Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Swiwi wrote: »
    Not so keen on Todd myself, despite being a crusader. Prefer luke braid or Sam cane, and Hansen also mentioned ardie Savea.

I think he's a fantastic player,quite a footballer as well,he seems to have a real idea of space and handling. Cant wait to see more of ardie savea,he was class in the itm cup for an 18 year old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

lurtz wrote: »
    I think he's a fantastic player,quite a footballer as well,he seems to have a real idea of space and handling. Cant wait to see more of ardie savea,he was class in the itm cup for an 18 year old!

That first AB squad for the French tests will be interesting alright. Cane will be there but the second 7 will be interesting.

Dont think Hardie is up to it,Latimer won't get a callback, Braid could well be in with a shout..between himself and Todd anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Two Savea's in the one team? God help us..

Someone asked a while back about promising youngsters. This is unashamedly stolen from an Aussie website

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/the-fifteen-best-young-players-in-super-rugby/

Despite playing at 15 for the Chiefs, Ulster fans will note Gareth Anscombe picked at 10. Piutau & Perenara could well be ABs this year.

Kitshoff from the Stormers looks like he's got a bit of the Irish in him...in which case he would be worth snaffling, because he seems a pretty good prop when I've seen him play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beery Eyed

Kitshoff from the Stormers looks like he's got a bit of the Irish in him...in which case he would be worth snaffling, because he seems a pretty good prop when I've seen him play.

Kitshoff is the guy that Tadgh Furlong ate in the scrum during the U20 world cup last June as far as I recall. He had already played for the Stormers so the commentators were talking him up beforehand, but I think he was subbed at half time after being part of a reversing pack for much of the first half. First time I've seen an Irish underage team stand up & even push back a South African pack. No easy task

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah, lot of Leinster fans were actually happy to hear Bekker wasn't signing with us. I think he'd have been a brilliant signing imo.
    I'm surprised to read that, Bekker is a phenomenal player when not injured - I would rate him a better player than Cullen, Toner etc - why were the Leinster faithful not too keen on him?

The anticipation for your reply grows by the minute...

...games of the week: Blues v Chiefs should be a cracker (Sat 0635 :( ) and at a more civilised hour Crusaders v Stormers (Sat 1710).

Can the Crusaders win at Newlands without Richie, Dan & Kieran? I'm not sure, but they have pulled off some great victories there, including a year or 2 back when they won despite 4 injuries during the match. I think this was it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=2F2j3ZsEcFE I see Berquist was playing for the 'Saders - didn't he have an ill-fated spell at Leinster?

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    Kitshoff is the guy that Tadgh Furlong ate in the scrum during the U20 world cup last June as far as I recall. He had already played for the Stormers so the commentators were talking him up beforehand, but I think he was subbed at half time after being part of a reversing pack for much of the first half. First time I've seen an Irish underage team stand up & even push back a South African pack. No easy task

Ah well there's a first time for everything! If that's the case, then maybe he's not so good. The Stormers are playing my team on Saturday, so I'll be watching and I'll keep a close eye on Kitshoff.

Edit: I've just seen he's suspended, so it will have to wait :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Someone asked a while back about promising youngsters. This is unashamedly stolen from an Aussie website

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/the-fifteen-best-young-players-in-super-rugby/

Despite playing at 15 for the Chiefs, Ulster fans will note Gareth Anscombe picked at 10. Piutau & Perenara could well be ABs this year.

He's the prop version of Paddy Jackson.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The anticipation for your reply grows by the minute...

He's not Brad Thorn!!

That's only a semi jokey answer too. All the second row Southern Hemisphere imports will be compared to him (bar the non Internationals like Roux) and Bekker, who was Botha's understudy (???), is a bit meh in comparison. We also have our own tall, mobile second row in Toner too. This isn't a big criticism of Bekker but most Leinster fans, me included who does watch some Super XV rugby, won't have seen Bekker play that much, if at all! Then there is what happened with Sykes too where a rated SA lock struggled to make an impression with us and then went home.

Edit: and he's a bit prone to injury too :D

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He's not Brad Thorn!!

That's only a semi jokey answer too. All the second row Southern Hemisphere imports will be compared to him (bar the non Internationals like Roux) and Bekker, who was Botha's understudy (???), is a bit meh in comparison. We also have our own tall, mobile second row in Toner too. This isn't a big criticism of Bekker but most Leinster fans, me included who does watch some Super XV rugby, won't have seen Bekker play that much, if at all! Then there is what happened with Sykes too where a rated SA lock struggled to make an impression with us and then went home.

I'd never heard of Sykes until he came to Leinster. Bekker is a great lock but just a bit prone to injury. Will be worth watching the match this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I don't remember there being much criticism of Bekker by Leinster fans? Maybe I missed that but I was disappointed when I heard he was no longer an option. Would have definitely taken him here. Maybe it's the fact you couldn't really pair him with Toner? Seems like a good lock from what I've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Beery Eyed wrote: »

Also he is a Loosehead, we do not need a young loosehead, we have a tonne of them, ALL our scrum problems of the recent past and for the next few years are all regarding the Tighthead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Anyone who knows more than I do about SH rugby (which is most) know if Jan Serfontaine will be getting any S15 game time with the Bulls?

He was outstanding at the JWC last year and is close to 100kg i'd say so physically should be up to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Anyone who knows more than I do about SH rugby (which is most) know if Jan Serfontaine will be getting any S15 game time with the Bulls?

He was outstanding at the JWC last year and is close to 100kg i'd say so physically should be up to it

He's had at least 2 if not 3 sub appearances for the Bulls already.

Early days in the Reds V 'Landers, but the "triple crown" of Genia, Cooper & Horwill looking good. It's a pity for the Reds that Higginbotham moved on.

Highlanders have been totally underwhelming this season, Reds doing it easy so far. Jamie Joseph has resurrected the franchise, but I think his number might be up. There is a place for you Joe, if you want to return to NZ!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Only watching the 2nd half. Highlanders defense is shocking. So tame, Reds are making ground on every phase. Looks like they're using a "bend but don't break" approach.

Reds are excellent in attack. Passing well and look so in control of possesssion.

The Aussies need to send Cooper to Japan or League

The Aussies need to send Cooper to Japan or League

Didn't see 2nd half but after all my dissing, the landers got to within 1 point. I take it from your comment that coopers defence got found out...again?

• Advertisement

Didn't see 2nd half but after all my dissing, the landers got to within 1 point. I take it from your comment that coopers defence got found out...again?

There were two pieces of individual brilliance from Gear and Nonu, but Cooper was involved in both. And he made a few other crazy errors.

There were two pieces of individual brilliance from Gear and Nonu, but Cooper was involved in both. And he made a few other crazy errors.

Gear & Savea must be odds on for the ABs although both are left wings and a bit the same style in contrast to the injured Jane.

Morf wrote: »
    He's had at least 2 if not 3 sub appearances for the Bulls already.

He's starting the next game. He is just an unbelievable athlete. Cannot wait to see him in the JWC this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Serfontein has been criminally underused by the Bulls. The Bulls just don't use their backline, they showed a bit of endeavour when they were more or less out of the game (Serfontein was on the pitch then and showed a lot of promise) against the Reds.

Morne Steyn booting the ball and Spies making awful decisions means that he's going to waste playing with the Bulls, look at how good a youngster like Jordaan plays with the Sharks and see how they use him to see how poor the Bulls are using wasting an even better talent in Serfontein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Saw Serfontein in last year's JWC, he was awesome in the final against the Baby Blacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

He's starting the next game. He is just an unbelievable athlete. Cannot wait to see him in the JWC this year!

He has another year of u20?? :eek:

Good god.

I very much liked the look of JJ Engelbrecht last year as well

Chiefs have just suffocated the life out of the Bues attack so far - very impressive defence (championship quality if I might say so).

Richard Kahui once again looks a million dollars - should go straight back into the national side, but will he be picked with his imminent departure to Nippon?

I really hope Luatua gets an AB jersey, looks the most promising NZ 6 I have seen in a long while, reminds me of Stephen Ferris TBH, although appears to have more speed.

• Advertisement

23-16 - looks close, but the Chiefs were a class apart. Nice for the Blues to pick up a losing BP, they will tip a few teams up along the way, but after the initial excitement, you feel mid-table will be their spot this year.

Bull lost to Brumbies after a wrongfully given penalty allowed Lealiifano to win the game after 80 minutes, 23-20. The Bulls had managed to get back on level terms from 20-13 through a try from JJ Engelbrecht and Steyn's conversion near the touchline on 78 minutes.

Positives for the Bulls are they won't have to leave South Africa from now on and Serfontain getting his first start and looking more than comfortable. Their scrum being obliterated was a real cause for concern. If they sure that up and use their backs they could be a threat. Possible Leinster target, Kirchner had a bit of an off day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Willie le Roux looking good for the Cheetahs

Lovely try there for the Cheetahs, great set up by Ebersohn. Cheetahs leading 17-6

Le Roux gets a try, he deserved that for his all round performance

Kiwi_knock can you help? I'm in Dublin and this yellow thing has appeared in the sky. It's round and (relatively) hot and it hurts to look at it directly. Someone said it was called "the sun", but I'm not sure...

Go the Cheetahs, my bestest team (after the 'saders...)

• Advertisement

It is very confusing, sun in Ireland and a South African team that uses their backline.

Leinster & Ulster fans...catch 60 minutes or so of SXV before you switch to the other match...see whether Bekker would have been a good signing for Leinster...is Gio Aplon the man to replace Nacewa?

Great game this, some amount of intensity.

Stupid from 'saders there. Stormers down to 14 and they gift a penalty. But given all the injuries and absentees, I'm happy with the boys so far.

You beauty! No Carter, Read, McCaw, Dagg, injury to Franks & McNicholl...and they pull off a great victory! Fantastic.

• Advertisement

Leinster & Ulster fans...catch 60 minutes or so of SXV before you switch to the other match...see whether Bekker would have been a good signing for Leinster...is Gio Aplon the man to replace Nacewa?

Bekker wouldn't offer much to Leinster, he's a bit of a show pony and doesn't do much dirty work like hitting rucks. Sam Whitelock eclipsed him in the lineout for me yesterday. Bekker get's noticed a lot for being out on the wings and scoring tries but he's not in the build of Hines/Thorn which is what Leinster really need and hopefully McCarthy can provide that. With Cullen, Toner, Denton, Flanagan and possibly Marshall we've plenty of athletic locks but need more physical locks like McCarthy and Roux who hopefully can keep himself fit as he's shown some promise.

Aplon is class player, brave as anyone but because of his size and fearlessness he does get banged about. I don't think he'd be a direct replacement as we'd probably need two players to replace Nacewa as he's that important to Leinster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Whitelock and Retallick are a serious pairing for NZ.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

These games tend to be on Sky Sports Xtra, does anyone know if you can view that on the Xbox through the Sky player?

I launched it and all I see is this guff advertising from Sky. Colour me confused?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

awec wrote: »
    These games tend to be on Sky Sports Xtra, does anyone know if you can view that on the Xbox through the Sky player?

Yep, you should be able to. I can anyway :/.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I guess there must be nothing on it at the moment then, that's why I see the ad :)

yimrsg wrote: »
    Bekker wouldn't offer much to Leinster, he's a bit of a show pony and doesn't do much dirty work like hitting rucks. Sam Whitelock eclipsed him in the lineout for me yesterday. Bekker get's noticed a lot for being out on the wings and scoring tries but he's not in the build of Hines/Thorn which is what Leinster really need and hopefully McCarthy can provide that. With Cullen, Toner, Denton, Flanagan and possibly Marshall we've plenty of athletic locks but need more physical locks like McCarthy and Roux who hopefully can keep himself fit as he's shown some promise.

Aplon is class player, brave as anyone but because of his size and fearlessness he does get banged about. I don't think he'd be a direct replacement as we'd probably need two players to replace Nacewa as he's that important to Leinster.

Whitelock had a fantastic game yesterday, the Stormers lost at least 6 on their own throw. In fact all 4 whitelocks went well. Todd also was good yesterday, in fact i couldn't really fault the team - to win in SA with so many absentees was a really great team effort and fairplay to blackadder for the tactics which were spot on. Look forward to the sharks next weekend although I imagine Irish eyes will (rightly) be on the HEC.

Whitelock had a fantastic game yesterday, the Stormers lost at least 6 on their own throw. In fact all 4 whitelocks went well. Todd also was good yesterday, in fact i couldn't really fault the team - to win in SA with so many absentees was a really great team effort and fairplay to blackadder for the tactics which were spot on. Look forward to the sharks next weekend although I imagine Irish eyes will (rightly) be on the HEC.

It's a pity that both sides are missing some of their best players but it could still be a corker. Crusaders looked very good against the Stormers considering they were without Carter, McCaw & Read. The whole team looked very solid considering the experience they were without, everyone knew what there were doing. I reckon the Crusaders should edge it as their pack will be too strong for the Sharks forwards without Bismarck and Alberts but it'll be close as the Sharks had a buy week and rested a few players against the Rebels the week before.

yimrsg wrote: »
    It's a pity that both sides are missing some of their best players but it could still be a corker. Crusaders looked very good against the Stormers considering they were without Carter, McCaw & Read. The whole team looked very solid considering the experience they were without, everyone knew what there were doing. I reckon the Crusaders should edge it as their pack will be too strong for the Sharks forwards without Bismarck and Alberts but it'll be close as the Sharks had a buy week and rested a few players against the Rebels the week before.

I'd favour the Sharks - just - but it should be a good game. Hopefully Dagg will be back.

I'd favour the Sharks - just - but it should be a good game. Hopefully Dagg will be back.

Dagg hasn't been himself this term I feel, struggled against the Canes and haven't seen his RWC form fully as of yet. Hope to see him back flying soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

What was the best Chiefs performance from a spectator's point of view last season?

• Advertisement
Advertisement