Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Swiwi wrote: »
    Reds v Bulls - James Horwill making his LONG-awaited return. Cooper keeps getting chosen in Aussie sides on this forum - you could judge for yourself!

And he's currently doing very well in fairness, found a spark again

Jaysus the crusaders put on a masterclass dis morning! Destroyed the kings! G.Whitelock wit a hat trick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

It was a nice try for Cooper, good awareness of space. He has had a good game so far. Lovely cross kick there as well.

Reds win 23-18. Good game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Tox56 wrote: »
    Zane Kirchner a Leinster target to replace Nacewa apparently... please god no :(

Leinster management wanted to keep the good-luck hairstyle going, so Kirchner was the obvious replacement.

But I'm with you on this one - that I wouldn't chase Kirchner's signature.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Leinster management wanted to keep the good-luck hairstyle going, so Kirchner was the obvious replacement.

But I'm with you on this one - that I wouldn't chase Kirchner's signature.

Just realised another supposed Leinster target Willie le Roux is starting for the Cheetahs in the next game on, and he sounds a bit more promising. Been a good day for Irish watchers, potential next Irish coach, former Irish players and possible Leinster signings all on show..

Tox56 wrote: »
    Just realised another supposed Leinster target Willie le Roux is starting for the Cheetahs in the next game on, and he sounds a bit more promising. Been a good day for Irish watchers, potential next Irish coach, former Irish players and possible Leinster signings all on show..

The Cheetahs have a real cult following in NZ because they play a great running game...it's damn shame that Goosen is injured yet again - more brittle than Ferris, and that's saying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

The Bulls are hamstrung with an awful game focusing on kicking, when they run with ball they looked decent. Kirchner is very solid defensively but we can't see how good he is on attack when the team is drilled to kick ball rather than run it back. Very similar situation to Ireland's game plan stifling attacking players and making them look ordinary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Nacewa was singing Kirchners praises. Is there a chance they share a barber?

Or more realistically would they have played BaaBaas together maybe?

I think Thinus Delport said it best when he said the Bulls are stuck playing the same game plan that won them the title even though the game has passed them by and that style of play no longer is successful. I think Morne Steyn sums up the Bulls, once the most effective style but now outdated and holding the team back.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I think Thinus Delport said it best when he said the Bulls are stuck playing the same game plan that won them the title even though the game has passed them by and that style of play no longer is successful. I think Morne Steyn sums up the Bulls, once the most effective style but now outdated and holding the team back.
    Jesus they sound exactly like Ireland except with funnier accents.

Maybe they'll hire Kidney?

• Advertisement

Jesus they sound exactly like Ireland except with funnier accents.

Maybe they'll hire Kidney?

The Irish have a sense of humour, Bulls supporters don't. I reckon Kidney would be like a fish out of water in Pretoria!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I think most Irish rugby watchers with a brain said it best when they said Ireland are stuck playing the same game plan that won them the title even though the game has passed them by and that style of play no longer is successful. I think ROG sums up Ireland, once the most effective style but now outdated and holding the team back.

FYP

Try for Willie Le Roux, opportunistic score. Cheetahs win 19-10, good away win for them.

Try for Willie Le Roux, opportunistic score. Cheetahs win 19-10, good away win for them.

3 from 3 on the road, great effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

It would be wonderful if the Cheetahs made the playoffs. The antithesis to the Bulls. One of Swiwi's links summed them (and for that matter the Stormers too, but I think they've improved and now the Sharks are more negative) up well as a team that kicks first and asks questions later.

Very poor start by the Rebels, getting out muscled in all aspects of the game. 14-0 to the Sharks

Even with a man in the bin the Sharks go 19-0 up. Should get the bonus point before the end of the half.

There's the bonus point. 24-0. Long match ahead for the Rebels

Good start to the second half for the Rebels. 31-0 to the Sharks now

• Advertisement

The Beast has scored his first ever try in Super Rugby. 45-0 to the Sharks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Sharks score their 9th try to 59-0 up against the Rebels, 54 minutes gone.

O'Connor goes into the bin, and there goes Rebels chance of getting back into the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Yellow now. Looks like it'll be a point per minute match

The comeback is on, try for Higginbottam. Sharks 64-7 Rebels

Lovely try for Aplon

• Advertisement

Gio Aplon for Leinster? Nice step!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Gio Aplon for Leinster? Nice step!

Anyone but Kichner. #ABK ? :P

.ak wrote: »
    Anyone but Kichner. #ABK ? :P

Aplon's a good player. Bekker is off to Japan...my AB side is happy, no doubt he'll be back for 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah, lot of Leinster fans were actually happy to hear Bekker wasn't signing with us. I think he'd have been a brilliant signing imo.

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah, lot of Leinster fans were actually happy to hear Bekker wasn't signing with us. I think he'd have been a brilliant signing imo.

I'm surprised to read that, Bekker is a phenomenal player when not injured - I would rate him a better player than Cullen, Toner etc - why were the Leinster faithful not too keen on him?

• Advertisement

Nice try for Speight.

George Smith is having a gem of a game.

Bekker on a hat trick, 22-10 to the Stormers at half time.

Kiwi_knock, what do u think of GJ as a ref? He continues to impress me, makes the right calls, and always remains calm. I predict a RWC semi or final in 2015...

Been very impressed with him so far, you can tell the players respect him. One of the better referees, definitely deserves to ref consistently on the international stage.

Been very impressed with him so far, you can tell the players respect him. One of the better referees, definitely deserves to ref consistently on the international stage.

Obviously he played 10 at a high level (NZ Maori, Chiefs, BOP, Saracens), so he understands the game.

Stormers get the bonus point and the win.

Stormers get the bonus point and the win.

I guess good news the for NZ teams...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

I think Jaco Pauper handles Super Rugby games very well and when he was refereeing Ireland - Argentina he was very good, he has had some absolute howler games though as well.

I think Jaco Pauper handles Super Rugby games very well and when he was refereeing Ireland - Argentina he was very good, he has had some absolute howler games though as well.

Yeah I like him too. IMO the NH has tended to produce a better quality of ref than the 3N teams. It's good to see refs like Jackson & Peyper coming through, and there was an Argentinian ref for the Hurricanes v Highlanders the other day, and he was good as well.

• Advertisement

Seems like the Rebels had a nice relaxing evening after their match, according to Cooper Vuna on Twitter anywayhttps://twitter.com/CVUNA/with_replies .
    Can anyone get me back to Australia? I need to leave right now, this ain't for me! Tried to help someone but got punched so instead of putting him in hospital il leave!
    I hate how professional players cheap shot!
    Hmmmmm his name is @kurtley_beale bloody grub!

Hard to know if there is any truth to it. All depends if we hear more about it tomorrow.

Yeah I like him too. IMO the NH has tended to produce a better quality of ref than the 3N teams. It's good to see refs like Jackson & Peyper coming through, and there was an Argentinian ref for the Hurricanes v Highlanders the other day, and he was good as well.

I think Walsh is a great referee, has had his bad days yes, but he's very direct and talks to the players. I remember Spreaders from back in the day being a huge hit with the players, always laughing and joking. Those were the days eh! :rolleyes:

Obviously he played 10 at a high level (NZ Maori, Chiefs, BOP, Saracens), so he understands the game.

Turned down a chance to play for Leinster when he retired as well. The scum.

And the Blues blow a 24-10 HT advantage to lose to the Waratahs :( At least choose a decent side to lose to lads! 15 handling errors is shocking. Chiefs v Blues is match of the week for next weekend!

Looking at the SXV so far with my crystal ball

Will make playoffs: Crusaders, Chiefs, Brumbies, Stormers

Won't make playoffs: Highlanders, Rebels, Force, Waratahs, Kings, Canes

Time will tell: Blues, Reds, Sharks, Bulls, Cheetahs

There, that's a marker laid down that might come back to haunt me!

And rolling back the years...only 1 team has won Super Rugby after losing all 4 initial games. The Crusaders in 1998 lost their opening 4 games, but then won the remaining 7 round-robin games to qualify in 4th position. In a forebear of the future, Wayne Smith started the trend of taking dodgy tackling 10s (in this case Mehrtens) and putting them at 15 on defence, and the Crusaders took down the Reds with legends such as John Eales in the semi, before beating the AB-laden Blues at Eden Park in the final.

Moral of the story: don't write of the Brad Thorn captained Highlanders ;)

Note that future French centre Tony Marsh is playing midfield for the 'saders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Been really impressed by Sam Cane and Steve Luatua this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Matt Todd has also been doing a fine job filling in for McCaw,Elliot Dixon is a lethal carrier and Leiua,Moala and Saili look very dangerous every time they get the ball

lurtz wrote: »
    Matt Todd has also been doing a fine job filling in for McCaw,Elliot Dixon is a lethal carrier and Leiua,Moala and Saili look very dangerous every time they get the ball

Matt Todd is a fine player and was excellent last season too. Watched the Chiefs-Highlanders game again last night and Dixon is phenomenal with the ball in hand.

• Advertisement

lurtz wrote: »

Not so keen on Todd myself, despite being a crusader. Prefer luke braid or Sam cane, and Hansen also mentioned ardie Savea.

Advertisement