Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IPad2-3G, for the older person

• 16-02-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi Everyone, I am looking for some simple and straightforward advice.
    I have just bought a new iPad 2 with 3 G and am interested in learning how to use it. I have broadband at home and can connect to it while at home. I have bought a micro sim card from 3 to test out coverage while out and about, and so far am pleased with coverage. I love the size of the screen and feel comfortable using it. I expect to be using it alot outside my home..Although I use my mobile phone a lot for calls and texts I have never mastered much else on it as I find the screen too small. I have never had a smart phone.
    My question is , would I be better to buy a new iPhone 4s and use this for calls and texts and also to tether to iPad, or should I keep the 2 separate, -mobile phone and iPad. Would it be an advantage to have a iPhone while learning to use the iPad? (3 are doing a good deal at present with iPhone 4 s and all you can eat data)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I suppose the first thing to say is that on this forum, advice tends to be a little, well, biased. :)

I find my iPhone is an ideal companion to my iPad. I would use the personal hotspot feature of the iPhone and connect my iPad to the phone. I also enjoy the fact that there is seamless transfer of things between the devices (photos, contacts, music, etc.).

However, it doesn't sound like you would be doing these kinds of things (correct me if I am wrong). So I would be thinking that you treat them as two independent devices and have a look at what is important to you in a phone. Is the bigger screen of, say, the Galaxy Note of interest to you (fantastic screen for a phone, though it is a tad on the bigger size), or would you prefer something smaller, maybe even an old-shcool phone with regular buttons as opposed to a smartphone?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Bookleen

Thanks Tom for your reply. I had a look at the Samsung galaxy note. In fact I think I may have bought that instead of the iPad if I had known about it. It certainly is cute. However, I wish to keep the costs down now and am back to deciding what's the most cost effective way forward now.
    I think I will go along with 3's package and get all you can eat data with a new iphone4s for approx €40 per month.
    I hope there is a way to use the iPad live without always having to move the micro chip from one machine to the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056540609

Looks like tethering is blocked for new customers at three.

Ooh! I must check that out. Thanks for letting me know.

I have used the 3 micro sim card for the iPad and got good coverage.
    I now wish to learn what to do when traveling to Spain later this month. I will be away for a week and would like to bring and use my iPad. I will not be staying in a WiFi spot.
    What are the best deals for micro sim cards here in Ireland at present and also what is the cheapest option to use while in Spain?
    All advice welcome!

• Advertisement
Advertisement