Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I finished episode one earlier - it took a Steam sale to finally break my resilience to anything involving zombies ;)

Very impressed - the Telltale style of storytelling finally coming into its own. It's like the best Choose Your Own Adventure game yet. Choices that aren't merely good or bad, and already decisions have actual consequences, and not predictable ones. Although the farmer guy kept telling me to look after my daughter Clem even though I told him numerous times she wasn't my daughter :pac:

Still, I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far - plus, QTEs that actually work?! - and going by what I'm reading above seems like I have some rough times ahead! Glad I waited 'til they were all out, and now I can gorge on it over the next week like a boxset.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

You lucky b@stard johnny getting to play through all of them for the first time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

TEAR :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I finished episode one earlier - it took a Steam sale to finally break my resilience to anything involving zombies ;)

Very impressed - the Telltale style of storytelling finally coming into its own. It's like the best Choose Your Own Adventure game yet. Choices that aren't merely good or bad, and already decisions have actual consequences, and not predictable ones. Although the farmer guy kept telling me to look after my daughter Clem even though I told him numerous times she wasn't my daughter :pac:

Still, I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far - plus, QTEs that actually work?! - and going by what I'm reading above seems like I have some rough times ahead! Glad I waited 'til they were all out, and now I can gorge on it over the next week like a boxset.

Hmmm I'd be interested to hear your views on the game as you progress, specifically as you're someone playing it (effectively) in one go, as opposed to a lot of us who had to endure the tension and suspense of waiting for the next episode to appear. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Just finished ep. 5 there. Hit me right in the feelings!
    Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Was dreading playing it.

Ending wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but still really sad.

Results screen was broken for me too, so I have no idea what most people choose during that ep.
    I let them cut my arm off, it was a fools hope, thinking Lee might live, but once you get out of the attic and see how pale he is, its really game over, how does it play out if you leave the arm?

Results screen was working fine for me on Xbox.
    I chose to not cut my arm off and during the story lee blacks out a few times and can feel himself turning. I seem to have been in the minority as only 29% chose to keep their arm. Seem to get the same ending though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

Brilliant game. A little disappointed with how short Episode 5 is.

The QTE's can get a little annoying, but thankfully the game isn't overloaded with them.
    The choices at the end of Ep.5 for me were buggy too. I guess chopping Lee's arm off is one, but what are the rest? Surely a lot of what happens in Ep.5 depends on who came with Lee?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Just bought all 5 episodes on Steam for €12.49 so I guess I'll be laying into it over the next few days too. Going by the posts in this thread I'm not sure if I should be excited about it or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

MadYaker wrote: »
    Just bought all 5 episodes on Steam for €12.49 so I guess I'll be laying into it over the next few days too. Going by the posts in this thread I'm not sure if I should be excited about it or what?

Easily the best game this year

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,576 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

MadYaker wrote: »

Well as an actual game it's not going to break the mould - think of it more of an interactive story, with some of the most well-rounded and human characters to appear in a video-game. If you're not taken by the charms of Clem & Lee your heart is made of ice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

i think that it is best enjoyed in episodes and not to rush it. finish an episode and leave it for a week, almost like a tv show. i think when the decisions sit with you for a week you think about them and were they the right ones etc. my 2 cents on it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    i think that it is best enjoyed in episodes and not to rush it. finish an episode and leave it for a week, almost like a tv show. i think when the decisions sit with you for a week you think about them and were they the right ones etc. my 2 cents on it anyway

Yeah I have feck all free time at the moment so there is no way id be able to play through in one or two sittings. It will take me a few weeks. Is it closely linked to the TV show?

Doesnt have much to do with the tv show as the story is canon, just like the comic. You will find a familiar face in episode 1 tho. Book 2 'road to woodbury' is about lilly's journey but so far theres no mention if her meetibg the gang from the game and her dads name isnt larry so I think its a new story. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Listen to the credits song again, all the feelings come rushing back :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NeTbwsm1yg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Episode 2, two word review (and a smilie):
    Salt Lick
    :eek:

Keeping up the tension and the quality, even if I saw the old
    psycho hillbilly cannibals twist coming from the second I stepped onto that unusually serene dairy farm
    . Some genuinely disquieting, upsetting and poignant moments throughout - not adjectives I get to use with regularity when it comes to video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

yeah great game, finished all chapters and pick up this puppy for only 12.99, it took almost 12 hours but I had fun, great way to tell a story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Played chapter 1 yesterday, fairly enjoyable. Very different from other games which is refreshing. Looking forward to playing on, though I don't think I'll rush it tbh.

Bone-idle.ie is back with cast and crew interviews. This time with Carley.

http://www.bone-idle.ie/index.php/the-walking-dead-interviews-nicole-vigil-aka-carley/

Warning, Spoilers about Carleys storyline!!

EDIT:

Interview with Episodes 4's Molly is up now as well.

http://www.bone-idle.ie/index.php/the-walking-dead-interviews-erin-ashe-aka-molly/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

FFFFFFCCCCCCUUUUUUKKKKKKK. Started ep 5 the other night, went to play there and the game has reset me back to the start of ep 1, have to play through it all again to get to see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

stuchyg wrote: »
    FFFFFFCCCCCCUUUUUUKKKKKKK. Started ep 5 the other night, went to play there and the game has reset me back to the start of ep 1, have to play through it all again to get to see what happens

Similar thing happened to me. I started the game up to play Ep.5 and it said I hadn't played Episode 2 yet!

If this is the case for you and you're playing on Steam, try the steps in this link: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2913992

Worked for me. Hopefully it'll do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

For those as similar problems to me, I was on Xbox and exited to the dash board, went back into TWD and it still said I was on ep 1, however if you select this save you should be able to pick to do episode 5 with all your choices still intact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The last of our interviews with the cast and crew of The Walking Dead has just gone up on the site. They can all be found here

The latest include the Voice Director, The director of episode 4 and voice actors who played Carley and Molly as well as all the rest from before.

That is it for the moment but we are trying to get the writers too but will most likely be in the New Year as they are taking a well deserved holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Just got this a day or two ago, hadn't heard of it until I glanced this thread and saw how popular it was....so happy I came across it now. Such a powerful game..got to play it in one playthrough without the waits :D..really kicks ya in the balls throughout. Really intense..haven't felt that from a game before, although Red Dead Redemption came close enough on likeable characters front..! Since this is over now, can ye recommend any other games like this? Are TellTales other games similiar in the choose your own adventure type style?

Gametrailers asked it's fans on facebook what will be GOTY. Pretty nice result so far

309200_546343405379830_555809027_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The above pic please me greatly for 2 reasons.
    Walking Dead is winning.
    BO2 isn't even there

Halfway through episode four (I stopped playing last night on a relatively hopeful note - can't wait for it to come crashing down when I boot up again!). Three was a real downer - the
    roadside shooting
    was a straight-up 'fffuccckkkk!' moment. I appreciate the fact that Telltale have crafted events that are crushingly out of your hands - there's sometimes the illusion that you can make a difference, and emotional payoffs and shocks are much more powerful when you've been allowed try and 'fix' things. Not every game could get away with it, but this manages it.

I do have a slight bug on my Mac version - the 'prefs.prop' files aren't syncing properly, so I have to copy the updated version from my Telltale folder to my Steam folder (where the older one is usually outdated) everytime I want to play. Was a pain forum trawling to come to that ultimately straightforward fix :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Finished Episode 5 today. Epic & Gripping
    Cut off my own arm. Anyone who has played Heavy Rain will know the spot where you cut off your finger. It didn't bother me but to cut off your arm in this game was horrible.

Can't wait for the 2nd season. Is there any chance that Lee was simply dehydrated from blood loss & will be back for season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Can't wait for the 2nd season. Is there any chance that Lee was simply dehydrated from blood loss & will be back for season 2. [/SPOILER]
    None whatsoever, although the ending is sad, I think it was a good ending and I am pleased with it. Not to mention that you had the option of letting Clem shoot Lee and the game ended as soon as she shot him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Gametrailers asked it's fans on facebook what will be GOTY. Pretty nice result so far

309200_546343405379830_555809027_n.jpg

Sorry to quote a pic but that reminds me any news of a european retail release for this game, I know its been delayed by a week in the us.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rlsniper789

I loved this game so much! Fantastic story and characters.
    I was so sad when Carley died in episode 3 as she was one of my favourite characters and Kenny's death in Episode 5 was really sad too ;_;(oh and of course my choice to make Clem shoot Lee brought a tear to my eye)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Gonna hold off for the physical release. It's being released in the US on the 11th of Dec for $30. Hope I can pick it up then. My download limits ain't too high and prefer having a physical copy anyway!

Advertisement