Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Rugby [Super 15] - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Beating the Saders last yr with SBW being a wrecking ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

The semifinal?

No beating them in Napier after the earthquakes in christchurch. SBW's 1st game against the Saders, was a spectacular game, chiefs wrapped up a lot of big wins but this had to be the best performance they put in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Found it!

Just watched the semi by mistake, bit of a scrappy game :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Game of the week has to be the Sharks v Crusaders, which appeals as the perfect curtain-raiser to the Leinster-Wasps 1/4 final. Sharks have flown a bit under the radar but currently sit top of the SA conference with 4 wins and a loss. The 'saders come off the back of a very impressive win over the Stormers. Of note, the Stormers weren't too happy about the "Caped Crusaders" - these are Cape Coloureds who support NZ teams (especially the ABs) dating from the Apartheid era - who made their support for the Crusaders a little too obvious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Those signed with overseas clubs since the World Cup

Japan:

• Anthony Boric (Mitsubishi)
    • Stephen Donald (Bath, now Mitsubishi)
    • Ben May (Sanix)
    • Richard Kahui (Toshiba)
    • Lelia Masaga (Honda)
    • Isaia Toeava (Canon)
    • Sonny Bill Williams (Panasonic)
    • Adam Thomson (Canon)
    • Jerome Kaino (Toyota)
    • Ma'a Nonu (Ricoh, now Highlanders)
    • Brad Thorn (Sanix, now Highlanders)
    • Mils Muliaina (Docomo)

Europe

• John Afoa (Ulster, Ireland)
    • Craig Clarke (Connacht, Ireland)
    • Jimmy Cowan (Gloucester, England)
    • Rene Ranger (Montpellier, France TBC)
    • Sean Maitland (Glasgow, Scotland)

Those signed with overseas clubs since the World Cup

Japan:

• Anthony Boric (Mitsubishi)
    • Stephen Donald (Bath, now Mitsubishi)
    • Ben May (Sanix)
    • Richard Kahui (Toshiba)
    • Lelia Masaga (Honda)
    • Isaia Toeava (Canon)
    • Sonny Bill Williams (Panasonic)
    • Adam Thomson (Canon)
    • Jerome Kaino (Toyota)
    • Ma'a Nonu (Ricoh, now Highlanders)
    • Brad Thorn (Sanix, now Highlanders)
    • Mils Muliaina (Docomo)

Europe

• John Afoa (Ulster, Ireland)
    • Craig Clarke (Connacht, Ireland)
    • Jimmy Cowan (Gloucester, England)
    • Rene Ranger (Montpellier, France TBC)
    • Sean Maitland (Glasgow, Scotland)

So you read the NZ Herald ;) It's pretty much a team from 1 to 15...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Swiwi wrote: »
    So you read the NZ Herald ;) It's pretty much a team from 1 to 15...

yeah I keep abreast of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

What I'd give for even just one of those players in Japan (Donald excluded)....

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    What I'd give for even just one of those players in Japan (Donald excluded)....

Luckily for Donald his penalty kick will keep him a warm fuzzy spot in Kiwi's hearts, but he wouldn't make a Bath greatest XV let alone an AB one.

Apparently a hang of a nice bloke, but desperate times really called for desperate measures in 2011.

No-one on this side of the equator was too enamoured of a NZ victory, but doing it with the 4th choice (at best) first-five was a good effort...I couldn't believe history was repeating itself after the Carter/Evans injury curse of 2007.

Is Afoa coming back to NZ? He'd definitely go straight into a SXV team, no worries, but he might have his work a bit cut out getting back into the ABs. I'd welcome it, all the same, it's not common that players turn around and head back to NZ while still at a good level. From what I've seen of Brad Thorn this season, I no longer think he's AB material...fair enough at 38!

Rene Ranger would've been an ideal signing for either Munster or Leinster. Munster need a 13, Leinster need one too. Think he's one thats badly slipped through the net in both NZ and Europe. Massive player for the blues. Realistically the NZ selectors weren't considering him until everyone started leaving and Smith has a sabbatical stipulation so he wasn't an option for a recall i think

Rene Ranger would've been an ideal signing for either Munster or Leinster. Munster need a 13, Leinster need one too. Think he's one thats badly slipped through the net in both NZ and Europe. Massive player for the blues. Realistically the NZ selectors weren't considering him until everyone started leaving and Smith has a sabbatical stipulation so he wasn't an option for a recall i think

I agree 100%. He makes just a little too many mistakes to nail down an AB job (see the masterclass from Kahui in the weekend as a comparison) but he's still a very good player, and would wreck havoc in the HEC I reckon. Still annoyed that Kahui is off :mad: There's talk of Ben Smith getting the 13 jersey in C.Smith's absence, but it presents as a possible issue for the ABs in the lead-in to 2015. I reckon Robbie Freuan will never make the ABs, so he could be a possible option for poaching.

Been talks of freuan for a long time! I thnk he's a fantastic talent but isn't consistent enough for ABs, Kahui has always been a top notch 13 for many years. Ben Smith is a class 15, but i dunno how much of a 13 he is. A great utility player but at best is a 15. Love Rangers try anything attitude, i think we could see a young AB side soon, think Francis Saili'i and Charles Piutau will be capped soon. Are both class players! Halai with outside shot of back up winger with Gear and Savea starting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Afoa is definitely leaving at the end next season I think. Pretty sure he wants to head home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I agree 100%. He makes just a little too many mistakes to nail down an AB job (see the masterclass from Kahui in the weekend as a comparison) but he's still a very good player, and would wreck havoc in the HEC I reckon. Still annoyed that Kahui is off :mad: There's talk of Ben Smith getting the 13 jersey in C.Smith's absence, but it presents as a possible issue for the ABs in the lead-in to 2015. I reckon Robbie Freuan will never make the ABs, so he could be a possible option for poaching.

Fruean might be an option but at the same time I've never been that impressed with him either.

• Advertisement

Been talks of freuan for a long time! I thnk he's a fantastic talent but isn't consistent enough for ABs, Kahui has always been a top notch 13 for many years. Ben Smith is a class 15, but i dunno how much of a 13 he is. A great utility player but at best is a 15. Love Rangers try anything attitude, i think we could see a young AB side soon, think Francis Saili'i and Charles Piutau will be capped soon. Are both class players! Halai with outside shot of back up winger with Gear and Savea starting

I like Horrell at the chiefs, reckon he could be an AB bolter. Sailii is good too, Halai had a 'mare in the weekend. Tamati Ellison will be back at some stage.

True, forgot about Tamati, always liked him! Dunno about Horrell, if he nails down a regular starting spot than he'll have a chance but the rotation now with Bundee Aki, Charlie Ngatai and Horrell with Kahui 13 and maybe Nanai the odd time i can't see Horrell getting in there

Morf wrote: »
    Fruean might be an option but at the same time I've never been that impressed with him either.

I'd take Robbie Fruean any day of the week. I'd prefer Rene Ranger obviously but Fruean is an absolute monster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I'd take Robbie Fruean any day of the week. I'd prefer Rene Ranger obviously but Fruean is an absolute monster.

He looks good when Crusaders pack are well on top. Otherwise he disappears.

Morf wrote: »
    He looks good when Crusaders pack are well on top. Otherwise he disappears.

I don't think it's the pack, it's more the unfortunate sequelae to his rheumatic fever and resultant mitral valve repair. He was an IRB U19 player of the Year before illness struck, and it was a good effort just to get back into top level rugby. But I agree he is not always an 80 minute man, and that has certainly contributed to his AB non-selection. Still a good player though, and he was busy enough v the Stormers lat weekend, even if I don't recall any typical clean breaks - but nor did he let De Villiers & co saunter through.

For his sake, I hope he doesn't end up like Nacewa with a few minutes off the bench for the ABs, and subsequently barred from ever representing Samoa. I'd say he'd be pretty much guaranteed regular gametime with Samoa, whereas he would struggle to nail down a consistent AB starting berth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

Any suggestions to what games I should watch this week lads, I have been only been dependant on the youtube highlights so far this season and I really want to watch a good game live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Any suggestions to what games I should watch this week lads, I have been only been dependant on the youtube highlights so far this season and I really want to watch a good game live.

Sharks vs Crusaders could be a belter, two good sides with title aspirations who like to keep ball in hand. Both sides are without some key players (McCaw, Read, Carter possibly Dagg, Alberts and Bismarck Du Plesis) but it still has got plenty of talent on show. It's on before Leinster-Wasps.

Force-Rebels isn't particularly interesting, Rebels were hockeyed by the Sharks recently and look to have serious internal issues. Force are a fairly pragmatic team reliant on taking penalties when available, hard working, not very incisive bar Alfi Mafi. I fancy him to tear up the Rebels defence which has been abject this season. If the Force take charge there will be tries in this one.

Cheetahs vs Stormers is potentially interesting for the wildcard ramifications, Cheetahs are on the up this year and a win against the Stormers could make the run in for the very close. The backrow battle looks very tasty as both sides have some real talent. The Cheetahs live up to their name with some very good backs too. Leinster fans might want to watch it as rumored signings, Gio Aplon and Willie Le Roux will be on opposite sides.

Blues Highlanders could be a cracker as well, both sides playing entertaining rugby and both desperate for a win! Has the making of a 60 point thriller!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Is Afoa coming back to NZ? He'd definitely go straight into a SXV team, no worries, but he might have his work a bit cut out getting back into the ABs. I'd welcome it, all the same, it's not common that players turn around and head back to NZ while still at a good level. From what I've seen of Brad Thorn this season, I no longer think he's AB material...fair enough at 38!

The wife is living in NZ with the kids while he is in Ulster. He wants to leave at the end of this season but he doesn't want to leave Ulster in the lurch so is looking for a replacement for Ulster. If he can't find someone then he is going to see out his contract before moving back to NZ.

The wife is living in NZ with the kids while he is in Ulster. He wants to leave at the end of this season but he doesn't want to leave Ulster in the lurch so is looking for a replacement for Ulster. If he can't find someone then he is going to see out his contract before moving back to NZ.

A man with honour!

http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=38466

Really good to see Savea Jr coming through. Was seriously impressed with him for Wellington in the ITM. Himself and Cane to slog it out for the 7 jersey for the AB's.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

two good games so far this morning. huge result by the kings. a few missed kicks by both sides made it exciting finish. highlanders disappointing as usual. remember how class adam thomson was for them over the last few years. no one stepping up now. gear and poki are only game changers

SimmerDean wrote: »
    two good games so far this morning. huge result by the kings. a few missed kicks by both sides made it exciting finish. highlanders disappointing as usual. remember how class adam thomson was for them over the last few years. no one stepping up now. gear and poki are only game changers

Couldn't watch either, but delighted for the Kings...and the NZ franchises. Kings haven't been so bad this season. Now for the crusaders to beat the sharks...Thomson was great at SXV level but never impressed internationally for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

Couldn't watch either, but delighted for the Kings...and the NZ franchises. Kings haven't been so bad this season. Now for the crusaders to beat the sharks...Thomson was great at SXV level but never impressed internationally for me.

Your probably right about Thomson for the AB's. He would have been offered a decent contract to stay if had impressed enough for them. Delighted for the Kings aswell. Had no faith in them at the start of the year but they seem to have some decent players especially in the pack. Think the Brumbies lose something without Mogg at 15.

SimmerDean wrote: »
    Your probably right about Thomson for the AB's. He would have been offered a decent contract to stay if had impressed enough for them. Delighted for the Kings aswell. Had no faith in them at the start of the year but they seem to have some decent players especially in the pack. Think the Brumbies lose something without Mogg at 15.

Apparently Mogg is the quickest player in Brumbies history, heard he was 2 yards quicker this year than last yr and broke all the speed records this season, his pace gives ACT something else altogether.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

the kings have some physicality I tellya that,some complete specimens as well in the 2nd and backrows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Brumbies look like they've crashed back to earth. Should've drawn last week and now this. Australian conference looking supremely weak. Force, Rebels and Waratahs absolute pushovers and Brumbies not looking so good either.

Right, hard day at work, now back home, beer in hand, and hoping for a good 'saders performance. C'mon lads.

Just watched Blues v Landers highlights - how chatty is Steve Walsh with the TMO?: check that mate, thanks mate, anytime mate, no worries mate, did I just say mate, mate...

Top NZ halfbacks on form: TJ & Weepu for me

lurtz wrote: »
    the kings have some physicality I tellya that,some complete specimens as well in the 2nd and backrows

Need a bit of Daniel Adongo to beef it up even more!

Right, hard day at work, now back home, beer in hand, and hoping for a good 'saders performance. C'mon lads.

Just watched Blues v Landers highlights - how chatty is Steve Walsh with the TMO?: check that mate, thanks mate, anytime mate, no worries mate, did I just say mate, mate...

Top NZ halfbacks on form: TJ & Weepu for me

Looks like TJ will have overtaken Azza Smith anyway by the playoffs and All Black selection. It'll be down to which two out of Piri and TKB and TJ he wants.

Nice try - setup by the Freuan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

That was some "don't argue" by Freuan!

And Sithole is on!

Think TJ was gonna be nailed down for an AB cap last season until he unfortunately broke his ankle, this yr he seems to be passing a whole lot more, very dangerous sniper, would like to see him do more of what he was exceptional at last year. TKB is a class act too, weepu has all the experience in the world and is in great shape whilst smith has been very disappointing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

And Sithole is on!

I read that wrong initially...

I read that wrong initially...

Yeah, it's a crap name!

Man, this constant referring to the TMO is starting to get on my nerves...suspect it will makes its way into NH rugby too, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Yeah, it's a crap name!

oh no... :o

oh no... :o

Couldn't resist...

Yeah, it's a crap name!

Man, this constant referring to the TMO is starting to get on my nerves...suspect it will makes its way into NH rugby too, though.

As if the game wasn't stop start as it is! At least the S15 has fierce entertaining rugby! We'll be sleeping through games here soon

I have to say I like the TMO thing, I'd be happy to see it implemented here.

• Advertisement

As if the game wasn't stop start as it is! At least the S15 has fierce entertaining rugby! We'll be sleeping through games here soon

Well, if it continues, whether SH or NH, we'll all be eating donuts and coffee, and talking about nice plays, and it won't be a trophy but a bowl...

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I have to say I like the TMO thing, I'd be happy to see it implemented here.

That Freuan penalty was pretty borderline though.

Well, if it continues, whether SH or NH, we'll all be eating donuts and coffee, and talking about nice plays, and it won't be a trophy but a bowl...

Oh i know what'll happen, they'll turn 2 matches into day events like american football to make more money!! Sneaky feckers

That Freuan penalty was pretty borderline though.

I agree, it was a poor decision. The high tackle earlier on was the right call. I like the idea of the TMO checking things, but I still want them to get calls right. The Freuan one was wrong.

And the Dagg-meister is on!

• Advertisement
Advertisement