus might see it. :p:p

Rule of 3. We'll multiply what ever is said by 3 to keep him from having to move into it :D

Rule of 3. We'll multiply what ever is said by 3 to keep him from having to move into it :D
    Two grand abouts.didn't have to move out yet but will have no argument to put up when it comes to interior demands for quiet a while.
    Done all labour myself.got help wit steel in return for work.would cost at least double tat for someone to hire in all the labour.had the claddin an few other small bits.
    Oh stop sure some would think your mad but I've wasted a lot more than tat in a public houses over the time.its a life time job as long as i don't end up when sleeping in it.:-):-)didn't make up exact costing but will do.
    Now hopefully some good dogs will go through it over my hunting life.

• Advertisement

Two grand abouts.didn't have to move out yet but will have no argument to put up when it comes to interior demands for quiet a while.
    Done all labour myself.got help wit steel in return for work.would cost at least double tat for someone to hire in all the labour.had the claddin an few other small bits.
    Oh stop sure some would think your mad but I've wasted a lot more than tat in a public houses over the time.its a life time job as long as i don't end up when sleeping in it.:-):-)didn't make up exact costing but will do.
    Now hopefully some good dogs will go through it over my hunting life.

Well it's a credit to you & a great job.
    You could absolutely spend it in other things & I can't think of a single reason why not on a lifetime job.

Advertisement