Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Got to avoid spoilers in this thread. I just wanted to say that I just finished episode 1 and absolutely loved it. :)

Episode 2 next and I can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Got to avoid spoilers in this thread. I just wanted to say that I just finished episode 1 and absolutely loved it.

Episode 2 next and I can't wait

uhhh totally didnt copy and past Mr Es post.

So far this is more than a video game, those damn choices.......you know you cant pick the right one cos there is none. Brilliant tbh :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Played ep 1 last month and loved it, so picked up 2-5 in the xbl sale on the 28th.

However, my game refuses to load up episode 2? When I select episode 2, it brings me to the closing part of episode 1 which I have to play through again (
    arriving at the Motel
    ). Then it goes to credits and back to the title screen. When I try episode 2 again, the problem repeats itself?

Any fixes available?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Played ep 1 last month and loved it, so picked up 2-5 in the xbl sale on the 28th.

However, my game refuses to load up episode 2? When I select episode 2, it brings me to the closing part of episode 1 which I have to play through again (
    arriving at the Motel
    ). Then it goes to credits and back to the title screen. When I try episode 2 again, the problem repeats itself?

Any fixes available?

Trying to remember, but when you go to start a new episode you are actually at the end of the previous episode.
    You have to press R1(on PS3), iirc to get to episode two, maybe it's the same on the 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Syferus wrote: »
    Episode five was a little short but the pay-off was all there. The scene where
    Ben died and Kenny can die seemed like one too many deaths for the season and it made saving Ben in episode four seem pointless.
    Doesn't make it pointless. Kenny and Ben wouldn't have reconciled with each other if he fell. It brought their relationship to a logical closure point. Which is what the series is about really, people interacting with each other and trying to survive.

What's interesting about reading some of the different endings here is how similar they all are. Which is perfectly fine imo because of how well Telltale produce an illusion of being in control of the outcome of the story. That you can't derail the story from its natural conclusion doesn't make your relationships with the other characters any less meaningful. Although it does mean that it's the kind of game you really should only play once.
    I don't think that season 2 will be a direct carry-on either. The effect of this game's ending would be ruined if they did that. I hope they don't cave in and give everyone some closure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

snausages wrote: »
    What's interesting about reading some of the different endings here is how similar they all are. Which is perfectly fine imo because of how well Telltale produce an illusion of being in control of the outcome of the story. That you can't derail the story from its natural conclusion doesn't make your relationships with the other characters any less meaningful. Although it does mean that it's the kind of game you really should only play once.

This is pretty much how I feel. It was a great story and as we've seen from other games if you try to give the player total control over the story then it won't be as fleshed out. But Telltale have done a great job of making a really tight story while giving enough control that my experience is different from other peoples and I do feel that I got my own story.

Finished it there, great story deserves the praise for that.

But its not a great game in the game sense as control cant be finicky at times. Minor gripe but when you die because you click on the point you clicked on but the game didnt register is a bit crappy.

Happy enough with how my story ended, no idea how the next ones will pan out but cant see it working if they just change the controlling characters
    unless yours is dead, mine isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Only ever played the first part but that was because I decided to wait until the rest of the part were out and play it through in one go.
    Picked up the rest of the parts recently so once Far Cry 3 is finished this is next on my list.

On other Walking Dead related news you'd better keep hold of those save games as they are going the Mass Effect route :)
    The concept for The Walking Dead Season 2 is currently being formed by Telltale, and the developer is looking into the possibility of carrying saves over from the previous season.

Speaking with Red Bull UK, the firm’s CEO and co-founder, Dan Connors, said the team is looking into how user choices made during the game’s first season can be transferred over into the next.

“Right now we are just starting to form the concept for season two,” he said. “This all remains to be seen but we are definitely figuring out how to carry the saves over.”

Choices players made during the game affected the storyline, throughout the entire five-episode series. Telltale is hoping to be able to continue the player’s storyline as soon as the next entry is fired up.

Once Telltale is finished with The Walking Dead, Connors said the firm would like to tackle a larger franchise next time out.

“Coming from LucasArts we always felt we could do a great Star Wars story game,” he said. “We also love the idea of building out a deeper story to a great game franchise, something like Half Life Stories or Halo Stories.”

The Walking Dead Season 1 was a bona fide hit in 2012 and earned all sorts of “best-of” awards from numerous websites and walked away four VGAs, including the coveted Game of the Year Award.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/05/the-walking-dead-season-2-telltale-figuring-out-save-imports-looking-at-larger-franchises/

Only ever played the first part but that was because I decided to wait until the rest of the part were out and play it through in one go.
    Picked up the rest of the parts recently so once Far Cry 3 is finished this is next on my list.

On other Walking Dead related news you'd better keep hold of those save games as they are going the Mass Effect route :)

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/05/the-walking-dead-season-2-telltale-figuring-out-save-imports-looking-at-larger-franchises/

hmmm that can really only work if a certain character is the protagonist in the 2nd series. Seriously fcuking massive spoiler only read if you have completed the game.

Seriously
    Did anyone actually die as Lee at the end? there were options for Clem to kill me but i left him alive. Dont think it will work unless he is still alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

dreamers75 wrote: »
    hmmm that can really only work if a certain character is the protagonist in the 2nd series. Seriously fcuking massive spoiler only read if you have completed the game.

Seriously
    Did anyone actually die as Lee at the end? there were options for Clem to kill me but i left him alive. Dont think it will work unless he is still alive.

Ehhh, uh oh.
    But just thinking about it, if you leave Lee alive, are you going to play a walker in the next game?

• Advertisement

danthefan wrote: »
    Ehhh, uh oh.
    But just thinking about it, if you leave Lee alive, are you going to play a walker in the next game?

serious spoilers here...
    You assume he is going to die, i got a way different game than the above, my lee was fcuked but nothing more than hershel in tv show/comic had. Just needed medical treatment which i assume Molly could provide. Did he die on anyone is what i wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

danthefan wrote: »
    Ehhh, uh oh.
    Lee isn't alive . The results of the game are always the same, no matter what you choose, they all reach the same conclusion. - except maybe 1 or 2 things.
    -The cannibal brother dies - you either kill him, or leave him, and he gets eaten by zombies.
    -Carly dies in the shop, or she gets shot later. She dies though
    -Kenny apparently dies with Ben , else apparently dies saving Krysta.

It's all different routes to the exact same ending - conclusions.

So by that definition, if you can have Lee shot , he is dead.

And of you wouldn't play him as a zombie, You couldn't control his actions then. It goes against the whole purpose of a zombie.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Lee isn't alive . The results of the game are always the same, no matter what you choose, they all reach the same conclusion. - except maybe 1 or 2 things.
    -The cannibal brother dies - you either kill him, or leave him, and he gets eaten by zombies.

And of you wouldn't play him as a zombie, You couldn't control his actions then. It goes against the whole purpose of a zombie.

Seriously people if you have not played it do not read any of these spoilers :pac:
    Conslusions are correct but conclusions to a tv/comic end, Lee cant die mine isnt dead just passed out. The entire story hinges on him being alive enough to continue the story. Any other arc or playable character would be stupid and completly ruin the game/story (i wouldnt bother playing it if he was replaced, it would make no sense in the tv/comic book angle).

is your Lee dead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

SeantheMan wrote: »

Ehh, yeah, of course you're not going to play a walker. The point of that comment was to demonstrate that there probably aren't alternate endings where he lives/dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

After reading loads of how good this game was I decided to give it a shot, even though whatever footage I saw didn't wow me.

Got it last night and, yep, I definitely see where the praise is coming from. Top class game and has me sucked in, a small bit into Episode 3 already.

I find it more interesting than the TV show since it's keeping the dark tone and more in line with the comic with it's brutal nature, it's given me more "Woah" moments than it :pac: Even the GF is sucked into the storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

Just finished episode 5. Dear God, that ending......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Took the plunge (finally) yesterday, and played 2 episodes today. Haven't even finished the series and already Game of Last Year!

Funny though, it uses the same principle as Heavy Rain (QTE) but no-body is complaining about it. Granted, Heavy Rain may not have had the same hold, impact or story telling, but both games are QTE games, and no-one is complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Took the plunge (finally) yesterday, and played 2 episodes today. Haven't even finished the series and already Game of Last Year!

Funny though, it uses the same principle as Heavy Rain (QTE) but no-body is complaining about it. Granted, Heavy Rain may not have had the same hold, impact or story telling, but both games are QTE games, and no-one is complaining.

I'd go beyond not complaining and I would celebrate walking dead for using QTE's. This is the first game that has shown me that a QTE can be used effectively to improve a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Orim wrote: »
    I'd go beyond not complaining and I would celebrate walking dead for using QTE's. This is the first game that has shown me that a QTE can be used effectively to improve a game.
    Shenmue was the first game i played to use QTE properly.
    And there hasnt been a game since that i have played that used them effectively.Until Walking Dead

You know what i love about this game, if feels like resident evil used to back in the day.......... this game has reminded me how good survival horrors can be......... CAPCOM should take a few hints off these guys and go back to basics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Great to see that they're going ahead with a sequel.

I don't think a continuation on the story line would work.
    Picking up the same story after that ending is only going to disappoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

BizzyC wrote: »
    Great to see that they're going ahead with a sequel.

I don't think a continuation on the story line would work.
    Picking up the same story after that ending is only going to disappoint.
    I think a sequel on a new storyline would work better too , but maybe have some of the bit part charcters in season 1 drop in for a bigger role.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The problem is that for Heavy Rain, too much of the QTE is used to apply makeup, fry an egg or tie a tie for a 50-something year old police chief who should know how to tie his own goddamn tie by now. It just felt like they had to keep thinking of ways to get you to actually do something rather than spending too long just watching it, but in many cases it actually took you out of the story.

With TWD, everything you do feels like it's necessary in some way and keeps you immersed in the story.

I finished Episode 3 last night. I was slightly disappointed with Episode 2 (still thought it was great, but a little disappointed when thinking back over it), but holy sh*t, Episode 3 makes up for it and more. Simply amazing the whole way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Picked this up in the Steam sale. Didnt think a game like this was for me, but you can't argue with the quality of writing here. Really great characters you care about make up for a lot. For me they made up for the fact that there isnt really much "game" here.

So my question is would you like see more traditional / mainstream aspects of gaming in series 2, if it was possible? If you think about the sections of the game where you did some shooting, instead of a house of the dead style on rails thing, wouldnt it be nice to take control of Lee in 3rd person ala Resident Evil?

No one wants to lose the thing that makes TWD great, drama and characterization, but Id really love to see that combined with some 3rd person exploring, selectable weapons, more combat options, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Just finished it there. Wow. Just wow. Easy to see why this won so many awards.

Going to go back through this thread and read the spoilers now, will give a proper post about it then!

Right, i definitely played different to most other people here.
    I sided with Kenny the whole time iirc. There was something about him which i liked, and it paid off for me as he helped me in the Pharmacy in Episode 1, and other times which i can't remember. I did save his son though, and stuck up for Duck not being bit, so he owed me. I picked Carly and shouted "YOU BITCH!" when yer one shot her at the train. Still held onto her for the journey as i didn't know what to do with her, and she snuck up behind me in the RV when i was getting the pencil and told me she could have killed me, but instead nutted me and drove off.

She is definitely going to make a return, and it's going to go one of two ways. I did help kill Larry (god, i hated him!), or she will grow to love me when i tell her that she shot an innocent person.

I killed the first St. John, let the second one get eaten. I knew there was something up with them from the start, but started to doubt myself for a while. Never thought they would be cannibals!

Anyway, i let Ben fall, it's what he wanted. And he might as well have done something useful in death as he done feck all useful in life. And he was the cause of Carley dieing, and Chuck dieing by not helping Clem.

I stole the food, so the stalker was well annoyed at me. Was great to see that Clem was a crack shot! Really showed that she loved me regardless of seeing me kill a few dicks.

Had her shoot me in the end, i was green and my eyes were a horrible shade. Better to be put out of my misery, but gave her a few words of wisdom before dieing (accidently told her to get the gun first, hope this doesn't have a knock on effect in Season 2).

Gutted to see that Molly just up and left. Hopefully she's back in Season 2, i liked her. But, returning characters usually means they're going to die at some stage. Speaking of, Kenny jumped into that room to save Christa, but i didn't actually see or near him die, just a bit of "No". So i reckon he's still alive.

Also, i had told everyone (that is, Kenny, Christa, Oden (?). They all said straight away that they would help me, so that's where my choices helped me.

Anyway, best series of games i've played since Legacy of Kain, and voice acting on par with it. Bring on the end of Season 2, so i can play them all in 2 days again!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finished Episode 4 last night. This game just keeps getting better and better.

My only complaint though:
    I let Ben fall to his death in the bell tower, but I didn't f*cking mean to. The timer for that one goes quicker than any timer before so I didn't know I had so little time. I barely finished reading which button was which when the option was taken away from me because the timer finished. Because it's at the end, I'm going to replay that bit. It might even be a case where Ben falls anyway and the choice is merely to see what would you do, but I want to at least try to save him (despite me essentially kicking him out of the group a few minutes earlier).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

So are consequences far-reaching and more mature than Mass Effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    So are consequences far-reaching and more mature than Mass Effect?
    Not really far- reaching as such, but the game is still pretty effective at making it seem like your choices matter. So yeah, more mature definitely. As long as you let yourself get fooled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Played through the 5 episodes over the weekend and it really was worth the wait. Easily one of my favourite games and it amazing how even the little choices can have an effect on you (even if they don't impact the game).

Now to finally read back through this thread at all the lovely spoilers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Picked this game up in the recent sale. Just finished the first episode today great stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

What a great game as everyone else has said i can see how the awards came flooding in for it.

First time in years i have actually got addicted to a game cannot wait for the next one.

Advertisement