Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should Iran be allowed to create nuclear weapons?

• 16-02-2012 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

I've seen some people argue in other threads that "America is the threat to world peace" and "Leave the Iranians alone, Israel are the real scum" etc etc.

For those of you who are in favor of leaving them alone.

Do you think they should be allowed to create nuclear weapons? You know they hate the western world so much so that they'd probably start firing them in this direction the second they don't start getting their demands?

I for one say no. Whatever about the USA and others having nuclear capabilities... I don't think a country ruled by religion should be given such capabilities. Do you?

Should Iran be allowed create Nuclear Weapons? 258 votes

Yes, others have so why not them
    0% 0 votes
    No, it's too dangerous
    41% 106 votes
    I'm just going to derail this thread about Israel
    58% 152 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

nobody should be allowed to create nuclear weapons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

It could be argued they should and also that they shouldn't.

But in these circumstances "Fuck No" is a perfectly valid answer in place of a reasonable argument.

So, Fuck No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

No ****ing way. The views they hold on the western world are enough to justify them never having this sort of weaponry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Seachmall wrote: »
    It could be argued they should and also that they shouldn't.

But in these circumstances "Fuck No" is a perfectly valid answer in place of a reasonable argument.

So, Fuck No.

Why?

Which country is the only one to ever use them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Surely you mean the creation of nuclear 'power' and not 'weapons'? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭GowlBag

Damn straight they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Not really for me to say whether they should or not.

But the idea that anyone who believes in an afterlife or armageddon scenarios can have access to nuclear weapons scares the **** out of me.

Why?

Which country is the only one to ever use them?

I don't really care which country is more likely to use them as long as that country won't use them against this country.

You can argue about "fairness" and "bullying" all you want, but I'm not in the habit of giving likely enemies weapons of mass destruction.

Not really for me to say whether they should or not.

But the idea that anyone who believes in an afterlife or armageddon scenarios can have access to nuclear weapons scares the **** out of me.

The country that gives the US the biggest diplomatic hard on at the moment have them (i.e pakistan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I don't really care which country is more likely to use them as long as that country won't use them against this country.

You can argue about "fairness" and "bullying" all you want, but I'm not in the habit of giving likely enemies weapons of mass destruction.

They are not my enemy. They are not an enemy of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Not necessarily, there has been a number of wars involving nuclear power against non nuclear powers since WW2. The USA/ Korean Vietnam Iraq and Afghanistan, Russia/ Chechnya, China/ Vietnam, Britain Argentina, France/ Algeria and Israel/ Egypt Jordan Lebanon and Syria.

None of these nuclear powers used nuclear weapons they all fought conventional wars. I think there would be huge reluctance on any nation deploying such a weapon, it really would make that nation a pariah forever.

Personally I would rather see no power with these weapons, so no I am not for any enlargement of the nuclear club.

Morlar wrote: »

We are enemies by proxy.

If we get hit in the crossfire it's more likely to be from their side.

I doubt the Iranian government wake up every morning worrying about the irish position on nuclear armaments.

Our nearest neighbour use nuclear power. There poses a far likelier threat to our safety than any iranian programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Sykk wrote: »
    I've seen some people argue in other threads that "America is the threat to world peace" and "Leave the Iranians alone, Israel are the real scum" etc etc.

For those of you who are in favor of leaving them alone.

Do you think they should be allowed to create nuclear weapons? You know they hate the western world so much so that they'd probably start firing them in this direction the second they don't start getting their demands?

I for one say no. Whatever about the USA and others having nuclear capabilities... I don't think a country ruled by religion should be given such capabilities. Do you?

The US was ruled by the religious right for years. Not to mention the fact that they are the only nation to have ever actually used nuclear weapons (barring some french incident I'm not entirely sure of the details of) If anyone cant be trusted it's them.
    Nobody should have nuclear weapons, they are expensive, dangerous and frankly obsolete in an era when the biggest threat to a nation is from small internal groups.
    Russia's stockpile did prevent the Beslan massacre.
    America's arsenal didnt stop 9/11.
    Trident in Britain didnt foil the 7/7 bombings.
    They should all be done away with and given that America sees itself as a world leader they should be the first to decommission their deadly arsenal.
    After that any nation attempting to build them should face serious sanctions. But for America to dictate who can and cant have them while they continue to stockpile the biggest arsenal in the world (not to mention funding Israel's psychotic programme) is hypocrisy of the highest order

Is it just me or is this becomng a re-run of WMD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

You know if they were to fire them at a European Country their first target would be Britain.

Should a nuke land in Britain, depending on the winds.. We'd be just as badly affected.

We are enemies by proxy.

If we get hit in the crossfire it's more likely to be from their side.

Iran has never killed Irish peacekeepers or used Irish passports to carry out illegal executions in foreign territories. Claiming Iran is threatening Ireland by proxy is hysterical bullshít, the sort of things that warmongers say to try to get people onboard with attacking a country which has never, ever threatened us or our people in any way shape or form whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Nuclear weapons for some, miniature american flags for others.

Iran has never killed Irish peacekeepers or used Irish passports to carry out illegal executions in foreign territories. Claiming Iran is threatening Ireland by proxy is hysterical bullshít, the sort of things that warmongers say to try to get people onboard with attacking a country which has never, ever threatened us or our people in any way shape or form whatsoever.

We're an in close proximity of a likely target.

We are enemies by proxy.

stimpson wrote: »
    Nuclear weapons for some, miniature american flags for others.

With Intel inside.

• Advertisement

We're an in close proximity of a likely target.

We are enemies by proxy.

First, Iran has never fired a nuclear weapon at another country. Second they have never fired a nuclear weapon at Britain. Third they have never threatened to fire a nuclear weapon at Britain. It's a ludicrous, hysterical proposition.

You know if they were to fire them at a European Country their first target would be Britain.

Should a nuke land in Britain, depending on the winds.. We'd be just as badly affected.

Have they got that kind of firepower?

First, Iran has never fired a nuclear weapon at another country. Second they have never fired a nuclear weapon at Britain. Third they have never threatened to fire a nuclear weapon at Britain. It's a ludicrous, hysterical proposition.

If push does come to shove I'd rather not have nuclear weapons flying in my direction.

I'm not suggesting push will come to shove, only that if it does I don't want nuclear weapons flying in my direction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I think every human should get 1 nuclear weapon. Might liven things up a bit around here.

Hydrogen Fusion bomb is where it's at

Have they got that kind of firepower?

Yes. Iran is in possession of Ballistic Missiles

Is it just me or is this becomng a re-run of WMD

No they are definitely developing these weapons the loon has even publically stated it.

I can see his point of view, Ahmadinejad has watched an invasion of Iraq and Israel have about 150 warheads. Perhaps Iran having the bomb will keep the peace. These weapons did keep the "cold war" cold, but we did come very close to Armageddon on a few occasions, 2 incidents been an error.

I would worry more about Pakistan's nuclear arsenal more then I would worry about Iran's pending one.

If push does come to shove I'd rather not have nuclear weapons flying in my direction.

I'm not suggesting push will come to shove, only that if it does I don't want nuclear weapons flying in my direction.

There are too many if's in your posts on this subject, in my view. It would also be incorrect to assume Iran is the only viable threat, or most likely threat to this country. Iranian politicians speak hot air and rhetoric, if you actually look at the respective record of Iran and other countries in the region, the ones to be wary of are the ones where the politicians say and claim one thing and then privately engage in the exact opposite. Iran is not a threat to this country. Neither were Iraq, Libya, Bahrain, Egypt etc. Not one of them has ever threatened this country engaged in killing it's citizens, using it's passports to carry out international murders etc.

44leto wrote: »
    No they are definitely developing these weapons the loon has even publically stated it.

I can see his point of view, Ahmadinejad has watched an invasion of Iraq and Israel have about 150 warheads. Perhaps Iran having the bomb will keep the peace. These weapons did keep the "cold war" cold, but we did come very close to Armageddon on a few occasions, 2 incidents been an error.

I would worry more about Pakistan's nuclear arsenal more then I would worry about Iran's pending one.

Then why isnt the same level of pressure being applied to the pakistani authorities?

There are too many if's in your posts on this subject, in my view. It would also be incorrect to assume Iran is the only viable threat, or most likely threat to this country. Iranian politicians speak hot air and rhetoric, if you actually look at the respective record of Iran and other countries in the region, the ones to be wary of are the ones where the politicians say and claim one thing and then privately engage in the exact opposite. Iran is not a threat to this country. Neither were Iraq, Libya, Bahrain, Egypt etc. Not one of them has ever threatened this country engaged in killing it's citizens, using it's passports to carry out international murders etc.

I'd prefer if nobody had nuclear weapons but if I had to pick one country to have them I'd rather pick a much friendlier country.

And my position is based on a very, very small chance of shit hitting the fan but I believe that when facing even the smallest possibility of annihilation: fuck objectivity and fairness, just survive.

• Advertisement

Iran isnt a real threat. At least not now.

Then why isnt the same level of pressure being applied to the pakistani authorities?

They already have a bomb. Check out what happened after the North Koreans tested a nuke. No more sabre rattling from the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Consider: America, have one of the largest nuculear stockpiles in the world - and they are trying to stop other people using them?! It makes no sense.

And don't forget Americans are the only ones to ever have actually used them. Not that a lot of them seems to care, considering their army is made mainly out of rednecks anyway with a "Just nuke the fcukers" Attitude.

They already have a bomb. Check out what happened after the North Koreans tested a nuke. No more sabre rattling from the US.

Whats going to happen if and when the Iranians test their nuke?

Because they already have them and so has their big enemy India. But the country is unstable and the Taliban are moving in.

I don't know what the Taliban would do with an access to about 200 nuclear bombs and a missile system capable of delivering them. That to me is the nightmare.

Consider: America, have one of the largest nuculear stockpiles in the world - and they are trying to stop other people using them?! It makes no sense.

And don't forget Americans are the only ones to ever have actually used them. Not that a lot of them seems to care, considering their army is made mainly out of rednecks anyway with a "Just nuke the fcukers" Attitude.

Hypocrisy personified?

• Advertisement

44leto wrote: »
    Because they already have them and so has their big enemy India. But the country is unstable and the Taliban are moving in.

I don't know what the Taliban would do with an access to about 200 nuclear bombs and a missile system capable of delivering them. That to me is the nightmare.

How would the taliban gain access to the pakistani nuclear stockpile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

nuclear technology should be available for anyone to progress scientific discovery and the knowledge of humanity. Using the technology as a weapon deplorable. However, any country in possession of nuclear weapons has no moral authority to claim another should not be allowed to posses them.

This is a ridiculous argument that's been made a few times so far.

Despite the loss of life. They were right to use them in the scenario that unveiled.

Japans "God" Emperor wouldn't stop fighting, though the USA wanted to and lets not forget who attacked first eh?

Thousands of Japanese lives =/= Thousands of American and Japanese lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

This is a country that stone women to death over religious beliefs and 54% of people think that they should be allowed equip themselves with Nuclear weapons?

I hope this poll is not serious..

Smcgie wrote: »
    This is a country that stone women to death over religious beliefs and 54% of people think that they should be allowed equip themselves with Nuclear weapons?

I hope this poll is not serious..

The US electocute their citizens instead

• Advertisement

Spacedog wrote: »
    However, any country in possession of nuclear weapons has no moral authority to claim another should not be allowed to posses them.

I really don't get this mentality.

Are people of the opinion that it's only "fair" to let them have nuclear weapons because the US and Britain do?

Jesus, that's a fucking moronic position to take.

This is a ridiculous argument that's been made a few times so far.

Despite the loss of life. They were right to use them in the scenario that unveiled.

Japans "God" Emperor wouldn't stop fighting, though the USA wanted to and lets not forget who attacked first eh?

Thousands of Japanese lives =/= Thousands of American and Japanese lives.

If you are excusing the use of nuclear weapons by the us why should anyone else be any different?

I really don't get this mentality.

Are people of the opinion that it's only "fair" to let them have nuclear weapons because the US and Britain do?

Jesus, that's a fucking moronic position to take.

The opposite position is hypocritical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

The US electocute their citizens instead

Thats called progress

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Thats called progress

The electric chair and lethal injection is progress?

Whats going to happen if and when the Iranians test their nuke?

I assume the yanks will cool their boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

The electric chair and lethal injection is progress?

Yep, much more efficient, dont you think?

I assume the yanks will cool their boots.

How?

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Yep, much more efficient, dont you think?

And how long do they spend on death row beforehand and how much does that cost?

The opposite position is hypocritical

"Hypocritical"?

Jesus Christ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement