Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Sonny Bill's namesake and cousin, Tim Nanai-Williams looks an exciting prospect. Wonder will he make the grade with the All-Blacks?

Possibly. Crunch games at the business end of the season will be impt. Right back to the Irish game after Jackson's successful conversion!

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

Savea's BEAST MODE performance against the crusaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

It was a great try - Israel Dagg had a good game too, despite getting crunched by Savea in that clip.

Bulls beat the Blues 25-21 at Eden Park so the Blue's run is over.

Blues v Bulls

Some nice tries - surprisingly so from the Bulls, maybe inspired by their flamingo pink jerseys - it's a joy to see space, sidesteps etc used to great effect - and a game in the Auckland sunshine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

From the NZ Hearld about Pierre Spies "But let him have his Super Rugby moment, he'll curl up into a ball as he always does come the test season"
    They really are the most bias shower of in-breds. I enjoy some of their stuff, funny at times, but if someone isn't a NZer and has a good game, they cant just say it, they have to say something derogatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

From the NZ Hearld about Pierre Spies "But let him have his Super Rugby moment, he'll curl up into a ball as he always does come the test season"
    They really are the most bias shower of in-breds. I enjoy some of their stuff, funny at times, but if someone isn't a NZer and has a good game, they cant just say it, they have to say something derogatory.
    Who was it? Chris Rattue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Personal abuse of pundits is not cool. Warning issued.

JustinDee wrote: »
    Who was it? Chris Rattue?

I think it was Gregor Paul, but its hard to make out from the layout of the article.

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Personal abuse of pundits is not cool. Warning issued.

Point taken (altho, i never calimed to be cool :p)

I think it was Gregor Paul, but its hard to make out from the layout of the article.
    Yep, saw that when I gave in and looked for it.
    As abuse not permitted, I'll leave it at that regarding, either Rattue or Paul.

Yep, saw that when I gave in and looked for it.
    As abuse not permitted, I'll leave it at that regarding, either Rattue or Paul.

Obviously the article is

a) Tongue in cheek
    b) Written for a NZ audience

so it's not meant to be taken seriously. I just post articles that I hope might be of interest to the rugby fraternity on boards, regardless of whether I agree with the views of the writer or not. I personally do agree that Spies goes missing in big games, but can look a million dollars at other times. I do agree that with NZ being lost out in the Pacific, and miles from even Australia, the press & fans can be very insular in their views - however if you come across any of my postings on boards, I try and be objective in my viewpoints. Gregor Paul actually knows his rugby pretty well, which I would contrast with Conor George for example, whom purely from a rugby point of view I find dire. Chris Rattue is amusing at times, but should also be taken with a pinch of salt, and is NZ's (poor) answer to Stephen Jones, so is also not to be taken seriously, even if he does on occasion raise valid points.

Much like "Plays of the Week", or PRs "Super XV team of the week", I enjoy the NZ Herald's "Power Ratings", and maybe some others on boards enjoy a light read over lunch, if not they are of course free to ignore.

Swiwi wrote: »
    Obviously the article is

a) Tongue in cheek
    b) Written for a NZ audience ... etc

I might have a reason for saying what I said about those two in particular (plus one more, Murray Deaker) :D
    Otherwise, fair enough post. No worries.

I might have a reason for saying what I said about those two in particular (plus one more, Murray Deaker) :D
    Otherwise, fair enough post. No worries.

Yeah, Deaker is NZ's answer to George Hook. TBH, I don't find the quality of rugby analysis from NZ journo's to be of that high a standard, it tends to be of the cheerleading variety. I quite like some of the Australian writers, especially Paul Cully, but because rugby is such a minority sport there, they are not particularly prolific, with maybe an article a week at best.

As I wipe the sleep from my eyes and turn on the grainy internet stream, let's see if the Highlanders can get their season back on track, or whether Savea can continue to treat player safety with disdain. Can 19 year old Jason Emery make an impressive debut, and can BT, twice his age impose his physicality on the game?

• Advertisement

Argentinian ref for this game...nice to see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Is Barritts defense normally an issue?

Haha not normally you'll see a 9 break a tackle by the 6, 7 and 8 before scoring. Fair play to him.

Is the Argentinians nickname or name Argie?!

Is the Argentinians nickname or name Argie?!

Archie?

• Advertisement

Chiefs handling errors aplenty, but first try on the board. My first look at the Southern Kings...

Fantastic from Anscombe jnr - ref barking 10s left to kick, and he nails the sidelines conversion

Fairplay to the Kings, pretty good crowd support.

Anscombe kicking at >90% so far this season...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Anscombe kicking at >90% so far this season...

That conversion was unreal. Is he anything to the Ulster manager?

trouttrout wrote: »
    That conversion was unreal. Is he anything to the Ulster manager?

Son

Chiefs pretty rubbish handling this game, no hope of retaining title if they play like this. Should still get the 5 points v Kings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Why did the Kings not kick to the corner a few minutes back? Madness

trouttrout wrote: »
    Why did the Kings not kick to the corner a few minutes back? Madness

+1

Crusaders playing like how I expect them to, bout time!

• Advertisement

@.ak, you'd be happy with the 'Saders today, a few handling errors, but physically dominated the Bulls, and some great tries. Kieran Read immense tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Crusaders seemed to butcher chances left right and centre, but we're so dominant they always got a second chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Western Force beat the Reds in Suncorp 19-12 whose home record was 22 wins out of 25 matches. I predicted them to surprise a few sides based on their efforts against the Bulls and they did. Reds were largely poor, didn't really look threatening even with Genia and Cooper in the side. Physically they were outmatched and couldn't get quick ball from the breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Kaizer Sosa

yimrsg wrote: »
    Western Force beat the Reds in Suncorp 19-12 whose home record was 22 wins out of 25 matches. I predicted them to surprise a few sides based on their efforts against the Bulls and they did. Reds were largely poor, didn't really look threatening even with Genia and Cooper in the side. Physically they were outmatched and couldn't get quick ball from the breakdown.

I thought Cooper was awful today. His passing was so poor. Frequently sent hospital passes to the players outside him. Let's face it, that's his bread and butter. He's not in the team for his awesome defensive qualities.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Crusaders seemed to butcher chances left right and centre, but we're so dominant they always got a second chance.

Still I'm not complaining with a 5 or 6 try victory over the Bulls!

I thought Cooper was awful today. His passing was so poor. Frequently sent hospital passes to the players outside him. Let's face it, that's his bread and butter. He's not in the team for his awesome defensive qualities.

Which is why I laugh each time he gets listed as the Aussie 10 for the lions. He's way off form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Great to see the Crusaders back in form - that's 10 tries in just two games and without "King Richie" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

@.ak, you'd be happy with the 'Saders today, a few handling errors, but physically dominated the Bulls, and some great tries. Kieran Read immense tonight.

Never seen or heard of the the crusaders winger Marshall before, looks a cracking attacking winger from the highlights.

Never seen or heard of the the crusaders winger Marshall before, looks a cracking attacking winger from the highlights.

In fairness, he could hardly do worse than Whitelock. He had a very good game. With Dagg rightfully back at FB, McNicholl on one wing, and Marshall on the other it looked much more potent. And the now sober again Guildford is due back, and whatever his inadequacies at international level, he's a damn fine SXV winger, so I feel more confident for the Crusaders season.

• Advertisement

Ha, love the way Crockett is out of gas after his 60m try. ;)

Is that Marshall at 14? He looks electric.

Game of the week: Stormers v Brumbies. Brumbies have been going great, so Lions fans might want to catch the game to start evaluating that Aussie talent. Its 5.10pm on Saturday, so perfect pre-dinner viewing. Mention too for Chiefs v Highlanders, which really is a must-win for the Highlanders, but will be hard work in Hamilton (6.35am Friday morning though...)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Jesse mogg just makes life worth living

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

An I right in thinking that it's still 22 man squads this season? If so, why have they not changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

An I right in thinking that it's still 22 man squads this season? If so, why have they not changed?
    Cost reasons. An extra prop in the matchday squad means two extra props in the wider squad. No money.

Cost reasons. An extra prop in the matchday squad means two extra props in the wider squad. No money.

I don't think it's needed except at international level. As you say just adds cost.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's needed except at international level. As you say just adds cost.

I think it is needed, but then again the scrum in SH rugby is fairly different so I can see why it'd be slow on the uptake. For me, in terms of safety, 23 man squads are paramount.

Reds v Bulls - James Horwill making his LONG-awaited return. Cooper keeps getting chosen in Aussie sides on this forum - you could judge for yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Only saw the end of the first half, Reds looked good in attack. Nice try as well, Cooper heavily involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

3 penalties to the Bulls in the first 10 mins of the second half, and they lead 15-13

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Zane Kirchner a Leinster target to replace Nacewa apparently... please god no :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement